Balcony Clean-Up

Asally111

Mar 17, 2014, 3:48:16 PM3/17/14
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
I have a question; for those of you who live on the 2nd (and/or 3rd) floors, how do you wash your balconies after the rain without having it drain down onto the balcony unit below you?  Ours is a real mess after the rains, and real dusty (dust is most definitely due to the freeway dust particles that travel over).
I also thought I remember reading the HOA rules that we cannot wash our balconies by hosing it down, and then have the dirty hosed water drain down onto the balcony unit below as it may damage patio furniture and other things that the below neighbor might have sitting out onto their patio.  Maybe I'm wrong.
We do not use our balcony as much but I really want to start this year, and put out nice planters, and I can't move on this until I know the best clean up methods for balconies.   I just wish the drain pipe was long enough to avoid having it affect the below neighbor's balcony.
Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks!

stacey furrer

Mar 17, 2014, 4:00:51 PM3/17/14
to Met Google Groups on behalf of Asally111
HI There!

I am so glad you mentioned this. I live on the first floor and this JUST happened to me this weekend. The 3rd floor unit decided to wash their balcony at like 9am on Sunday and I woke up to a deluge of soapyyyyy dirty water falling ALL over my patio furniture and my DOG who happened to be sitting out there when it happened (not that he minds baths, but this was a real shocker! haha) -- it was a real mess.

A bunch of folks in the parking lot tried to alert the people above me, as my yelps weren't enough to stop them :). Apparently one of the people in the parking lot called security because they came knocking about 25 minutes into the mess. They said that they were advised to tell folks to use a mop and bucket, which is a pretty lame solution - I totally agree that pipe should be longer, way too short.

I wish kind people like you lived above me that were awesome enough to check on this stuff before causing surprise soapy Niagara falls on us first floor kids!

SJW

Mar 18, 2014, 10:41:32 AM3/18/14
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
I believe there is an official policy put in place by the HOA and includes informing the neighbors below you, of your intention to wash your patio and coming to some agreement as to day and time.

met girl

Mar 18, 2014, 6:27:31 PM3/18/14
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
This also happened to me about a month or so ago.  Security said policy is mop and bucket.

In my case, the dirty water ruined our umbrella and the cushions on the patio chairs. None of my yelling from first to third floor helped until I called security.
My patio was a mess.  I am not talking a little water or one swift wave of it either.   Not a peep from them above. So I yelled a big thank you for ruining my stuff.

I agree for those first floor balconies that are not flush with the ones above should have longer pipes extending.
I have not heard of any other policy, including making an arrangement and think that could cause troubles in other ways should you not agree, etc...plus in my case, I am not so eager to rearrange my patio for them every time they want to hose down.

Cheryl McCullough

Mar 18, 2014, 6:41:29 PM3/18/14
to Met Google Groups on behalf of met girl
There are a few balconies that have drainage gutters along the side of the balconies so that they match the color of the buildings.

When I asked if I could have that done on the balconies above mine I was told it was not their policy to allow it and I couldn't do it myself or they would make me remove it.

I guess HOA isn't really concerned about their homeowners once you've bought your condo.

Sent from M-iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to TheMetWoodlandH...@googlegroups.com.

Susanne Whims

Mar 18, 2014, 7:30:44 PM3/18/14
to Met Google Groups
Thursday night at the HOA meeting would be a good time to bring this matter up.

Jacqueline Bldg 12

Mar 20, 2014, 12:11:28 AM3/20/14
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
I agree this should be brought up at meeting. Rain n fall on trees made by balcony very dirty

kels...@yahoo.com

Mar 20, 2014, 12:30:15 PM3/20/14
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
I am on the first floor so I am used to my balcony getting wet from the units above.  I'm sure the people below you will understand.  As long as you are not flooding their balcony every week.  Why should you have to live in filth because the drainage system is poorly designed?  Plus I'm sure it will just encourage whomever is on the first floor to clean their balcony as well.
You can always just leave a note under their mat.  Unless they are very unpleasant people I am sure they will be fine with it.
Message has been deleted

racerxmas

Mar 20, 2014, 2:19:49 PM3/20/14
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
can we also address the light policy for balconies - I thought we were only allowed to have the same light on the balcony exterior - not a green light.
 it makes us look cheap & like a college dorm.

Yuka

Mar 20, 2014, 7:15:32 PM3/20/14
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
I recall asking the HOA about adding those ugly rain gutter extenders so that the dirty water doesn't come down on our 1st floor but I was told those were not allowed.
I told them I've seen them throughout the Met but they didn't comment on it.

We clean our balcony often (1st floor) with a hose and water from our water heater.  It would be upsetting if I saw dirty water coming down to our balcony...
I know a few of our neighbors clean the balcony with a mop.
If you wanted to wash it down, I think it would be best to coordinate with the HOA so they can contact the other 2 levels on a specific day so we can all move our furniture, plants, (animals too!) off the balcony.

Hugh DaSilva

Apr 16, 2014, 6:58:51 PM4/16/14
to TheMetWoo...@googlegroups.com
Make a complaint for nuisance or trespassing.

unkwn

Jan 5, 2016, 4:19:12 PM1/5/16
to Met Google Groups
Did HOA come to a solution to this nuisance? I am on 1st floor and the unit above me drained all their dirty patio water onto my patio and ruined my patio furniture and made a MESS of my patio. WHAT THE HELL??

Caesi Bevis

Jan 6, 2016, 4:12:05 PM1/6/16
to Met Google Groups on behalf of Asally111
Suggestion waiting for it to dry up - unless you have a wet/ dry vac and you can clean it that way.

Otherwise, wait for it to dry, and to mention the brilliant suggestion of my neighbor - use a hair dryer and blow all the gunk to one end and then shovel it up.

As for now - next few months  since the rains will keep coming - live with it?

All communications are considered confidential and private. If you receive this email in error, please notify this sender immediately.  Nothing in my communications should be construed to be offering legal, accounting, or insurance advice on your personal or business situation. All comments provided are based on general research only.Thank you.
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

J-tink

Jan 7, 2016, 1:04:21 PM1/7/16
to Met Google Groups
I know first floor the HOA will pay for and do themselves of cleaning and replastering the patios. I'm not sure if that applies to 2nd and 3rd floor units as well. But it doesn't cost anything to have the HOA do this for first floor residence.they will clean replaster/paint it and pressure wash it for you. If they do this for 2nd and 3rd floors that would be awesome also