Uranium News May 29, 2009: No Uranium Anti-Nuclear Art Show

1 view

Steev Morgan

May 30, 2009, 10:58:21 AM5/30/09
to the...@googlegroups.com
URANIUM NEWS

MAY 29, 2009

IN THIS ISSUE:

1) NO URANIUM ANTI-NUCLEAR ART SHOW
2) ANNOUNCEMENT: HUMAN HEALTH IMPLICATIONS OF URANIUM MINING AND NUCLEAR POWER GENERATION
3) MUSHKEGOWAUK, KI AND ARDOCH FIRST NATIONS RESPOND TO PROPOSED CHANGES TO ONTARIO'S MINING ACT
4) LIVING WITH URANIUM: PROTECTING YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY
5) ARTICLE: NUNATSIAVUT GOVERNMENT HAS NO INTENTION OF LIFTING URANIUM MINING MORATORIUM
6) ARTICLE: LEAKING REACTOR MAY BE 'GONE FOR GOOD'
7) MEDIA RELEASE: NO NUKES GROUP TARGET OF SABOTAGE
8) ARTICLE: CAMECO TO REOPEN PORT HOPE URANIUM HEXAFLURIDE CONVERSION FACILITY
9) MEDIA RELEASE: MPP BARTOLUCCI URGES CITY COUNCIL TO SAY “NO” TO NUCLEAR WASTE IN SUDBURY
10) ARTICLE: BARTOLUCCI SAYS NO TO NUCLEAR WASTE DUMP
11) ARTICLE: TOXIC LINK: THE WHO AND THE IAEA

------------------------

1) NO URANIUM ANTI-NUCLEAR ART SHOW

Please join us for the No Uranium Anti-Nuclear Art Show on Sunday, May 31, 2009, 3 – 5 pm at the Maberly Hall, just north of Highway 7 between Perth and Sharbot Lake.

Artists will be showing their work about their resistance to uranium exploration and mining.   Sculpture, murals, photos and paintings will be on display to encourage contemplation and conversation and conversion to ecologically sensible energy options.  There will be several short films by local filmmakers and performances by spoken word poets. Dumb Glo, the infamous nuclear white elephant, will make an appearance.

Light refreshments will be served.

The show will also be displayed July 10th – 12th at The Art of Being Green Festival at the Middleville Fair Grounds.

--------------------------

2) ANNOUNCEMENT: HUMAN HEALTH IMPLICATIONS OF URANIUM MINING AND NUCLEAR POWER GENERATION

Dr. Linda Harvey and Dr. Cathy Vakil have put together an impressive paper on the effects of uranium mining and nuclear power generation on human health.

This very readable document is meant to walk the reader through the basic science of the effects of radiation on the human body, sources and types of contamination from the industry, and some of the studies that have been done on these topics. The authors hope that the "Human Health Implications of Uranium Mining and Nuclear Power Generation" document contains material that will be helpful to those who are writing letters, speaking and/or negotiating about these important topics.

 This text has been endorsed by the Board of Physicians for Global Survival, and has gone for external review to a radiation safety expert in Germany, who made some very favourable comments.

To view this document click on the "URANIUM SCIENCE" tab, then the "HUMAN HEALTH IMPLICATIONS OF URANIUM MINING AND NUCLEAR POWER GENERATION BY DR. LINDA HARVEY/DR. CATHY VAKIL" subtab on the CCAMU website.

--------------------------------

3) MUSHKEGOWAUK, KI AND ARDOCH FIRST NATIONS RESPOND TO PROPOSED CHANGES TO ONTARIO'S MINING ACT

What’s missing in Mining Act changes? The Right to Say NO

Proposed amendments do little to prevent conflicts

Embargoed till May 25, 2009

TORONTO – In response to proposed changes to Ontario’s Mining Act, Mushkegowuk Council, Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug and Ardoch Algonquin First Nation call on the province to respect the right of First Nations to say NO to all aspects of mining from prospecting to exploration to full mine development in their traditional territories. The First Nations clarify that the Ontario government must respect and adhere to Constitutional duty of consultation and accommodation and the internationally recognized right of free prior and informed consent. This has not been addressed by the proposed changes Minister Gravelle introduced on April 30, 2009.

“The Supreme Court of Canada has said that consultation and accommodation have to be meaningful. How can they be meaningful if we don’t have the right to say NO to mining that will impact our lives and culture?” says Grand Chief Stan Louttit of the Mushkegowuk Council. The Mushkegowuk Council is comprised of seven communities including Attawapiskat, Fort Albany, Kashechewan, Moose Cree, New Post, Chapleau Cree and Missanabie Cree. Their homelands cover a vast area in and around James Bay of the Boreal Forest.

Changes to the Act were prompted in part by ongoing conflicts between mineral exploration companies and First Nations that resulted in the incarceration of Bob Lovelace and KI Six last year.   “These amendments will not resolve the KI Platinex conflict. Further conflict is all but inevitable,” says Sam McKay, Councillor and Spokesperson for Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug (KI). Mr. McKay was one of KI Six who spent 68 days in jail.

 “The proposed changes to the Mining Act are smoke and mirrors,” says Mireille Lapointe, Co-Chief of the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation.  “They are meant to placate and silence dissent. Consultation without the right to say NO is meaningless and a cynical exercise,” adds Chief Lapointe.  Bob Lovelace of the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation spent 101 days in jail for saying NO to uranium exploration.

The call for respect for free, prior and informed consent is widely supported including by six public interest groups: CPAWS Wildlands League, Ecojustice Canada, Mining Watch Canada, Ontario Nature, Amnesty International Canada and Christian Peacemaker Teams Canada.

For further information:

Grand Chief Stan Louttit, Mushkegowuk Council, mobile 705-288-0157
Co-Chief Mireille LaPointe, Ardoch Algonquin First Nation 613-273-3530
Councillor Sam McKay, Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug, 807-537-2263 and mobile 807-629-7266
Anna Baggio, CPAWS Wildlands League, mobile 416-453-3285
Ramsey Hart, Mining Watch Canada, 613-614-9937

-----------------------

4) LIVING WITH URANIUM: PROTECTING YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY

HOSTED BY ENVIRONMENT HALIBURTON!
C.U.M.E. & F.U.M.E. ***FREE ADMISSION***

SATURDAY, JUNE 20, 2009 1:00 - 4:00 pm
FLEMING COLLEGE, HALIBURTON VILLAGE

Dr. Linda Harvey/Reeve Dave Burton/Roger Young

Christine Atrill, F.U.M.E./Susanne Lauten, C.U.M.E.

SGS Labs

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

www.environmenthaliburton.ca OR www.fighturanium.com

--------------------------------

5) ARTICLE: NUNATSIAVUT GOVERNMENT HAS NO INTENTION OF LIFTING URANIUM MINING MORATORIUM

CBC News
May 21, 2009

"In Labrador, the Nunatsiavut government has no intention of lifting its
moratorium on uranium mining. The Inuit legislature put the ban in place
one year ago, and it will continue for two more years."

To read the rest of this article go to,
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2009/05/21/nunatsiavut-ban-521.html

--------------------------------

6) ARTICLE: LEAKING REACTOR MAY BE 'GONE FOR GOOD'

Health crisis feared as Ont. facility shutdown could spark shortage of medical isotopes

By David Akin, May 21, 2009

The Edmonton Journal

"As radioactive water continues to leak from the nuclear reactor that produces more than half the world's medical isotopes, Canwest News Service has learned that technicians at the Chalk River, Ont., facility are privately wondering if the end has finally come for the world's oldest reactor."

To read the rest of this article go to,
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Technology/Leaking+reactor+gone+good/1615106/story.html

----------------------

7) MEDIA RELEASE: NO NUKES GROUP TARGET OF SABOTAGE

May 19, 2009

Local anti-nuclear group, Grand Erie Energy Quest, is reporting a sabotage campaign directed at the “No Nukes” lawn signs that have been appearing on residents’ properties over the past few weeks. The group has had a large number of signs removed from supporters’ lawns. Almost as soon as they started to go up, signs were reported stolen during the night.

What at first seemed like simple vandalism now looks to be an organized effort involving multiple persons working from vehicles. Signs have been removed from private property in Nanticoke , Port Dover, Port Ryerse, Fisher’s Glen and Waterford , as well as from rural properties around the Haldimand-Norfolk area.

“How undemocratic!” was the shocked response from one local woman when informed of what has been happening.

The lawns signs were purchased from a Simcoe printer through a few sizable donations from Grand Erie Energy Quest members. The signs are similar to those used during election campaigns. Unlike election campaign signs, public interest advocacy signs are not protected by Elections Canada. Theft, however, is a criminal offense and the group says it will pursue thieves and demand prosecution. At least one GEEQ supporter has notified the OPP of the theft of two signs from a rural residence.

“It’s a bit discouraging,” said Richard Goodlet, a founding member of Grand Erie Energy Quest. “We are being inundated with a one-sided message from a private corporation with deep pockets. This has been our biggest expense and it seems that we are being targeted by anti-free speech, un-Canadian cowards. They only do their mischief under cover of darkness.” Without elaborating, Goodlet said group members are resorting to some creative anti-theft measures.

Jim Elve has had four signs removed from his Waterford property. He says the anti-nuke group has waged a respectful and legal campaign and worries about the turn the debate is taking.

“I work from home and I’m in most days. If someone sees my sign and knocks on my door to discuss the pros and cons of nuclear energy, I’m happy to talk. If they want a sign for their lawn, I’m happy to supply one,” quipped Elve. “I think it’s a bit ironic that a recent editorial talked about scare tactics being used by anti-nuclear people. I really haven’t heard anyone talking about meltdowns or explosions. This assault on our freedom of expression and trespass on our private property, however, is a real scare tactic and is aimed at intimidating concerned citizens and silencing our voices. What’s next?

For further information, contact:

Jim Elve
519-443-8085
je...@jelve.com

Richard Goodlet
519-428-1548
pagod...@kwic.com

--------------------------------

8) ARTICLE: CAMECO TO REOPEN PORT HOPE URANIUM HEXAFLURIDE CONVERSION FACILITY

Cameco said it will resume its UF6 production at its Port Hope conversion facility within a month.

Author: Dorothy Kosich
Mineweb

May 20, 2009

"RENO,  NV  - Uranium mega-miner Cameco announced Tuesday it is preparing to resume its uranium hexafluoride (UF6) production at its Port Hope conversion facility in southern Ontario.

UF6 production is expected to resume early in the third quarter of this year.  The Port Hope plant had just been reopened last September after the June 2007 closure after the discovery of leaked uranium and arsenic contamination in the ground beneath the plant."

To read the rest of this article go to,
http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/mineweb/en/page72103?oid=83548&sn=Detail

--------------------------

9) MEDIA RELEASE: MPP BARTOLUCCI URGES CITY COUNCIL TO SAY “NO” TO NUCLEAR WASTE IN SUDBURY

Thursday May 21, 2009

 “City Council must be firm in deflecting any attempt to bury this waste in our community,” says MPP.

Greater Sudbury –  Local MPP Rick Bartolucci is strongly urging Greater Sudbury’s City Council to pass a resolution that would veto a proposal to bury nuclear waste in the Sudbury area.

The proposal, set forth by the Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO), could see a large scale, deep geological repository built in Greater Sudbury, tasked with the purpose of storing some of Canada’s used nuclear waste.

“Our community must be clear in our message to City Council that we do not want this type of storage in our community,” said Bartolucci. “There is no dollar figure, no salary, and no number of jobs that would be worth risking the health of our children, our landscape and our future.”

While no decisions have been made as of yet, the NWMO will be touring Northern Ontario Communities in the coming week. On May 25 at 2 p.m. the NWMO will be at Sudbury’s Howard Johnson Plaza on Brady Street offering Sudburians the opportunity to seek more information and/or present concerns relating to the proposal.

“I am urging all Sudburians to say no to this proposal and to urge City Council to pass a resolution indicating they do not support this idea either,” concluded Bartolucci. “We are not the dumping ground for Canada’s nuclear waste nor do we ever want to be.”

Contact
Rick Bartolucci
705.675.1914

10) ARTICLE: BARTOLUCCI SAYS NO TO NUCLEAR WASTE DUMP

May 21, 2009

BY: Bill Bradley
Sudbury Northern Life

"Sudbury MPP Rick Bartolucci has slammed any notion of burying nuclear waste in Greater Sudbury, in a release Thursday."

To read the rest of this article go to,

http://www.northernlife.ca/News/LocalNews/2009/Nuclear210509014.asp?NLStory=Nuclear210509014

11) ARTICLE: TOXIC LINK: THE WHO AND THE IAEA

A 50-year-old agreement with the IAEA has effectively gagged the WHO from telling the truth about the health risks of radiation

By: Oliver Tickell
The Guardian
May 28, 2009

"Fifty years ago, on 28 May 1959, the World Health Organisation's assembly voted into force an obscure but important agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency – the United Nations "Atoms for Peace" organisation, founded just two years before in 1957. The effect of this agreement has been to give the IAEA an effective veto on any actions by the WHO that relate in any way to nuclear power – and so prevent the WHO from playing its proper role in investigating and warning of the dangers of nuclear radiation on human health."

To read the rest of this article go to,
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/may/28/who-nuclear-power-chernobyl