Re: [theauthoritarians] Re: Inverted Totalitarianism [linguistics and drugs]

1 view

rosenhw

Jun 13, 2008, 10:03:00 PM6/13/08
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Now that I think about it, word recognition came before formal speech, dogs come on call,
perform various tasks communicated orally. Even orangutans come on call. Monkeys
do too.

Does that mean that human awareness is different in kind or in degree?

Harry

rosenhw

Jun 14, 2008, 11:22:51 PM6/14/08
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris

You added new words and ideas to the discussion.

More later

Harry

rosenhw

Jun 15, 2008, 2:34:07 AM6/15/08
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
snip.

> He discusses even deeper complications:
> I don't know I would describe the process quite like that, but I do
> agree that language 'conditions' the mind (Serle --
> http://www.childrenofthecode.org/interviews/searle.htm ; Korzybski
> and abstraction http://learn-gs.org/learningctr/abs-mod.htm ).

I visited this site and copied the following from a box on the left
that gets at a problem I have.

"FIDO - "FIDO", or an animal, interacts similarly with WIGO at the Object l
evel. However, FIDO's capacity to make inferences or related
associations is finite, unlike a human's."

The implication that the human brain has an infinite capacity is
patently false. Given that, is it not likely that humans and dogs,
who understand commands--one half of communication--differ in
degree. not in kind. My border collie makes various sounds that
carry meaning, but her voice box and tongue are not up to forming
words. She nevertheless knows how to get her point across. She and
I share awareness. And why does she get nervous when my spouse
wanders off on picnic?

Questions for all of you. What kind of awareness does an animal have
when it commits suicide to avoid pain? What is the root difference
between awareness and consciousness?

Harry

bluepilgrim

Jun 15, 2008, 9:51:16 AM6/15/08
At 06:34 6/15/2008, you wrote:

>snip.
> > He discusses even deeper complications:
> > I don't know I would describe the process quite like that, but I do
> > agree that language 'conditions' the mind (Serle --
> > http://www.childrenofthecode.org/interviews/searle.htm ; Korzybski
> > and abstraction http://learn-gs.org/learningctr/abs-mod.htm ).
>
>I visited this site and copied the following from a box on the left
>that gets at a problem I have.

This is another reference I couldn't remember last night (the
hypothesis -- not the specific site).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_hypothesis

I also looked further into the site with the Searle reference --
found http://www.childrenofthecode.org/Tour/c5/index.htm , a seried
of short videos which is very interesting. One theme running through
is that conscious was reconfigured by the invention of writing. I'd
say in a way which supports authoritarianism by allowing set and
written laws, and the authority of scripture: another theme is that
those who could read gained power, and as reading and books spread so
did democratization.

>"FIDO - "FIDO", or an animal, interacts similarly with WIGO at the Object l
>evel. However, FIDO's capacity to make inferences or related
> associations is finite, unlike a human's."
>
>The implication that the human brain has an infinite capacity is
>patently false.

Yes -- but the wrong word is used: what should be said is not
infinite, but boundless -- that is, without fixed boundaries in any
given direction. Abstraction makes possible the invention of
"synthetic" ideas which are virtually unrelated to anything in the
physical world, such as 'blasphemy', which a dog can't contemplate.

>Given that, is it not likely that humans and dogs,
>who understand commands--one half of communication--differ in
>degree. not in kind. My border collie makes various sounds that
>carry meaning, but her voice box and tongue are not up to forming
>words. She nevertheless knows how to get her point across. She and
>I share awareness. And why does she get nervous when my spouse
>wanders off on picnic?
>
>Questions for all of you. What kind of awareness does an animal have
>when it commits suicide to avoid pain? What is the root difference
>between awareness and consciousness?
>
>Harry

Awareness seems to be used as a more fundamental aspect of mentality
-- but I don't know of any generally accepted definitive difference.
Perhaps memory and time is part of it: consciousness more often is
used to mean out of time sync with perception, and we tend (I think)
to say we are conscious of the past or future than aware of it. What
would 'aware of the future' mean, since it encompasses imagination; I
can be aware of thinking about the future, but not (ordinarily) of
the future itself (assuming it, or the past, even qualifies for being
in existence). Animals seem to be more dimly conscious of past and
future than human -- while humans are quite often more conscious of
past and future than the present; centering on the 'here-now' is a
meditative technique.

I wonder if authoritarians don't spend more time in abstractions and
non-present time frames.

rosenhw

Jan 23, 2018, 1:54:44 PM1/23/18
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone still here?

Blue Pilgrim

Jan 23, 2018, 3:06:59 PM1/23/18
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
I'm here -- don't know where the list went, but this is the first post I've gotten in a long while.
Quick description of my current take on consciousness.

Everything is made of consciousness (sort of like energy and relationships among elements of elemental existence), with the 'physical' being a particular manifestation of it, and what we usually call awareness, self consciousness, qualia, etc., is focused consciousness, in forms of second order cybernetics (the science of controls -- see Beers, and Umpleby, for example, or even third order) with reflexive and recursive feedback loops.

The 'higher level' consciousness of mammals, humans, etc., has more feedback loops: self-awareness which monitors actions of the organism, generally in more formal ways with memory, abstractions, etc., which includes language. Note that in this context authoritarianism implies a higher level of feedback and self awareness, including mindfulness -- more awareness of internal processes and belief systems, in conjunction with external events and systems.  Humans can be 'more conscious' because we have (potentially) more developed feedback mechanisms for monitoring the self (assumed identity separate from 'others' and 'external world' -- and relate this to development of 'theory of mind' that kids grow into, and relate it with with psychopathy and lack of empathy with some people, and experience of 'cosmic consciousness' and unity experience).

rosenhw

Jan 23, 2018, 3:22:13 PM1/23/18
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
What is your take on Trump?
> --
> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/theauthoritarians.

rosenhw

Jan 23, 2018, 3:22:27 PM1/23/18
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
What is your take on Trump?

Jeremy Salmon

Jan 23, 2018, 6:29:15 PM1/23/18
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
Not really? I think everyone has split for various FB groups, Slack & Discord servers

Blue Pilgrim

Jan 23, 2018, 6:55:26 PM1/23/18

On 1/23/2018 20:22 PM, rosenhw wrote:
> What is your take on Trump?

We dodged the demon (Clinton) but got the ogre. The guy is a psychopath,
but no worse than most others in power (politicians, oligarchs, and
corporate state media, and better than some. Politics, and economics, in
the western world (to include Europe) is in collapse, and Trump is a
symptom of it. Russia, China, and the "south" countries have normal
problems and insanity, and will rise in the future.

Trump is like a carnival barker, Wrestlemania showman, and well adapted
for an insane culture. He's fun to listen to, but he's a disaster for
the country -- but at least we are not at war with Russia or incinerated
yet, which I think would have been likely with Clinton and her
neoliberals/neocons. We have a war between the various gangs or factions
in the country, but so far have not destroyed the world, so there is
still some hope. Trump is accelerating the collapse of the Empire and
capitalism, and that is probably a good thing, although it's also a very
dangerous time, as with any large, wild, 'wounded animal', and tends to
lead to extreme polarization, fear, and irrationality among the people.
Trump is a representative of the social chaos -- almost a Jungian
manifestation of the collective consciousness.

Alastair McGowan

Jan 24, 2018, 2:01:59 AM1/24/18
to rosenhw
Drinks deeply from the well of authoritarian magic

Jan 24, 2018, 2:03:43 AM1/24/18
to Blue Pilgrim
Well put, in a way this character distracts us from the broad system that ‎enables him to function

Jan 24, 2018, 10:51:51 AM1/24/18
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
Glad to see someone is still out there. This group REALLY seems to be appropriate at this point in history. It's hard to imagine any group being more authoritarian/social dominator Than tRump and his devotees.

If you have something to share, please do so.

-RonB

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 12:01 AM, Alastair McGowan <phasetrans...@gmail.com> wrote:
Drinks deeply from the well of authoritarian magic

Jan 24, 2018, 1:00:50 PM1/24/18
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
It isn't just Trump et al, but the 'deep state', oligarchs, Pentagon, CIA, NSA, etc., oligarchs, military industrial congressional complex, corporations and corporate media -- what have you. The US supports terrorists in Syria (and did that in Afghanistan too), neo-Nazis in Ukraine, death squads in Latin America, and so on, as proxies.
What it comes down to is the empire, and there is nothing new with empires, or colonialism (or neocolonialists) there. Same 'ol same 'ol. Orcs vs elves and hobbits, nobles vs peasants, owners vs workers, etc., with the usual class war, and basic deceptive propaganda, labeling, polarization, demonization, partisanship, and distractions. Sometimes they are more forthright and sometimes sneakier, but it's the same goal: take over and rule the world.

Most of the commentary I hear is about specific outrages or groups (often part of the distractions created) or the latest 'enemy' (right wing, Russian monster, left wing, 'new Hitler', North Korea), while the general historic patterns and psychic and social dysfunctions are glossed over -- the syndrome is made obscure or mystifying. It's something like worrying about what the hallucinations and delusions of a lunatic are instead of the disease behind the hallucinations and obsessions.

We need to get past only tactical and operational thinking and into broad strategic and visionary planning. Otherwise we win some battles and lose the war, so to speak, against the structures and belief systems that serve the empire.

rosenhw

Jan 24, 2018, 1:11:17 PM1/24/18
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
Glad someone is still out there! Thanks to you Blue!

Amen to that. It is also an indictment of the American way of life. We elected a
narcissist becasue of a 'thoughtful loophole plug' our fouding fathers added to the
Constitiution--the electroal college. It has never worked as intended. Of course
there is also fake news (propagnda in Hitler's time) that too many Americans now
embrce as gospel. Why did that happen? What can ww do about it?

In spite or the US ascendence in this world the tri-partite systems in total, haven't
fared all that well. And we are now exhibit No. 1 for the world for how not to
govern. So does that mean we hve a deeply-rooted political problem?

rosenhw

Jan 24, 2018, 1:22:42 PM1/24/18
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
Exactly and well said. The deep state seems to have a mind of its own!
I love your call to action. Hey, all of you out there! Hustle Up!

Gary Williams

Jan 24, 2018, 2:32:13 PM1/24/18
to theautho...@googlegroups.com
Good to see some of us are still a round.

Anyhow, regarding Trump, I don't know how many times I've heard or seen something from either him or one of his followers that I immediately think "Oh, Man! I sure hope Dr. Bob got to see that as well."

He's not the type to walk around wearing a shit-eating grin on his face over having his life's work validated. But if he did... a grin the size of the Cheshire Cat's would be excusable (not to mention perfectly justified).

GDWilliams (Mycos)

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:01 PM, Alastair McGowan <phasetrans...@gmail.com> wrote:
Drinks deeply from the well of authoritarian magic

Jan 24, 2018, 2:43:23 PM1/24/18

On 1/24/2018 18:22 PM, rosenhw wrote:
> Exactly and well said. The deep state seems to have a mind of its own!
> I love your call to action. Hey, all of you out there! Hustle Up!

I currently lack the time and energy to do this right, but I did a web
search on 'how empires work' and found (only) a few hits with brief
information.

https://dailyreckoning.com/how-empires-really-work/ (article by Paul
Craig Roberts)

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/history-the-arts/how-do-empires-work/content-section-1
pdf version:
http://www.open.edu/openlearn/history-the-arts/how-do-empires-work/altformat-printable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire

I think Michael Parenti has more material.

Most of this is from a 'political' or 'economic' point of view, but I'd
like to see something from a systems thinking (cybernetics) view,
including political and social science, economics, and individual and
mass psychology aspects. We see clumping, lumping or puddling action
with positive feedback in various physical things -- and there is a
probability system and attraction property behind this. Shake a bunch of
little magnets and you get large clumps of them, for instance. In
capitalism, where one makes money by having money rather than producing
goods, there is clumping. When a group become stronger by winning a war,
it's easier for them to win another war and grow even stronger. Those
authoritarian people who seek to accumulate power tend to become more
powerful, and attract others to them. This too is autopoesis -- self
organizing of power structures. But it's also self-limiting -- I Ching,
Book of Changes, Hegel's 'thesis; antithesis; synthesis', various cycle
and rhythm theories -- and there is rise, stasis, and collapse (Brahma,
Krishna, Shiva); birth, life, death; evolution, stagnation, extinction.

We see reality (consciousness) with both relationships forming among
various elements, and also force or principles of organization
(reflected in physics, math, philosophy, etc.) Capitalism, based on
accumulation of wealth and unlimited resources ends as empire and
fascism, but the same principles run in all economic and political
systems. Socialism and communism also has positive feedback for
authoritarian people and forces, power grabs, tendency towards
totalitarianism, and collapse as the original ideals deteriorate and the
system fails under it's own weight and internal inconsistencies, and the
failure of functional feedback and productive control mechanisms (higher
order cybernetics). Same with slavery, feudalism, etc.

We need to sort all this out and create an integrated 'manual' for our
existence which we can use for learning, planning, and surviving as a
not-so-bright species.