Who wants to put AMSA on the map?

ELiot

May 24, 2013, 12:11:55 AM5/24/13
to thema...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

here are a list of places under a banner of "The Australian Mens Shed Association" (AMSA)
http://www.mensshed.org/Find-A-Shed/.aspx?search=2020&distance=4000&filter=-1

they are pretty much all makerspaces, mostly wood, some electronic, and some others too.

I have next to no skills in how to add them all to the list. Someone care to lend a hand?

I estimate less than 1 hour's work to get something like 600-700 more listings on the maker map.

paul...@openfair.org

May 24, 2013, 4:37:08 AM5/24/13
to thema...@googlegroups.com
You can submit them for addition, one at a time, via the Google Form here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFFZc2hBY1h3M3hPM1B2bVphZmhsY0E6MA#gid=0

For a bulk update, there might be a case for accessing the underlying Google spreadsheet directly, and doing some kind of export/ manipulate/ import process.

However, I wonder if that's really going to result in the best outcome?

My sense is - at least my personal sensibilities suggests - that an organisation is probably better approached before being adding by a third party. My other caution is to ensure that the map includes - as much as is possible - active spaces, functioning well and welcoming of new members.

With that in mind, I wonder whether a somewhat blind bulk add is going to result in a good outcome?

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Szymkowiak

Eliot Re

May 25, 2013, 5:58:33 AM5/25/13
to thema...@googlegroups.com, paul...@openfair.org
You raise a good point with both; Asking the organisation, and function spaces.

I don't think its worth the time for individual additions, I was looking to ask for a bulk import.

I believe all of the spaces listed are functioning spaces.  Anywhere from one day per week to every day of the week.

I am happy to ask the organisation for permission to add the sheds, and I am happy to ask at the same time if they are functioning.

Each space is open to anyone willing to join (barring some rare cases - i.e. a shed for disadvantaged youth, of which there are very few), In Australia we have pretty serious Anti-discrimination laws to prohibit any group from discriminating about being open.  As for working and being welcoming; AMSA has a charter that makes it pretty darn easy for them to keep active (and not often break down) and underlies being open, friendly and welcoming in its mission statements.

with that in mind:
1. Can someone confirm the ability to access the backend of the spreadsheet and bulk import?
2. Can I get a heads up that I should email AMSA and ask permission for it's sheds to be included into the makermap?

Renee DiResta

May 27, 2013, 3:18:25 AM5/27/13
to thema...@googlegroups.com
If you contact the organization and they say yes, we can do a bulk upload.

Eliot Re

May 27, 2013, 9:27:55 PM5/27/13
to thema...@googlegroups.com
will give you a heads up when and if I get an a-okay from them.