The Book of THoTH Newsletter Issue 149

1 view

ReverendChaos

Jun 29, 2009, 3:36:36 AM6/29/09
to The Book Of THoTH
Newsletter for the week of June 22th to June 28th

Hello to everyone! To all of our new subscribers out there, welcome
to the book of THoTH Newsletter and to our Book of THoTH Google
group. Thanks for taking the time to subscribe and thanks for joining
our group. We're glad that you've joined our mailing list and hope
that you enjoy what we have to offer in its pages.

As of now, we have had 102 new members to join us at BoT since our
last newsletter. To those who've joined, we say thanks for taking the
time to be a part of the greatest paranormal site on the web! Due to
this new addition of members, we now stand at 8,024 members strong. A
huge thanks to each and everyone of you for helping to make this site
what it has become! We couldn't do it without you.

This Week at BoT:
The GoldStar has changed hands a couple of times the past two weeks.
Our last winner, Thelmadonna, was out of town and unable to pass along
the Star. Fortunately though, she was able to let Silversurfer know
who to pass the star along for her. Thelmadonna has chosen
Anuatlantia to wear the prestigious golden award last week.
Congratulations, Anuatlantian! It's well deserved for the front page
articles that you've contributed.

After wearing the GoldStar for a week, Anuatlantian then decides to
pass the GoldStar to Numnutz for his contributions to the forums.
Congratulations, Numnutz! Wear it well and keep it shining and
spinning.

In the LabCoat department, TrentCoole seems unable to respond to the
answers to his LabCoat question last week. As a result, WhiteTiger
stepped in and has given a new question. That question was:

"This is a major product of Peru, a natural substance that is mined.
Rather ironically wars have been fought over control of this
resource.

What is it, and for stethoscope bonus points to go with the labcoat,
what are its' two primary economic uses?"

The correct answer was given by Poppy and was, "guano which is used
both for fertilizer and for manufacturing gun powder".
Congratulations, Poppy!

Poppy then posted the question of:
"The government plans to ban sales of incandescent light bulbs may be
changed by a discovery at the University of Rochester. What is this
technology and what are its two greatest benefits?"

Not long after Poppy posted his question, NightLighter was able to
take the LabCoat with his answer of, "greenhouse gases, I think. The
high-powered laser blast on the tungsten filiment altered it to
produce a brighter luminescence at the same wattage on the area that
was "zapped". Congratulations, Nightlighter!

For those wanting a shot at winning the prized BoT LabCoat, see the
"BoT LabCoat Quiz PartVIII" thread for NightLighter's question of:
"In the scientific world, what is the significance of the letter "Q'?"
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopic-19452-210.html

This Week on the Front Page:
On the front page this week, THoTH has submitted two more articles
from "The Blog of THoTH". The first is a great article titled "The
Dragonfly and the Boat". It uses a children's story about dragonflies
to compare to the phenomenon of ghosts. THoTH's second article this
week explains why he, the founder of a paranormal site, doesn't
"believe" in UFOs. To find out why, don't miss "Why I know UFOs are
real, and why I don't believe in them". To read these two articles
from The Blog of THoTH, just follow the following links:
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/article1852.html
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/article1853.html

Zingdad has contributed a very interesting article for the front page
this week. "What is Ascension?" explains just that. He begins by
talking about his book-in-progress, "The Ascension Papers", and ends
with an attempt at explaining the complicated subject. For those
interested in ascension, this is one not to miss. To read more, don't
miss Zingdad's work while it's on the front page.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/article1854.html

This Week in the Forums:
"When ET arrives..." is a thread in the Aliens/Extraterrestrial
section that ponders the possible scenarios of when extraterrestrials
arrive on Earth. To jump in and give your view on the topic, be sure
to visit MickeyMartin's thread.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-20926.html

In the Mysticism & Occult section, new member Perfection has a thread
and a poll concerning physical contact with God. Would you like to
make contact with God? Why or why not? To join in with your two
cents, be sure to see Perfection's thread, "Making physical contact
with God".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-20533.html

What do you think about the transition from dinosaurs to modern
birds? That's a question that Lonecat asks in the Animal Kingdom &
Cryptozoology section. In his thread, he's posted a link for more
information. Take a look and let him know what you think in
"Discovery raises new doubts about dinosaur-bird links".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-20900.html

"Cannibalism" is a thread by member unexplained that explores some of
the beliefs and history behind the practice. To learn more and to
contribute to the discussion, be sure to visit the Human Condition
section to view unexplained's thread.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-20960.html

New member, nonsapian753, has a thread in the UFO section about a
sighting of theirs which occurred while driving home from college. To
read about their experience and to lend your comments, don't miss "UFO
sighting 2007".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-20770.html

Random Site Feature of the Week:
If you like to keep up to date on news from around the world on a
variety of topics, we've got a page for you. Visit our Book of THoTH
News Pages and select a favorite subject to get your daily dose of
news. Whether you like Animals, Politics, Astronomy, or even Puzzles,
we've got pages of current news to suit your needs. So grab a cup of
coffee and sit down to some great reading...
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/daily_news.html

Strange Fact of the Week:
In 1806, near Chimney Rock, North Carolina, several people reported
that they saw beings dressed in "dazzling white robes" hovering around
the mountain. However, this wasn't the first strange sighting in this
area. In 1811, people claimed to have seen "ghostly calvaries"
fighting in an aerial battle.

Trivia Question of the Week:
What sort of creature do the residents of New Delhi, India fear
attacks from?

Answer to Last Weeks Trivia Question:
What leader in the 20th century wanted to create a race of "super
soldiers" which were a mix of ape and human?

Joseph Stalin funded a grant to a scientist in the 1920s to try and
create a "super soldier" from a mix of human and ape DNA.

Stalin reportedly told the scientist, "I want a new invincible human
being, insensitive to pain, resistant, and indifferent about the
quality of food they eat".

This Week in History:
June 28, 1914: Archduke Francis Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary and his
wife were assassinated, setting off World War I.

June 28, 1919: The Treaty of Versailles was signed in France, ending
World War I.

June 29, 1613: London's Globe Theatre burned down during a
performance of Shakespeare's Henry VIII.

June 29, 1995: The shuttle Atlantis and the Russian space station Mir
docked, forming the largest man-made satellite ever to orbit Earth.

June 30, 1859: French acrobat Charles Blondin, AKA Jean Francois
Gravelet, walked across Niagara Falls on a tightrope.

June 30, 1908: A powerful natural explosion from an unknown cause
rocked the Tunguska Basin, in eastern Siberia, flattening hundreds of
square miles of forest and resulting in tremors that could be felt
hundreds of miles away.

July 1, 1863: The Battle of Gettysburg, which marked the turning
point in the U.S. Civil War, began.

July 1, 1867: Canada became a self-governing dominion of Great
Britain under the British North America Act.

July 2, 1937: Amelia Earhart and her co-pilot Fred Noonan disappeared
over the Pacific Ocean while attempting to fly around the world.

July 2, 2002: Steve Fossett became the first to circumnavigate the
globe solo in a balloon.

July 3, 1608: Samuel de Champlain founded the city of Quebec.

July 3, 1863: The Battle of Gettysburg ended, resulting in up to
51,000 deaths from both Union and Confederate armies. The extent of
death and suffering in the area that this battle took place have, as
many believe, contributed to the Gettysburg battlefield being one of
the most haunted pieces of land in the United States.

July 4, 1776: The U.S. declared independence from Great Britain.

July 4, 1862: Lewis Carroll first told the story of Alice's
Adventures Underground to the Liddell sisters.

This Week's Birthdays:
Jean Jacques Rousseau (June 28, 1712) - Jean-Jacques Rousseau was a
major philosopher, writer, and composer of the eighteenth-century
Enlightenment, whose political philosophy influenced the French
Revolution and the development of modern political and educational
thought. He was interred as a national hero in the Pantheon in Paris
sixteen years after his death.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry (June 29, 1900) - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
was a French writer and aviator. Most famous for his novella, "The
Little Prince", he is also well known for his books about adventures
in aviation. A successful commercial pilot, he joined the Armée de
l'Air on the outbreak of war and flew reconnaissance missions until
the armistice with Germany.

Paul Berg (June 30, 1926) - An American biochemist and professor
emeritus at Standord University, Paul Naim Berg shared half of the
Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1980 for contributions to basic research
in nucleic acids. He is most famous for his pioneering work involving
recombinant DNA, which lead to the development of modern genetic
engineering.

Louis Blériot (July 1, 1872) - Blériot was a French aviator, inventor,
and engineer who completed the first flight across a large body of
water in a heavier-than-air craft. He piloted this flight across the
English Channel in 1909 and received a prize of 1,000 British pounds
for doing so. He is also credited as being the first person to make a
working monoplane and was also a pioneer of the sport of air racing.

Hans Bethe (July 2, 1906) - Hans Albrecht Bethe was a German-American
physicist and Nobel laureate in physics for his work on the theory of
stellar nucleosynthesis. A versatile theoretical physicist, he also
made important contributions to quantum electrodynamics, nuclear
physics, solid-state physics, and particle astrophysics. During the
first World War, he was the head of the Theoretical Division at the
secret Los Alamos laboratory working on developing the first atomic
bombs.

John Singleton Copley (July 3, 1738) - Copley was an American artist
of the colonial period. He is famous for his portraits of important
figures in the New England region, namely Paul Revere and Samuel
Adams. His work was innovative in that they usually portrayed their
subjects with artifacts that were reflective of their lives.

Nathaniel Hawthorne (July 4, 1804) - Born Nathaniel Hathorne, he was a
19th century American novelist and short story writer. Hawthorne is
noted as a key figure in the development of American literature due to
his tales of the nation's colonial history. He is most famous for his
novels "The Scarlet Letter" and "The House of the Seven Gables".

We also have some birthdays to celebrate here at BoT. A very happy
belated birthday goes out to Angel and tristan whose birthdays were on
the 22nd and the 25th of June. Coming up this week is dollhouse's
birthday on the 2nd of July. Happy Birthday (belated or not) to
everyone! Here's to a wonderful year to come!

Tech Tip of the Week:
Do you think you have a virus on your computer? Did you click on a
link or open an attachment in an email and are now noticing some
peculiar computer performance? There are a few signs to look for if
you think you may have a virus. Some of these are as follows:

One of the first signs is that your computer may be infected is that
it runs more slowly than normal.

Another sign is that your computer stops responding and freezes up
without any warning or error messages.

Sometimes with a virus, your computer may shut down and restart by
itself every few minutes. This is because some viruses try to
interfere with Windows' security system, resulting in automatically
restarting. This automatic restarting is often the result of an
application failure problem.

With viruses, disks and disk drive sometimes will be inaccessible.

If you see unusual error messages on your computer, like ones wanting
to scan your computer, this is sometimes a sign that your computer may
be under attack by a remote computer.

If you see distorted menus and dialog boxes that are disturbing your
routine computer use, this also could be a sign of a virus.

Though these tips are good signs that your computer is infected,
they're not the rule. Other software or hardware related issues could
be the cause. Due to this, it's always best to run a virus and
spyware scan if you're suspecting that you're infected. If your anti-
virus or anti-spyware program finds something, follow it's
instructions for removal and keep an eye open for any further
problems.

Unsolved Question of the Week:
This weeks unsolved question deals with crop circles. What are they
for and who is making them remains a mystery.

Many of them are most likely man made. Quite a few "circlemakers"
have demonstrated how it's done using simple tools and intricate
planning. Even many of the crop circle researchers admit that as many
as 80 percent of them could be man made.

But this leaves the remaining 20 percent. And those 20 percent leave
us with some astounding questions that have yet to be answered... The
huge glyphs and detailed designs are formed in a time span that would
be impossible using the methods that crop circle makers have confessed
to.

There are changes in the structure of plants within the crop circles
that cannot be made by simply stomping down the plants with boards and
string. These changes include elongated and blown-out nodes,
increased plant size, larger than normal crop yields in years
following the formation of the circles, and changes at the plant's
cellular level.

Many other strange occurrences have been noticed in and around these
crop circles. Adverse effects on research equipment, bizarre
electromagnetic measurements, strange sounds, changes in the soil,
physiological effects on the researchers which include dizziness and
sickness, and even the presence of radiation on some occasions.

This leaves the question then, who are making these? The only way
this question may be answered is if the circle makers themselves
confess and display their methods.

Quote of the Week:
"Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the
artist does the better."
- Andre Gide

That concludes this week's edition of the BoT newsletter. We hope
that you've enjoyed it, found it a nice change in your inbox, and are
looking forward to receiving the next one. As always, we should have
lots more waiting in store for you.

Until next time, keep your eyes to the skies and the door to your mind
unlocked. You never know who might drop by for a visit.