Replacing Bathroom Fan (ductless)?

Yuka

Mar 2, 2012, 3:48:55 PM3/2/12
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone replaced their bathroom fans?  They are over 20+ years old and we got around to removing the filter and they were filthy and disgusting.
Apparently the filters are so old that they no longer carry this type of fans and if you go to Home Depot or Lowes they don't carry a ductless bathroom
fan since it is required by code to have a ducted fan.

I found a Broan ductless fan on Amazon with replacement charcoal filter but I thought I would ask the forum to see if anyone has replaced theirs or
managed to find a replacement filter.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Sturges

Mar 3, 2012, 9:59:36 AM3/3/12
to The Met Woodland Hills Group
Those filters wear out fast. They only last a couple months.

We unplugged ours and just use the nicer filter for the air
conditioner which can go three months. It helps to set a recurring
appointment in your phone or wherever to remind you to change the
filter.

On Mar 2, 12:48 pm, Yuka <yukatakah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone replaced their bathroom fans?  They are over 20+ years old and
> we got around to removing the filter and they were filthy and disgusting.
> Apparently the filters are so old that they no longer carry this type of
> fans and if you go to Home Depot or Lowes they don't carry a ductless
> bathroom
> fan since it is required by code to have a ducted fan.
>
> I found a Broan ductless fan<http://www.amazon.com/682-Charcoal-Filter-Duct-Free-Plastic/dp/B001E6...>on Amazon with replacement charcoal filter but I thought I would ask the

Yuka

Mar 3, 2012, 10:19:28 AM3/3/12
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
where did you find replacement filters for the bathroom fan?  Are you talking about the AC filter or the bathroom fan filter?

Jack@Met

Mar 7, 2012, 10:33:08 PM3/7/12
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
I would be curious to replace our bathroom fan as well. What did you end up doing?

Dresch

Mar 12, 2012, 11:55:46 PM3/12/12
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
If you have a dryer vent It's fairly easy to run the vent from the master bathroom fan to the dryer vent. You just need to do a little drywall cutting above the dryer and insert a Y connector and two dampers.

Yuka

Mar 18, 2012, 2:19:58 AM3/18/12
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
We installed the new bathroom fan.  It is quieter than the original fan we had.  I can't say that it has improved the way air is circulated when we shower but that is a problem with the fact that we have no vents blowing the air outside.  We didn't expect for that to change.  Since the original filters couldn't be repurchased and the filter was probably the original filter from the 80s, we didn't have a choice but to replace the fan completely.

Dresch - unfortunately our dryer is located on the otherside of our living room.  I guess we could do what you suggested for our 2nd bathroom.  You would need to break open the drywall ceiling in the bathroom leading to the dryer right?

Dresch

Mar 21, 2012, 7:23:22 PM3/21/12
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Yuka - that's correct. It's fairly easy to run the flexible duct tubing from any bathroom fan to the dryer. The flexible tubing just runs across the ceiling and you may just be able pull it along side your existing HVAC tubing. I pulled mine from the master bath ceiling where the ventless fan was and then cut through a wall which led to the ceiling above the dryer. Once you get to the dryer, you'll need to cut through the dryer ceiling to access the dryer vent. I was able to do all of my cutting with a simple drywall knife.  You then take the "T" or "Y" vent connector and add two dampers (a flap the keeps air from blowing back into the dryer when the bath fan is on and vice versa for the dryer) - one to the dryer side and one to your new bathroom ducting side. Then you just connect everything and patch the hole in the ceiling above the dryer.

This may sound a little difficult, but it's actually pretty easy and mine works perfectly. I did this because we starting noticing mold in the master bath because the ventless fan DOES NOT WORK. It's criminal to think that the HOA can get away with grandfathering this in to pass inspection when it is clearly a code violation. There are several other code violations that I won't get into that I've had to spend time and money to correct.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Dresch

Mar 21, 2012, 7:53:00 PM3/21/12
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
I would highly recommend doing this modification to your bathroom fan. Your health is at risk without it. If anyone is not comfortable sawing through walls, running ducting etc. I would highly recommend calling a licensed service such as Mr. Handyman or other reputable chain. I know that Mr. Handyman is licensed and have very competitive rates.

I can also walk you through the process if you like.

Yuka

Mar 22, 2012, 2:14:43 AM3/22/12
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dresch for the advice and guidance.

Opening up the walls and ceiling is not as intimidating to us as patching up the drywall and adding texture to make it look seamless.  The problem for us is that we have the C plan which means our living room is located in the middle with the 1st bedroom on the right and 2nd bedroom on the left.  Our master bathroom is the farthest from the dryer and guest bathroom is close to the dryer which we hardly ever use.

Is the dryer vent the only vent that blows air out?
So far we are okay with showering with the door open but what does everyone do?  Showering with the door open helps with the fogged mirrors and wet walls.  Mike do you run your dehumidifier only when you shower?  I'm curious how others deal with taking showers to prevent mold, if anyone is okay to share that would be great.

It's not like you can tell your guest, roommate, future tenants to please shower with the door open!!!!  :)  "creepy!"
Yuka

Dresch

Mar 22, 2012, 1:43:20 PM3/22/12
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
Patching drywall and spray texturing on the patch is pretty easy, but like I say, all of this can be done by a licensed handyman service. For your layout of Plan C, you would take the ducting through the bathroom wall from the fan area and directly across the ceiling of the kitchen and dining area and then go through the wall/ceiling of the W/D area. There should be a direct path from your bathroom ceiling because the ceiling joists run the length of the room from side to side. For me it would be worth doing to avoid any potential issues with mold.

Hit Sets

Mar 23, 2012, 10:59:53 AM3/23/12
to The Met Woodland Hills Group on behalf of Dresch

Can anyone guestimate how much this is going to cost? (Assuming we hire a handyman)...

Groups "The Met Woodland Hills Condo Owners" group.

To visit this group: http://groups.google.com/group/TheMetWoodlandHills

in...@absolute-electric.com

May 5, 2015, 10:34:48 AM5/5/15
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
All of you People Need to be aware that forced air is like water, or electricity, and follows the path of least resistance.If you 'Y' or connect your bath fan vent to the dryer duct, then when the dryer runs, it will force hot, moist air back through the bath fan. which kind of defeats the reason for venting.The clothes dryer is a HEATING appliance, and the IRC building code is very specific about the dryer hose being impervious to heat. whereas the bathfan hose may be plastic.The 2006 IRC Dictates that dryer venting shall be independent of all other systems.Article #  M1502.1  For those folks that may not be aware of building codes, the IRC stands for International Residential code. and it is in place, and exists to protect the general public from themselves, and un scrupulous contractors            Cole-Retired inspector

JennyK

May 6, 2015, 10:07:33 AM5/6/15
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
Mike-

He's not from the South- he doesn't know the proper usage of the word "Y'all"...?   :-)
Thanks for the heads up on that, Cole.

-Jenny

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 8:14:16 AM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
What do you mean 'you people'?

Building5 William

May 7, 2015, 12:15:12 AM5/7/15
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I was also looking for a way to add a vent to the outside from the bathroom, but the HOA refuses to allow this !

Like others, I wonder how HOA can get away with this clear violation of building code just because they are grandfathered.
This clearly needs to be changed and allow residents to make this upgrade.  We need to voice this concern.

As for alternatives, the dryer vent is an option but that also violates building code......

So basically we are stuck between a useless HOA who's more concerned about building looks than our health, and violating
building codes our-self.

Free33World .

May 8, 2015, 1:31:52 PM5/8/15
to Building5 William via Met Google Groups, The Met Woodland Hills Group on behalf of Yuka
i agree, we need to do something about this. can anyone talk to a lawyer about this violation? i also want to change my fan as i notice it doesnt even have any air flow even if its inside only and not vented to the outside. I want to replace the fan so that it can at least circulate the air.  right now i only see it blow a very small win in 1 small direction as opposed to covering the whole rectangular area. i hope im making sense explaining this, but basically the air coming out of that fan is nothing!

i have bought a small dehumidifier that i'm hoping works good, but not sure.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

sdfa...@hotmail.com

Oct 13, 2015, 8:05:09 PM10/13/15
to Met Google Groups
First off Cole, you need to read again, but carefully this time - "You then take the "T" or "Y" vent connector and add two dampers (a flap the keeps air from blowing back into the dryer when the bath fan is on and vice versa for the dryer)". You missed the part about the two dampers - the air never reaches back to the bathroom fan, never.   Do you think it's up to code to have mold spores growing on your bathroom ceiling and walls? Do you know what those spores can do to your immune system and the body over time? I do and watched as a friend of mine almost died due to complications from a compromised immune system that was directly caused by these same mold spores. The HOA is lucky that no one has filed a lawsuit over this, as the bathroom fans are not up to code and this is not legal in L.A. county. Just like it is not legal for the fan above the stove to vent back into the kitchen. The vent-less bathroom fans are dangerous because all they do is recirculate air that could have dangerous levels of mold and other particulate. So, either you retrofit the bathroom fan to an outside vent or do nothing and roll the dice with your health. BTW - I'm very glad that you're retired now ;-)

colds...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2016, 12:16:03 PM6/9/16
to Met Google Groups
Wow here is an example of misinformation on the Internet. I am going to address the issue in Florida because that is where i am licensed as an air conditioning contractor. First of all the bathroom fan never gets connected to a dryer vent. The dryer duct sends lint outside of your house so that it does not catch fire. The bathroom fan is designed to remove moisture from The bathroom. You must have a metal usually flexible aluminum duct go to the outside of the house. If you are not sure read the Florida mechanical code and then hire a licensed air conditioning contractor to do the job. No other person is licensed to do this job. By the way. There is no such thing as a handy man license in Florida

sdfa...@hotmail.com

Jun 9, 2016, 8:36:55 PM6/9/16
to Met Google Groups
Wow, here is an example of firing off a response before reading the entire string and having no understanding of the conversation. Please stick to A/C repair instead of trolling message boards from Florida. Does anyone actually READ anymore before responding and what part of this are you not understanding? Clearly you did not read the specifics on installing the "Y" damper or the fact that our tiny master bathrooms do not vent and are mold/spore incubators. The bathroom fan DOES get connected to the dryer vent when you have a damper for the vent and there is NO other alternative to vent the air outside. Do you understand the concept of a damper? Ugh...

JennyK

Jun 10, 2016, 10:14:28 AM6/10/16
to Met Google Groups
We're not in Florida.

Juls

Jun 11, 2016, 10:06:55 AM6/11/16
to Met Google Groups
Exactly how did this end up in a fight?  It went from helpful information by adults to bratty behavior by children.

Juls

Jun 11, 2016, 10:13:13 AM6/11/16
to Met Google Groups
Oh.... and of course we're not in Florida.... We're in OZ!  Show me the way home Wizard!

xiaoya...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2016, 2:30:59 AM6/15/16
to Met Google Groups
Does anybody know where we can purchase the air filter replacement for the bathroom fan.? Thanks!

highla...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2016, 3:39:03 PM10/8/16
to Met Google Groups

lk.b...@gmail.com