Play while ripping

Spigget

Dec 30, 2008, 2:39:06 AM12/30/08
to thelastripper-dev
So, what's the possibility of getting playability of the tracks that
are being recorded in the ripper?
I think it would be really nice to be able to love/hate tracks while
listening to them.

Jonas Finnemann Jensen

Dec 30, 2008, 5:17:01 AM12/30/08
to thelastr...@googlegroups.com
The problem is cross platform mp3 playback... (Haven't even seen an easy platform dependent way to do it)

I've seen some people suggest that we use OpenAL and lots of other stuff... A discussion of many of these issues can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/thelastripper/issues/detail?id=10

I was recently looking into the subject my self... I found AudioPort to be and interesting solution for playback and mad or mpg123 might be the best solution for decoding...
AudioPort C# bindings: http://code.google.com/p/portaudiosharp
MAD: http://www.underbit.com/products/mad

I also found some guidelines for interfacing native libraries...
http://mono-project.com/Interop_with_Native_Libraries
However, I've got other projects on my mind, so that's how far I got last time I looked around for a solution to audio playback...

Alternately, it's possible that the madplay program could be called from TheLastRipper, with commandline parameters to play stream from standard input... And then TheLastRipper could write incoming data to the standard input of the madplay program... E.g. doing things the unix way...
This might, however, launch a little slow on Windows... And be kind of a big hack... and not enable us to change volume... But it's fairly possible, I've used similar approach to decode a wma stream using ffmpeg, from C#... Nevertheless, it would still be a very ugly hack...

Regards Jonas Finnemann Jensen.

dagomar

Jan 16, 2009, 1:26:55 PM1/16/09
to thelastripper-dev
I would also like this feature, makes total sense. In fact, I would
like to see thelastripper integrated with songbird... Someday...

Nick Spiker

Jan 16, 2009, 11:47:45 PM1/16/09
to thelastr...@googlegroups.com
yeah, someday.
if I was a developer, I would definitely work on the playing while
ripping thing, but I do realize that it is pretty difficult to pull
off with all the dependencies and such

praksant

Jan 17, 2009, 4:34:11 AM1/17/09
to thelastripper-dev
well, i would have to disagree with you, although it would be nice to
play while ripping, but it would cost another resources, and i think
it's much better to listen to the music you want or the one that you
already ripped few days ago, and you don't have to bother with bad
songs being played on the radio, and you can also repeat the one you
like, and many other things. so i like that ripper is just a ripper,
it's lightweight and i can listen to what i want in foobar.

On Jan 17, 5:47 am, Nick Spiker <spig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yeah, someday.
> if I was a developer, I would definitely work on the playing while
> ripping thing, but I do realize that it is pretty difficult to pull
> off with all the dependencies and such

dagomar

Jan 17, 2009, 9:48:37 AM1/17/09
to thelastripper-dev
Well, i suppose it would be optional to listen to it. Besides, now the
buttons 'love', 'hate' and 'skip' dont really make any sense. I wont
make that choice based on the title of the song. But i have to say
that i agree with praksant, it is good that its very lightweight.

Jonas Finnemann Jensen

Jan 18, 2009, 11:14:11 AM1/18/09
to thelastr...@googlegroups.com
Lightweight and portable :)
However, it is no secret that there's a lot of people who would like audio playback, my inbox proves that...
 - So someday... (And I guess I've been saying that since release 1.1 :) )

If anyone else got some experience with audio playback your welcome to help out...
Right now I'm playing around with PortAudioSharp, but I haven't got it working with ALSA yet... Once that works... I'll look into getting some mp3 decoding...

Regards Jonas Finnemann Jensen.

anon

Jan 20, 2009, 2:30:59 PM1/20/09
to thelastripper-dev
What's wrong with the current http://127.0.0.1:8000 broadcast? Just
put that in your media player, and it will stream exactly what is
being ripped, so you can love/hate/skip it in realtime.

Jonas Finnemann Jensen

Jan 20, 2009, 3:28:22 PM1/20/09
to thelastr...@googlegroups.com
You try to tell that to ordinary users... :)
I have been playing a bit with PortAudio, and PortAudioSharp... But I can't get it to play anything while other programs are playing music... This is possibly an Ubuntu/ALSA specific bug... If I could get PortAudio working I think that would be a pretty good candidate for a platform independ audio library... Then will just need an mp3 decoder... which shouldn't be that hard to find...

--
Regards Jonas Finnemann Jensen.

luis molina

Jan 21, 2009, 5:48:12 AM1/21/09
to thelastr...@googlegroups.com
yuore ok , in winamp it works ("open url")

Nick Spiker

Jan 21, 2009, 12:18:38 PM1/21/09
to thelastr...@googlegroups.com
yup, definitely works in winamp.

Nick Spiker

Jan 21, 2009, 4:16:16 PM1/21/09
to thelastr...@googlegroups.com
oh, and in the new beta version (131b4) the stop button is greyed out
while recording.
I have windows vista, dunno if that matters tho.

Marian Boda

Jan 27, 2009, 10:03:36 AM1/27/09
to thelastr...@googlegroups.com
Well i have version 1.3.0 and http://127.0.0.1:8000 doesn't work. i tried it in winamp, foobar, songbird and iTunes :( Should i do something else?
it says "could not connect"..

Karolinger

Jan 29, 2009, 2:11:52 PM1/29/09
to thelastripper-dev
Me, too. And it doesn't seem to work.

On Jan 27, 11:03 am, Marian Boda <praks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well i have version 1.3.0 andhttp://127.0.0.1:8000doesn't work. i tried it

Marian Boda

Mar 17, 2009, 2:14:55 AM3/17/09
to thelastr...@googlegroups.com
well, it works for me now in v1.4 but i have that program disappearing kinda problem i described in another thread.

Sneaky

Apr 23, 2009, 11:44:48 AM4/23/09
to thelastripper-dev
Nice work on that http://127.0.0.1:8000 tip, I never knew that and
now I can finally listen and rip at the same time with Winamp.
Sweet, thanks for posting that, I'll start using the app again now!
It will be nice when it is all incorporated in the ripper instead
though!
Keep up the good work Jonas.

Andrés G. Aragoneses

Aug 18, 2010, 6:08:55 AM8/18/10
to Sneaky, thelastr...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, I found this thread because I was interested in the idea of
playing while ripping.

But actually not exactly that, but just improving the usability of all
this a bit. If you start ripping songs without listening to them, you
end up with lots of songs in weird folders that you have to listen to
and, if you dislike them, delete them manually! What I propose is
something like a buffer of songs, let's say 10, that you can tell
TheLastRipper you liked, and then it will move them to MyMusic. If,
after 10 new songs you didn't replay the song or clicked on a "Like"
button, the song would be simply removed.

Instead of just talking, I'm actually thinking about helping. I'm a
contributor of the Banshee project and I would like to create an
extension that uses TheLastRipper internally, and that is able to
this. So, for me to start, what I want first to figure out is if you
guys have some code on the HTTP server side to reject connections from
the outside (only allowing 127.x.x.x) because I cannot seem to be able
to connect. Of course I could look at the code myself, but this would
be a bit quicker I guess :)

Regards,

Andres

On Apr 23 2009, 4:44 pm, Sneaky <jason.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice work on thathttp://127.0.0.1:8000 tip, I never knew that and

Jonas Finnemann Jensen

Sep 19, 2010, 7:13:55 AM9/19/10
to thelastr...@googlegroups.com, Sneaky
Hi,

Sorry, about the reply time... My TheLastRipper labeled emails have somewhat low priority, as I have lots of other things to hack on...

Anyway. an extension for Banshee sounds like a great way to implement a stream recorder for last.fm...

You're most welcome to reuse code from TheLastRipper, granted you can find anything useful and assuming you can make GPL extensions for Banshee... (I'm not sure I can get in touch with former contributers for relicensing, if needed).
But TheLastRipper is not rocket science, you might want to take a look at existing last.fm extensions for Banshee, there's probably one out there... That might very well, be just as good a starting point...

I think the most useful thing I can offer is documentation for the last.fm protocol:
Note: this is an old, still working, protocol that does require the keys that are otherwise needed these days... If you go with api.last.fm

If you have any questions regarding how to record from last.fm feel free to contact me...

I have a feeling that TheLastRipper project might be slowing dying... Or at the very least not progressing anytime soon...
So, if you would consider making TheLastRipper into a banshee extension, that might be a great way to migrate the current userbase to Banshee + extension...
 - Let me know what you think...