archive

Ross Brown

Feb 28, 2024, 9:27:09 AMFeb 28
to theatre-sound
Does anyone know if there is an archive of this group from its old Listserv days? I'm searching for a thread from between 1995 and 1997.

thanks

Ross BROWN
Emeritus Professor of Sound
The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
University of London

Paul Kraus

Feb 28, 2024, 11:16:53 AMFeb 28
to 'Thomas Fichtner' via theatre-sound
My personal archive only goes back to 1999, sorry.

John Taylor

Feb 28, 2024, 11:44:27 AMFeb 28
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com
I don't know for sure but I would check the old Wayback Machine at
It is amazing what is on there.

JT

--
Please edit unnecessary quoted text out of your reply.
Take non-theatre-sound topics to private email.

---

Charlie Richmond

Feb 28, 2024, 1:16:03 PMFeb 28
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com
It was hosted by Yahoo Groups then and they may still have archives.

Charlie

--
Please edit unnecessary quoted text out of your reply.
Take non-theatre-sound topics to private email.

---

* X: @charlierichmond   fb: charlie.richmond
* Over 2.9 million licensed SoundMan-Server audio channels!

rbing...@juno.com

Feb 29, 2024, 10:20:41 AMFeb 29
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com

I think it may have even been on AOL still in that time range?  Just guessing from memory.

Richard B Ingraham

Charlie Richmond

Feb 29, 2024, 11:13:42 AMFeb 29
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com
Not AOL but a private, costly listserv that used third party software (developed by a person who sold it for about $40 million during the dotcom bubble) based on the east coast, which I ran and paid for initially, before moving it to YahooGroups.  I'm sure that service has shut down and the archives do not exist, sorry.

Charlie

Jim Bay

Mar 2, 2024, 6:21:04 PMMar 2
to theatre-sound
It would have been on listserv.aol.com then (1996-2008). It was on majo...@io.com before that. Moved to google in June 2008. I may have archives somewhere, if I can find them I'll figure out a way to put them back online.

Jim Bay

Mar 2, 2024, 6:43:22 PMMar 2
to theatre-sound
hahah well the good news is I apparently have archives going back to 1996 (!) the bad news it consists of over 68k files & almost 600mb, so I doubt I'll be putting it ALL back online anytime. If you can narrow down what you're looking for, I can put selected date ranges on dropbox temporarily, I suppose

Charlie Richmond

Mar 2, 2024, 6:52:51 PMMar 2
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com
Aha, yes - I was thinking of the show-control list.....

--
Please edit unnecessary quoted text out of your reply.
Take non-theatre-sound topics to private email.

---

Loren Wilton

Mar 2, 2024, 8:14:11 PMMar 2
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com
If you have a Google Drive, you might be able to upload it there and make it a public read-only share.

Ross Brown

Mar 4, 2024, 8:49:39 AMMar 4
to theatre-sound
Hi Jim,

This may be a tall order so please don't spend too much time on it, but there was a discussion at some point about the new courses and  degree programmes in sound design that were springing up, and I remember a thread about nomenclature. and whether should there be two forms of named sound design: sound systems deign, and musical or compositional design (this was back in the days when sound designers were first starting to use samplers and the like to generate drones and other musical sounds alongside recordings).

It for the Foreword to a new book on theatre music, but its not a biggie if you can't find it in ten minutes or so!

Best

Ross

Ross Brown

Mar 4, 2024, 8:49:39 AMMar 4
to theatre-sound
Hi Jim,

Sorry, my earlier answer seems to have gone astray. Yes, it was a discussion in the early days of theatre sound design courses and programmes about whether there should be two named variants of sound design: technical or systems design, and musical or composition design. Something like that. This was in the early days when sound designers were staring to use samplers and midi keyboards to generate musical sounds themselves as part of their designs. It's for the Foreword of a new book on theatre music, but don't spend more than about ten mins looking. It's not a biggie.

Many thanks.

Ross