shorts

thejohnlreed

Feb 29, 2012, 9:22:14 PM2/29/12
to The Least Action Consistent Universe and the Mathematics
What does a balance scale measure? What does s spring scale measure?

Most will answer "weight" to both questions which we have defined as
[mg] mathematically. In both cases we use the device to compare
weight. The spring scale does measure weight [mg]. It is calibrated to
do that at location.
And requires recalibration at a change in. location.

The balance scale does not measure weight. The balance scale compares
two pans of matter where [g] in [mg] acts globally on the scale and
contents such that the scale will balance at any location. The
balance scale compares mass.

We use both to compare weight. It is convenient to measure atoms in
terms of weight. It is not fundamental.

thejohnlreed

Feb 29, 2012, 9:23:20 PM2/29/12
to The Least Action Consistent Universe and the Mathematics