for immediate release

1 view

Mary Bruce

Nov 14, 2017, 3:41:52 PM11/14/17
to thegloryofgo...@googlegroups.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

National Day of Prayer Announces 2018 Theme, ‘Pray for America - Unity’

“Government cannot fix us. Politics will not heal us … Only God can heal America and mend our faultlines.”

— Dr. Ronnie Floyd, president of the National Day of Prayer

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — The National Day of Prayer on Thursday, May 3, 2018, will focus on prayer for unity in America, announced Dr. Ronnie Floyd, the organization’s president.

In a leadership summit with regional coordinators and leaders of the prayer movement, Dr. Floyd announced the theme for next year’s National Day of Prayer: “Pray for America - Unity.” The theme is anchored around Ephesians 4:3, which says, “Making every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”

“The mass shootings that have rocked Las Vegas and recently Sutherland Springs, Texas, the terrorist attack that killed eight people in Manhattan, the natural disasters that have swept from the East to the West Coasts, the escalating racial tensions and confrontations in our cities and the political division and polarization that has divided the nation beyond anything any of us has ever seen all tell us that America is yearning for peace and unity,” said Dr. Floyd.

“The spirit of the age appears to be ruling in this hour. America needs God now more than any time in our history,” Dr. Floyd said. “And there’s no higher calling for the church in America than to be the unifying force our fractured society so desperately needs.”

Leading up to the National Day of Prayer, Dr. Floyd, who was appointed as the organization’s president in August, is calling Christians of all stripes to pray for the next Great Awakening in America.

“The National Day of Prayer must become a multi-church, multi-denominational, multi-ministry, multi-generational, multi-ethnic and multi-lingual movement of prayer for America,” said Dr. Floyd. “I believe deeply that as the church goes, so goes America. And as America goes, so goes the rest of the world. If the church does not see revival, the country will never see it either.”

“In our generation there has never been a time more than today when the National Day of Prayer has been needed more,” Dr. Floyd added.

In 2017, an estimated 2 million Americans observed the National Day of Prayer in over 30,000 events, organized by 40,000 volunteers in all 50 states. Additionally, the National Day of Prayer was also observed in some way in over 80 countries.  The National Day of Prayer was created in 1952 by a joint resolution of Congress, and signed into law by President Harry S. Truman. In 1988, President Ronald Reagan signed the amended law designating the first Thursday of May as a day of national prayer. Every year, millions of Americans, in tens of thousands of meetings across all 50 states, come together for unified public prayer for America. Dr. Ronnie Floyd is the president of the National Day of Prayer.

Mary Bruce

National Day of Prayer

Northeast National Area Leader

P.O.Box 417

Thomaston, CT 06787

203-704-7100

“Making every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”  Eph 4:3