The Book of THoTH Newsletter Issue 152

ReverendChaos

Jul 27, 2009, 4:53:26 PM7/27/09
to The Book Of THoTH
Newsletter for the week of July 20th to July 26th

Hello to everyone! To all of our new subscribers out there, welcome
to the book of THoTH Newsletter and to our Book of THoTH Google
group. Thanks for taking the time to subscribe and thanks for joining
our group. We're glad that you've joined our mailing list and hope
that you enjoy what we have to offer in its pages.

As of now, we have had 36 new members to join us at BoT since our last
newsletter. To those who've joined, we say thanks for taking the time
to be a part of the greatest paranormal site on the web! Due to this
new addition of members, we now stand at 8,115 members strong. A huge
thanks to each and everyone of you for helping to make this site what
it has become! We couldn't do it without you.

This Week at BoT:
We hope that everyone is enjoying the recent changes and upgrades made
to the BoT forums recently. These changes include the ability to
embed Youtube videos, subforums in many of our sections, improved
organization features on the Private Messages page, and much more.

Many of you don't yet noticed these new changes, as the various bugs
and glitches that often come with upgrading the site's software are
still being worked on. Rest assured though that it won't be too long
before all is back to normal and complete functionality will be
restored.

As a result of these changes, BoT is being a bit hard to access at
times. Because of this, we'd like to ask that everyone please have a
little patience and understanding. These upgrades aren't easy and
THoTH is currently doing everything he can to get us all back on
track.

As mentioned in previous updates, we ask that anyone who is having
trouble or have questions regarding these changes, please post your
questions in Silversurfer's thread in Help Desk of our forums. Doing
so will help to keep all of the questions and problems in the same
place, making it easier for our Admins to take care of any problems as
soon as possible.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21226.html

Mensa517, our last GoldStar winner, has passed the most prestigious
golden award onto a very deserving member. Actually, this person is
more than a member. This week's GoldStar was handed to our very own
Bossman, THoTH. THoTH was given this award for being an "outstanding
person and founder of our wonderful home". After all of the hard work
and long hours he's put into recently upgrading BoT's forums, this
award could not go to a more deserving person. Congratulations,
THoTH! Keep that star spinning and shining!

Iamsam's question in the BoT LabCoat Quiz has been correctly
answered. As you'll remember, his question was: "Explain SHU. And
explain the testing procedures in detail."

Cato9tails was quick with an answer explaining that SHU is the
Scoville Heat Unit used to rate the heat of various peppers. A more
detailed answer we've seldom seen. Congratulations, Cat!

Cat in turn posted the next question of: "What is norovirus? How
Contagious is it? Can it be fatal?"

Silversurfer was in with an answer before Cat could even get both arms
in the LabCoat, explaining that norovirus is a highly contagious
"stomach flu" that can be fatal due to the dehydration that it's
symptoms can cause. Congratulations, Silver!

After winning the LabCoat, Silversurfer then posted the question of:
"What craft, and when, produced the first pictures of the moon? For
bonus points, name the originating country as well."

If you want a chance to win the most stylish BoT LabCoat, Silver's
question is still standing. To give it a shot, be sure to see "BoT
LabCoat Quiz Part IX" in the section of our forums.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopic-21115-60.html

This Week in the Forums:
This year's X-Conference was held in Barcelona, Spain and Kira has
given us a summary of it in the UFO section. To see what topics were
covered and to view a video of the highlights, be sure to see "X-
Conference '09 Barcelona, Spain".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21278.html

The 40th anniversary of the moon landing was just a few days ago, but
there was also another anniversary that you might not know about on
July 16th. It's the anniversary of the Mariner/UFO incident. To read
more about this famous encounter, don't miss nigelelan53's thread in
the UFO section, "44th Anniversary of Mariner Space Probe/UFO
Incident".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21196.html

"The Amityville Horror" is a thread by member unexplained that gives
us a little information on the incident. He then asks a few questions
about this legend. Is it all a hoax? Is it all true? Or perhaps are
there elements of both included in this story. To toss in your two
cents and add to the thread, see unexplained's thread in the Ghost &
Spirits section.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21271.html

Newbs has a thread in the Science/Ask the Scientist section that tells
us about an exciting new discovery. It appears that an artificial
brain is only 10 years away. What impact will this make in the world
of science and biology? How will it help those with brain disorders?
To read more on this interesting find and to discuss it, see
"Artificial brain 10 years away ... says TED".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21238.html

Is the human race the only race that puts limits and restrictions on
it's own behaviour? This is a question that HeroGuy asks in the Human
Condition section. If you have an answer, or just want to toss your
two cents into the discussion, be sure to take a look at "Am I the
only person on Earth to notice this about humans?"
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21213.html

Random Site Feature of the Week:
If you haven't ventured into THoTHTube yet, it's well worth the
visit. These are YouTube videos that our members have submitted as
the Best-of-the-Best. Subjects range from Astronomy to Dreams to UFOs.
If you have a favorite video to share, you can submit it for a link as
well.

To watch these videos, go to http://www.book-of-thoth.com/thoth-tube.html

Strange Fact of the Week:
There are some places in Mexico where taking a photograph inside a
church can land you in jail. The reason for this is that many cameras
contain mirrors. Mirrors, according to Mayan tradition, opened
portals into the "Otherworld" and allowed ancestors and gods to pass
between the two planes.

Trivia Question of the Week:
What was it that descended from the trees and caused a frightened
police officer to faint in Guadalupe, Mexico?

Answer to Last Weeks Trivia Question:
What natural phenomenon is said to have happened at the exact moment
that Ludwig von Beethoven died?

Beethoven died on March 26, 1827, during a thunderstorm. Anselm
Hüttenbrenner, a friend of his who was present at the time of his
death, claimed that there was a clap of thunder at the moment of his
death.

This Week in History:
July 26, 1847: Liberia became Africa's first republic.

July 26, 1908: The Office of the Chief Examiner, which in 1935 became
the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), was created.

July 27, 1940: Bugs Bunny made his debut in the cartoon A Wild Hare.

July 27, 1953: An armistice was signed ending the Korean War.

July 28, 1540: King Henry VIII of England's chief minister, Thomas
Cromwell, was executed and Henry married his fifth wife, Catherine
Howard.

July 28, 1794: Robespierre, one of the leading figures of the French
Revolution, was sent to the guillotine.

July 29, 1958: U.S. President Eisenhower signed the congressional act
that created the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
was authorized by Congress.

July 29, 1981: Prince Charles, heir to the British throne, married
Lady Diana Spencer.

July 30, 1945: The USS Indianapolis was torpedoed by a Japanese
submarine and sank within 15 minutes. It was one of the greatest naval
losses of World War II, resulting in the deaths of nearly 900 men.

July 30, 1975: Former Teamsters union president James Hoffa was
reported missing. Many suspect he was murdered, though his remains
have never been found.

July 31, 1954: Mount Godwin-Austen (K2), the world's second-highest
peak, was climbed for the first time, by an Italian team led by Ardito
Desio.

July 31, 1964: The U.S. space probe Ranger 7 transmitted pictures of
the Moon’s surface.

August 1, 1790: The first U.S. census was completed, showing a
population of 3,929,214 people.

August 1, 1936: Adolf Hitler presided over the opening of the Berlin
Olympic Games.

This Week's Birthdays:
Stanley Kubrick (July 26, 1928) - Stanley Kubrick was an influential
and acclaimed American film director and producer. Having directed
such films as "2001: A Space Odyssey", "A Clockwork Orange", "Dr.
Strangeglove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb",
and "Full Metal Jacket"; he is considered to be one of the greatest
producers and directors of the 20th century.

Alexandre Dumas (July 27, 1824) - Born as Dumas Davy de la
Pailleterie, he was a French writer who was best known for his many
adventurous historical novels. Novels such as "The Three Musketeers"
and "The Count of Monte Cristo" led to him being one of the most
widely read French authors in the world.

Marcel Duchamp (July 28, 1887) - Marcel Duchamp was a French artist
whose work is most often associated with the Dadaist and Surrealist
movements. His work influenced the development of post-World War I
Western art and helped to shape the tastes of Western art during this
period. Duchamp challenged conventional thought about artistic
processes and art marketing.

Stanton Friedman (July 29, 1934) - Stanton Friedman is an American
physicist and ufologist. He is known for his numerous books on the
subject of the UFO phenomenon and was the first civilian investigator
of the Roswell UFO incident. Since 1967, he has spoken about UFOs to
hundreds of colleges and universities and more than 100 professional
groups in the USA, Canada, and 16 other countries. Formerly referring
to himself as "The Flying Saucer Physicist" due to his nuclear physics
degree, he is one of the few scientists with legitimate degrees to
publicly speak out about UFO phenomena at length and one of the fewer
still to profess an acknowledgment in their reality and validity.

Henry Ford (July 30, 1863) - Henry Ford was the founder of the Ford
Motor Company and said to be the father of modern assembly lines. His
Model T revolutionized transportation and American industry. Being a
prolific inventor, he was awarded 161 patents during his lifetime.

S. S. Kresge (July 31, 1867) - Sebastian Spering Kresge was an
American merchant and philanthropist. He was the founder of The S. S.
Kresge Company (later known as Kmart) which is now known as the Sears
Holdings Corporation. In 1924, Kresge established the Kresge
Foundation, a non-profit organization whose income he specified "to
promote the well-being of mankind".

William Clark (August 1, 1770) - William Clark was an American
explorer, soldier, Indian agent, and territorial governor. Along with
Meriwether Lewis, Clark led the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1803 to
1805 across the Louisiana Purchase to the Pacific Ocean. Before his
expedition, he served in a militia and the united States Army.
Afterwards, he served in a militia and as governor of the Missouri
Territory. From 1822 until his death in 1838 he held the position of
Superintendent of Indian Affairs.

We have a few BoT birthdays coming up this week, and some belated
birthdays to acknowledge. Last week, Sid and Revric celebrated their
birthdays on the 21st and 24th respectively. Coming up this week,
Sparky has a birthday on the 29th of July and Nikkinakiya has a
birthday on the 31st. Happy Birthday to all of you! May you have an
exciting day of celebration and a most fulfilling year to come.

Tech Tip of the Week:
If you're using Windows Vista, you've probably noticed how annoying
the Windows Explorer clicking sounds can be. Especially when
listening to music at a loud volume and doing work on the computer at
the same time. This week, we'll tell you how to turn this clicking
sound off.

First, you must open up the sounds' configuration panel. To do this,
you can type mmsys.cpl into the Start menu's search box and hit Enter
on your keyboard. You can also get to this configuration panel by
going to Control Panel in classic view, clicking on "Personalization",
and then clicking on "Sounds".

Once you've gotten to the sounds' configuration panel, click on the
Sounds tab. In the scrolling menu under "Program", scroll down the
list to "Start Navigation" and click on it. Below, you'll see a
dropdown menu that should have "Windows Navigation Start.wav"
selected. To turn off the annoying clicking sound, just select
"(None)" on the dropdown menu. Click Apply and then OK.

Unsolved Question of the Week:
This week's Unsolved Question deals with Reality, or how we perceive
it.

What is reality? Reality, in everyday usage, means "the state of
things as they actually exist". The term reality, in its widest sense,
includes everything that is, whether or not it is observable or
comprehensible. Reality in this sense may include both being and
nothingness, whereas existence is often restricted to being. In other
words, "reality", as a philosophical category includes the formal
concept of "nothingness" and articulations and combinations of it with
other concepts.

On a much broader and more subjective level, the private experiences,
curiosity, inquiry, and selectivity involved in the personal
interpretation of an event shapes reality as seen by one and only one
individual and hence is called phenomenological. This form of reality
might be common to others as well, but at times could also be so
unique to oneself as to be never experienced or agreed upon by any one
else. Much of the kind of experience deemed spiritual occurs on this
level of reality. From a phenomenological perspective, reality is that
which is phenomenally real and unreality is nonexistent. Individual
perception can be based upon an individual's personality, focus and
style of attribution, causing him or her to see only what he or she
wants to see or believes to be true.

"Reality," the concept, is contrasted with a wide variety of other
concepts, largely depending upon the intellectual discipline. It can
help us to understand what we mean by "reality" to note that what we
say is not real because we see it through different perspectives,
therefore there is no basis for reality. But usually if there is no
original and related proofs, it isn't reality.

In philosophy, reality is contrasted with nonexistence (penguins do
exist; so they are real) and mere possibility (a mountain made of gold
is merely possible, but is not known to be real—that is, actual rather
than possible—unless one is discovered). Sometimes philosophers speak
as though reality is contrasted with existence itself, though ordinary
language and many other philosophers would treat these as synonyms.
They have in mind the notion that there is a kind of reality — a
mental or intentional reality, perhaps — that imaginary objects, such
as the aforementioned golden mountain, have. Alexius Meinong is
famous, or infamous, for holding that such things have so-called
subsistence, and thus a kind of reality, even while they do not
actually exist. Most philosophers find the very notion of
"subsistence" mysterious and unnecessary, and one of the shibboleths
and starting points of 20th century analytic philosophy has been the
forceful rejection of the notion of subsistence — of "real" but
nonexistent objects.

Some schools of Buddhism hold that reality is something void of
description, the formless which forms all illusions or Maya. Buddhists
hold that we can only discuss objects which are not reality itself and
that nothing can be said of reality which is true in any absolute
sense. Discussions of a permanent self are necessarily about the
reality of self which cannot be pointed to nor described in any way.
Similar is the Taoist saying, that the Tao that can be named is not
the true Tao, or way.

Can reality be influenced, or changed? Many philosophers say that it
can, but many scientists feel that it is more absolute, and
unchangeable. There seems to be no consensus on a true definition of
reality. It may well be that there is no true definition.

Quote of the Week:
"Scientists are explorers. Philosophers are tourists."
- Richard Feynman

That concludes this week's edition of the BoT newsletter. We hope
that you've enjoyed it, found it a nice change in your inbox, and are
looking forward to receiving the next one. As always, we should have
lots more waiting in store for you.

Until next time, keep your eyes to the skies and the door to your mind
unlocked. You never know who might drop by for a visit.