Re: [theatre-sound-list] Digest for theatre-sound-list@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Tim McCulloch

Feb 10, 2024, 11:14:55 AMFeb 10
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com
So what's the diff between someone else's off the shelf wireless cue lights and ETC 2.4gHz system?  Neither use wires so I find your blanket statement confusing.

On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 11:05 AM <theatre-s...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Joe Wilson <fader...@gmail.com>: Feb 05 07:28PM -0500

I'd be hard pressed to trust a wireless cue light system, personally. Too
much potential for failure, especially if you don't have feedback in your
signaling system.

Back when I had an analog snake, I had some XLR shells that included a pair
of 12V LEDs and would run them through XLR cable and my snake to a switch
box at the SM desk.

These days we use ETC's CueSystem, which is over an IP network.

I imagine you could use a pair of wireless APs to create a wireless link
and use an IP based cue light system pretty successfully.

That said, I strongly prefer wired signaling for cue lights.

~joe

rbing...@juno.com

Feb 12, 2024, 2:57:07 AMFeb 12
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com

I could be wrong, but I don’t think ETC suggests anyone use 2.4GHz wireless (Wi-Fi) to operate their ethernet based Cue Light systems.  I’ve only ever seen them use wired connection in demonstrations and I don’t know anyone that has them that doesn’t plug them in with ethernet cables.  The nodes all need POE if my memory serves correctly anyway, which means you need to hook it up to a switch that provides that or a POE injector.  I guess there probably isn’t anything stopping someone from putting a 2.4GHz link in there somewhere but I don’t believe ETC recommends that.

Richard B Ingraham