Sound blankets

Gerry Gironda

Feb 14, 2024, 12:01:02 PMFeb 14
to theatre-sound
No budget to isolate orch. Tempted to try 8 foot vertical barriers with sound dampening blankets. Anyone ever had any luck? Lots of moving blankets on Amazon, going for something more effective..I realize there won't be isolation I'd be happy with hf dampening. Please don't explain wavelength I'm quite aware. Thanks for any suggestions

Gerry G.

Joel Lord

Feb 14, 2024, 12:04:45 PMFeb 14
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com
I've done things like this before. It doesn't even necessarily need to
be 8' tall although that certainly can't hurt. But a wall, filled with
fiberglass insulation (or even better: get the denim stuff because it's
not fiberglass, but it is 2x the cost) and cover the wall with fabric
instead of anything hard. You could use moving blankets, but I'd guess
insulation will be cheaper.

In one case we put the pit under a lofted second story of a set and I
filled the entire ceiling with denim insulation. Not only did the
footfalls from the loft largely vanish, but underneath was actually more
dead than I really wanted it to be. It was wonderful.

-Joel

--
Joel Lord

page daniel

Feb 14, 2024, 1:24:20 PMFeb 14
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com

My research and experimentation revealed that to deaden use absorption.
the thicker it is the less reflection and transmission one gets.
Fiberglass insulation will absorb some, it is cheap, but needs support
and support can lead to transmission. For transmission use high density
materials, isolated from structure that will transmit. I have used 3/4
inch medium density particle board with good results. Surface toward
sound can be controlled with some type of deadening. But watch out, if
one over deadens the musicians, they just play louder. Always be
careful to fill air gaps, it is amazing how much sound can travel
through a narrow gap, or a small hole. If you want some leakage just
leave cracks.

page

Seablade -

Feb 15, 2024, 12:34:21 PMFeb 15
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com
Mineral Wool/Mineral Fiber insulation such as Rockwool Safe N'Sound isn't to expensive, is not fiberglass, and does a pretty decent job absorbing along with being fire retardant to an extent (Always worth keeping in mind).  As page noted, changes in density in mediums are what is needed to prevent transmission, so going from a low density medium (Air) to a high density medium (MDF) does an effective job, multiple layers with air between does better but probably out of budget.

All this being said, something is likely better than nothing (Usually), just keep in mind the blankets will primarily help with HF and some midrange, but won't do much with LF (As it sounds like you are aware).

      Thomas Vecchione