Is Political Conservatism Synonymous With Authoritarianism?

已查看 7 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Mycos

未读,
2018年4月26日 01:07:282018/4/26
收件人 The Authoritarians

Original Article
Is Political Conservatism Synonymous With Authoritarianism?

H Michael Crowson,Stephen J Thoma &Nita Hestevold
                                                                                         Abstract

The authors performed 2 studies that tested the distinction between conservative political ideology and right-wing authoritarianism (RWA). Across these studies, moderate relationships emerged between RWA and our measures of cognitive rigidity, whereas the relationship between rigidity and mainstream conservative ideology was not as strong. The authors used partial-correlation and path analyses to assess the possibility that RWA mediates the relationship between (a) cognitive rigidity and (b) mainstream conservative attitudes and self-identified conservatism. The central argument and finding is that under certain social conditions and historical constellations conservatism eventually evolves into or functions as fascism. Alternatively, fascism universally represents and reproduces conservatism. (bold mine)

Ron Braithwaite

未读,
2018年4月26日 11:04:412018/4/26
收件人 theautho...@googlegroups.com
Good to see a message pop up from you, Mycos.

This abstract (although just an abstract) reaffirms many of my beliefs that conservatives and RWAs are not the same thing. and that is why I hope to see a new conservative political party form that will leave the Republican Party to the RWAs AND attract many of the Democratic Party who are actually conservative. When that happens the Democratic Party can become Democratic again and the American people will once again have a choice between how to solve problems when the responsible players agree that the problem exists.

What we have now is Republican conservatives being held hostage by the RWAs.

-RonB

Ron Braithwaite
2946 NE 65th Avenue
Portland, OR 97213 USA
+1-503-267-3250
r...@braithwaites.net

Blue Pilgrim

未读,
2018年4月26日 11:16:262018/4/26
收件人 theautho...@googlegroups.com

On 4/26/2018 5:07 AM, Mycos wrote:

Original Article
Is Political Conservatism Synonymous With Authoritarianism?

You  might find this interesting:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/49294.htm
Diagnosing the West with Sadistic Personality Disorder (SPD)

The Empire Is Obsessed with Perverse Types Of Punishment

By Andre Vltchek

April 25, 2018 "Information Clearing House" -  Western culture is clearly obsessed with rules, guilt, submissiveness and punishment.

By now it is clear that the West is the least free society on Earth. In North America and Europe, almost everyone is under constant scrutiny: people are spied on, observed, their personal information is being continually extracted, and the surveillance cameras are used indiscriminately.

Life is synchronized and managed. There are hardly any surprises.

One can sleep with whomever he or she wishes (as long as it is done within the ‘allowed protocol’). Homosexuality and bisexuality are allowed. But that is about all; that is how far ‘freedom’ usually stretches.

Rebellion is not only discouraged, it is fought against, brutally. For the tiniest misdemeanors or errors, people end up behind bars. As a result, the U.S. has more prisoners per capita than any other country on Earth, except the Seychelles.

And as a further result, almost all conversations, but especially public discourses, are now being controlled by so-called ‘political correctness’ and its variants.

But back to the culture of fear and punishment.

Look at the headlines of the Western newspapers. For example, The New York Times from April 12. 2018:

“Punishment of Syria may be harsher this time”

We are so used to such perverse language used by the Empire that it hardly strikes us as twisted, bizarre, pathological.

[...]

rosenhw

未读,
2018年4月26日 11:23:172018/4/26
收件人 theautho...@googlegroups.com
Glad to see this group still exists!
I have just one comment:
Absent p (likelhood of Type 1 error) values, the degree of correlation is always
questionable. Do other studies, if any, claim comparable results? Stating the
analytical paths taken is not enough to be convincing.
> > ALTERNATIVELY, FASCISM UNIVERSALLY REPRESENTS AND REPRODUCES
> > CONSERVATISM. (bold mine)
> >
> > https://doi.org/10.3200/SOCP.145.5.571-592
> >
> > --
> > Visit this group at
> > https://groups.google.com/group/theauthoritarians.
>
> --
>
> Ron Braithwaite
> 2946 NE 65th Avenue
> Portland, OR 97213 USA
> +1-503-267-3250
> r...@braithwaites.net
>
> --

Blue Pilgrim

未读,
2018年4月26日 15:13:232018/4/26

On 4/26/2018 15:04 PM, Ron Braithwaite wrote:
> Good to see a message pop up from you, Mycos.
>
> This abstract (although just an abstract) reaffirms many of my beliefs
> that conservatives and RWAs are not the same thing.

Can find the whole article at
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7562926_Is_Political_Conservatism_Synonymous_With_Authoritarianism

PDF at
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/H_Crowson/publication/7562926_Is_Political_Conservatism_Synonymous_With_Authoritarianism/links/54e7b8110cf27a6de10ade5c/Is-Political-Conservatism-Synonymous-With-Authoritarianism.pdf?origin=publication_detail

rosenhw

未读,
2018年4月27日 11:43:562018/4/27
收件人 theautho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Blue
The article seems to be pretty good. Wish I had tme ti fully dissect it.
Harry

回复全部
回复作者
转发