Uranium News: June 26, 2009

Steev Morgan

Jun 27, 2009, 10:55:30 AM6/27/09
to the...@googlegroups.com
URANIUM NEWS

JUNE 26, 2009

EVENT REMINDER:
CCAMU FUND RAISING DANCE: JUNE 28TH
ARDOCH PRAY FOR THE LAND: JUNE 28TH
DETAILS BELOW

IN THIS ISSUE:

1)      CCAMU EVENT REMINDER: FUND RAISING DANCE: JUNE 28TH
2)      ARDOCH PRAY FOR THE LAND EVENT: JUNE 28TH
3)      CCAMU MEDIA RELEASE: SHABOT OBAADJIWAN WITHDRAWS FROM MOU
4)      COMMUNITY URANIUM MEETING: JULY 26TH
5)      BENFORD MINING ALERT AGM: JULY 25TH
6)      PETITION TO FEDERAL COMMISSIONER OF THE ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
7)      CANADIAN NUCLEAR SAFETY COMMISSION NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
8)      ARTICLE: PERMIT DELAY WORRIES URANIUM HOPEFULS
9)      ARTICLE: A FAR NORTH SMOKESCREEN FOR MINING COMPANIES
10)     LETTER: GREED DRIVING URANIUM BUSINESS

---------------------------------

1) CCAMU EVENT REMINDER: FUND RAISING DANCE: JUNE 28TH

BEATLEJUICE ROCKS AGAINST RADIOACTIVE ROCK!

Looking to teleport back to the 1960's and have some fun this summer? Well, look no further. We have the event for you. Beatlejuice, the fabulous Beatle's cover band, is returning to Maberly Hall and promises to get you up and dancing!  Beatlejuice sounds so much like the real thing, people have thought that they were listening to a lip-sync act.

So come on out and rock the hall against radioactive rock…

Date: Sunday, June 28, 2009 (The 2nd anniversary of the Frontenac/Lanark Uranium Mining Blockade at Robertsville)
Time: Potluck dinner starts at 5pm followed by Beatlejuice at 7pm
Place: Maberly Hall, Maberly
(Just North of #7 Hwy, 20 minutes west of Perth, 10 minutes east of Sharbot Lake)
Cost: $10 (minimum) donation at the door

This is a Community Coalition Against Mining Uranium (CCAMU) fund raiser. The same group that brought you the Uranium  Citizens’ Inquiry is now raising funds to bring world renowned Dr. Helen Caldicott, MD  from Australia to Eastern Ontario.

The single most articulate and passionate advocate of citizen action to remedy the nuclear and environmental crises, Dr Caldicott, has devoted the last 35 years to an international campaign to educate the public about the medical hazards of the nuclear age and the necessary changes in human behavior to stop environmental destruction.
For more information about Dr. Caldicott go to http://www.helencaldicott.com/index.htm
For information on CCAMU: www.ccamu.ca
For information on the Uranium Citizens’ Inquiry: www.uraniumcitizensinquiry.com

----------------------

2) ARDOCH PRAY FOR THE LAND EVENT: JUNE 28TH

The frontline in the struggle to protect the earth is here, right now.  You can touch it.  You can hear it.  You can feel it.  Around the world ordinary people are expressing their deep desire to live right by our planet.  Some folks are willing to risk everything in order to stand up for creation and their place in it.  On June 28th we want you to turn your thoughts, meditations and prayers toward the land.  Please join the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation at the Robertsville mine site to Pray for the Land.

Please bring a positive attitude, water (but not bottled), food to share with others, appropriate clothing, (a raincoat and umbrella), your music, something to sit on, courage and conviction. There could be ten participants or a hundred (or more).  Pray for the Land will take place on the road allowance at Robertsville.  Although the site may not have amenities keep in mind that many of the great gatherings have taken place alongside a road between somewhere and elsewhere.  Come prepared to adjust, sustain, and be generous.

The day will begin with a sunrise ceremony.  It is expected that people will come for all day or for a few minutes.  There will be opportunities for people of all faith groups to gather and share with others.  The gathering at Robertsville will finish around 5pm.

Please, no drugs, alcohol or money collections.

For information:
Robert Lovelace
705-748-9685
love...@queensu.ca

Mireille LaPointe
613-273-3530
lapo...@rideau.net

Directions:  From Toronto – 401 to Kingston, North on 38 highway, turn left on Highway 7, turn right on 509 toward Ompah.   Robertsville is 10 minutes north of highway 7.

        From Ottawa – Highway 7, past Carleton Place, past Perth, just past the turn to Sharbot Lake, turn right on 509 toward Ompah.   Robertsville is 10 minutes north of highway 7.

Community Coalition Against Mining Uranium - CCAMU will be hosting a Pot Luck Dinner at 5pm and Beetlejuice, a great cover band, at 7pm at the Maberly Hall.  The cost of the Dinner and Entertainment is $10.  Proceeds will go to bring Dr. Helen Caldicott from Australia to Eastern Canada.

For information: www.ccamu.ca

-------------------------

3) CCAMU MEDIA RELEASE: SHABOT OBAADJIWAN WITHDRAWS FROM MOU

June 15, 2009

A letter to Doug Carr, Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs, indicates a withdrawal of the Shabot Obaadjiwan First Nation from the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between government, Frontenac Ventures Corporation and First Nations, signed in Nov. 2008. As stated in the letter, “…incidents and the fact that, at minimum, the spirit and intent of the MOU has been compromised, Shabot are withdrawing from the MOU until further notice. I am also instructed to advise you that under no circumstances will Shabot permit drilling on the impugned lands at this time. I wish to advise that Shabot is currently considering its options, which may include placing these matters before Justice Cunningham and/or returning to the land, without notice, to protect it from any further drilling.”

The Community Coalition Against Mining Uranium (CCAMU) applauds the withdrawal of the Shabot Obaadjiwan First Nation from the MOU.

“Our position has not changed. We oppose exploration for uranium in eastern Ontario,” says Lynn Daniluk of CCAMU.

“While we believe that the Shabot negotiated in good faith, we are not surprised that the conditions of the MOU have not been met. This situation is an example of "consultation and accommodation" which, in reality, seems to mean that exploration will go ahead no matter what the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines (MNDM) and the mining industry have agreed to.”

CCAMU notes that any changes to the Mining Act that does not require free, prior and informed consent of First Nations, including the right to say NO to exploration, will result in similar disappointment, breaches of trust and conflict.

It is CCAMU's position that because of the impacts of uranium:

1) a comprehensive environmental assessment should be undertaken before exploration begins, and
2) the decisions of local communities should be considered before any exploration for uranium is undertaken.

----------------------------

4) COMMUNITY URANIUM MEETING: JULY 26TH

July 26, 2009, with guest speaker Susanne Lauten

Please mark your calendar for a special uranium information day

Date: Sunday, July 26, 2009
Time: 2-5pm
Place: Maberly Hall, Maberly Ontario

Come and learn about The Community Coalition Against Mining Uranium (CCAMU) Summer Watershed Awareness Project on July 26th at the Maberly Hall from 2 to 5 p.m., and hear guest speaker, Susanne Lauten, founder of Cottagers against Uranium Mining and Exploration (CUME).

In an effort to involve them in the protection of their local environment, The Watershed Awareness Project will reach out to people living in the Mississippi watershed, as they will be most affected by the ongoing exploration and proposed mine at Robertsville, north of Sharbot Lake. "Our team will provide material that describes the area and how it will be impacted. Our intention is to inform the wider population about the issues so that they will be able to respond to each issue as the mining process evolves," says Ormond Lee of CCAMU.

CCAMU and CUME's share a common goal of securing a moratorium similar to those in NS and NB.   " CUME's goal is to win a moratorium like that of Nova Scotia, but to
eventually achieve a legislated ban on uranium and thorium mining like the
one granted in British Columbia in 2008," says Susanne Lauten. Ms. Lauten has been featured in numerous articles, including in Cottage Life magazine and on TV and is on a speaking tour to inform cottagers, in particular, about the issue.  At the Maberly meeting, she will present issues related to ongoing exploration for uranium in neighbouring Haliburton and the efforts to stop those activities.

Of note as well, CUME is sponsoring an Ontario-wide, anti-uranium protest rally that will be held at Queens Park, on Sunday, Sept. 27, 2009, 2:00-4:00pm.  Excellent speakers will be on hand to share their expertise between musical interludes.  All are welcome and encouraged to attend.

Our grandchildren and those not yet born would ask no less than our commitment to raise awareness and establish a moratorium.

---------------------------------

5) BENFORD MINING ALERT AGM: JULY 25TH

Bedford Mining Alert Invites you to our 10th Annual General Meeting on

10:00 am Saturday July 25, 2009

at

The Bedford Community Hall

(1381 Westport Road approximately 8 km east of Godfrey)

Featuring:

Michael Brown MPP

Parliamentary Assistant to Minister Gravelle

The Ministry of Northern Development and Mines

There will be an opportunity for questions relating to the Mining Amendment Act.

The Mining Act has undergone a review and proposed changes were introduced in the legislature on April 30, 2009 . The Bill has gone through second reading in the House and has been assigned to Committee which will hold hearings during the summer.

It promises to be an interesting and informative meeting. It is important to have a good representation from the community and elected officials in order to show the extent of our concerns.

-----------------------

6) PETITION TO FEDERAL COMMISSIONER OF THE ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT

Hello Scott Reid,

We thought you should be aware of the attached petition sent on 11th June to the Federal Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development. This petition and its two attachments document environmental damage in the Mississippi River watershed from uranium exploration activities during 2006-2008 in the Crotch Lake area. It also documents a major ongoing uranium exploration program in your riding that has been fully approved by the Province, in spite of calls for a moratorium from local residents, 23 municipal councils, and thousands of eastern Ontario voters.

FYI, the local Shabot Algonquins recently pulled out of the MOU signed with the Province in November 2008 due to a number of substantive facts that were not disclosed to them by the Province or the mineral exploration company when the MOU was negotiated. These facts include significant diamond drilling and diamond saw cutting from rock in the shallow waters of a trout lake near Crotch Lake, which we had to take action to expose due to the Province's lack of monitoring.

More importantly from a political standpoint, for mineral exploration activities in Ontario, our research has documented systemic failure by the McGuinty Liberals to meet the Province's commitments under the Fisheries Act and associated federal-provincial environmental compliance protocols to monitor and respond to environmental occurrences that could threaten fish habitat and associated water quality. Ontario's Liberal government seems to be desperate to encourage mineral development in the Province at any cost, and we believe that this ill-advised policy could have increasingly serious economic, social and environmental impacts in your riding. Janet Gutowski, Warden of Frontenac County, calls uranium exploration and potential mining a "wet blanket" on sustainable development in the County. I do not think you want to be known as the federal MP who allowed this to happen.

Our petition to the Commissioner, also sent to the Ontario Commissioner of the Environment, asks the federal Minister of Fisheries & Oceans and Minister of the Environment to investigate and to take action to bring Ontario back into compliance. We ask you to get personally involved to ensure that our questions are answered and our calls for investigation and action are acted on.

We are shocked that, via a Declaration Order, the Province can unilaterally alter its commitments under a long-standing federal-provincial agreement. It is clear that the McGuinty Liberals cannot be trusted to properly monitor and regulate the activities of mineral exploration companies in the Province. Please advise what political action you intend to take in this matter.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. Please call to set up a meeting to discuss this matter.

Best regards,

John & Sheila Kittle
North Frontenac

----------------------

7) CANADIAN NUCLEAR SAFETY COMMISSION NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING

http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/commission/pdf/2009-08-26-Notice-2009-H-04-AECL-PortHope-CMD09-H09-e-Edocs3392036.pdf

June 16, 2009                                     Ref. 2009-H-04

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) will hold a one-day public hearing to consider

Atomic Energy of Canada Limited’s (AECL) application for a Waste Nuclear Substance Licence

to operate a long-term low-level waste management facility in Port Hope, Ontario.

The report of the screening Environmental Assessment for this project, which forms part of the

Port Hope Area Initiative (PHAI), was approved by the Commission at a public hearing held in

Ottawa on January 24, 2007.

Hearing: August 26, 2009

Place: Town Park Recreation Centre, 62 McCaul Street, Port Hope, Ontario

Time: as set by the agenda to be published prior to the hearing date

AECL is requesting a licence for the possession, management and storage of nuclear substances

associated with the Welcome Waste Management Facility and for the development and operation

of a new Port Hope Long-Term Waste Management Facility.

The public is invited to comment on AECL’s application. Requests to intervene must be

filed with the Secretary of the Commission by July 27, 2009 directly on-line

(http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/commission/intervention/index.cfm) at or at the

address below. The request must include the following information, as per the Canadian

Nuclear Safety Commission Rules of Procedure:

• a written submission of the comments to be presented to the Commission;

• a statement setting out whether the requester wishes to intervene by way of written

submission only or by way of written submission and oral presentation; and

• name, address and telephone of the requester.

It should be noted that all submissions are available to the public upon request to the Secretariat.

AECL’s submission and CNSC staff’s recommendations to be considered at the hearing will be

available after June 26, 2009. These documents are not available on-line and must be requested

through the Secretariat at the address below. Agendas, hearing transcripts and information on the

hearing process are available at the CNSC Web site.

c/o Louise Levert

Secretariat Tel.: 613-996-9063 or 1-800-668-5284

Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Fax: 613-995-5086

280 Slater St., P.O. Box 1046 E-mail: interv...@cnsc-ccsn.gc.ca

Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5S9 CNSC Web site: www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca

-------------------------

8) ARTICLE: PERMIT DELAY WORRIES URANIUM HOPEFULS

By Dustin Bleizeffer
Star-Tribune energy reporter

Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:26 AM MDT

"Several proposed uranium mining projects in Wyoming and across the West will be delayed due the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission's recent decision requiring a more thorough site-specific analysis for each project.

The NRC will require a supplemental environmental impact statement for each mining project rather than a more simplified environmental assessment, which the agency had considered.

Some officials in the uranium industry claim the NRC overreacted to a groundswell of public concern that they say comes from either ignorance of the in-situ leach mining process or a desire to block uranium mining."

To read the rest of this article go to,

http://www.casperstartribune.com/articles/2009/06/21/news/wyoming/50d1a9a79c1f0a19872575db005f0300.txt

------------------------------

9) ARTICLE: A FAR NORTH SMOKESCREEN FOR MINING COMPANIES

By: Peter Gorrie
The Star

Jun 20, 2009

"When does "No" mean "No?"

In Ontario's Far North, the answer still isn't clear despite recent changes to two major laws governing that vast wilderness of boreal forest and tundra.

The region has been off-limits to most development, with the exception of the De Beers Canada Victor diamond mine near the James Bay coast and a claim-staking rush for additional diamonds and other minerals.

That activity, and the prospect of far more, has angered environmental groups and caused conflict between mining companies and some of the 37 aboriginal communities that collectively claim most of the 425,000 square kilometres as traditional territories."

To read the rest of this article go to,

http://www.thestar.com/article/653217

10) LETTER: GREED DRIVING URANIUM BUSINESS

The Southwest Booster

By: William Gibbs

"On the issue in the Uranium Development Partnership Report of making more competitive Royalty arrangements for the Uranium Industry, I would like to refer to the Cameco Manageme Proxy Circular April 10,2007 that you can find on the Internet titled Driven to Succeed. It lists the salaries and bonuses of five of their top 20 officials for 2007.

Gerald Grandey’s salary was $950,000 with bonuses amounting to $2,781,058. O. Kim Goheen’s salary was $440,000 with bonuses amounting to $1,226,029. George Assie had a salary of $530,000 with bonuses of $1,505,477. Timothy S. Gitzel’s salary was $440,000 with bonuses of $900,000. Gary S. Chad’s salary was $415,000 and bonuses of $1,063,819."

To read the rest of this letter go to,

http://www.swbooster.com/index.cfm?sid=259409&sc=45