URANIUM NEWS: UPDATED HISTORY OF THE URANIUM CONFLICT APRIL 2008-MAY 2009

Steev Morgan

Jun 2, 2009, 2:51:00 PM6/2/09
to the...@googlegroups.com
UPDATED HISTORY OF THE URANIUM CONFLICT APRIL 2008-MAY 2009

FOR THE HISTORY FROM OCTOBER 2006-MARCH 2008
 PLEASE GO TO THE CCAMU WEBSITE AND
CLICK ON "HISTORY" TAB.

When people ask me for a nutshell version of the history of the Frontenac uranium fight, I always pause and ask myself, "Where do I begin?" "What parts should I leave out?" There are literally thousands of people who have been apart of this protest and their collective contributions have made this story remarkable. The names that appear in the following pages are just a few of the key players that have made their mark. There are many, many more who have contributed in ways that are not as public but very important.

The other day a friend of mine suggested that I could start the history off at about the 10,000-year mark. The Frontenac region was sparsely populated at the time and the people were most likely living in a greater state of harmony with the planet. Or the history could start at the point where the Nordic travelers landed on the Eastern shores of this huge continent, searching for natural resources while fleeing domestic problems. And then there's the European invasion, bringing with them colonialism and weary peasants looking for a place to call home.
If we want to go to the beginning of the "uranium" story, we could always go back to the 1940's, 50's and 60's, when Canada was once again acting as the natural resource bank account for the US. This is not the first time mining prospectors have been drilling holes in this region, looking to strike the mother load (or play the stock market game) and the Frontenacs isn't the only spot with old test holes that have been leaking radon gas into the surrounding district. There are sections on the North Shore of Christie Lake in Tay Valley Township that look like Swiss cheese.

Needless to say this story is complex. There are so many groups and individuals that have a stake in this situation that it would require a separate book for each story. Some people have joined us to fight for First Nations' land claims, some, to fight the nuclear industry and others to focus on the archaic and unjust Ontario Mining Act. The one thing that has tied all of us together is the potent and hazardous mineral, uranium and all of its daughter products. As those who have had their lives touched by this "serpent's egg" (to coin a phrase used by the First Nations of the Serpent River Band near Elliot Lake) can tell you, uranium is one natural resource best left bound to Mother Earth. All evidence points to simple two facts…we may know how to use this powerful substance but we don't know how to clean up our mess and just because we have the ability to do something, does not mean we should.

I joined this fight because I am the seventh generation of my family to live in this region. My family is not native to this area, as I am of Scottish/Ukrainian heritage and I don't think I can lay claim to those areas of the planet given my family's long absence. This leaves me in the same position as millions of other Canadians, a person with a heritage but no "homeland." As a result, I have become particularly attached to this little piece of paradise and I really would like the next seven generations of my family to be able to live and thrive, here or any other part of planet earth, without the threat of radiation poisoning. I know thousands of other CCAMU members feel the same way.

So here is the updated abridged version of the Frontenac uranium fight. The updated section starts at April 2008. To read the entire history with all of the links, please go to http://www.ccamu.ca and click on the HISTORY tab. The History page can be used as a navigational tool for research, as all of the supporting documentation are now on our website.

Lynn Daniluk

April 1, 2008: The first in a series of hearings for Citizens' Inquiry into the Impacts of the Uranium Cycle takes place in Sharbot Lake. Carol Pepper hosts the event. Hundreds of people attend and 35 people made presentations on behalf of themselves and/or the organizations that they represented. For more information about these hearings go to http://www.uraniumcitizensinquiry.com/

April 8, 2008: The second hearing for the Citizens' Uranium Inquiry takes place in Kingston. The Kingston team of Cathy Wills, Susan DeLisle, Anne and Eric Joss hosts this event.
To see photos of this and other uranium related events go to Garth Gullekson website at http://www.darlingtonmediaworks.com/garth/2008/CitizensInquiryKingston/

April 9, 2008: Ryerson Students' Union Rally in support of Robert Lovelace and the KI Six. To see the Youtube video of this event click on,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBHzuFSUnm0

April 9, 2008: Cartoonist David Spivey introduces the "Uranium Ewes" cartoon to CCAMU. To see the Uranium Ewes go to the front page of the CCAMU website.

April 15, 2008: The third hearing for the Citizens' Uranium Inquiry takes place in Peterborough hosted by Anna Petry and Safe And Green Energy (SAGE). Many people attend from the Port Hope region. Their personal accounts of how uranium has impacted their community was very moving and at times very upsetting.

April 20, 2008: Lanark Health & Community Services calls for a moratorium on uranium mining. To see their letter to Primer McGuinty click on the "LETTERS OF SUPPORT" tab, then the "LANARK HEALTH & COMMUNITY SERVICES" subtab, on the CCAMU website.

April 20, 2008: Chief Doreen Davis, of the Shabot Obaadjiwan First Nation, is one of 16 Algonquin Negotiation Representatives (ANR). ANRs are elected from 10 Algonquin communities to negotiate along side the independent negotiator Bob Potts. They are tasked with the responsibility of negotiating a modern day settlement for the Algonquin's of Ontario. This document can be found by clicking on the "FIRST NATIONS" tab, then the "NATIVE LAND CLAIMS" subtab on our website.

April 21, 2008: A "Health Alert and Action" press conference is held at the Sheraton Hotel in Ottawa by The Physicians for Global Survival, the Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment and many other professional medical associations regarding their concerns about the increasing health risks of radiation pollution on the well being of the Canadian population. They present a medical study of the impact of uranium mining on public health. The "Jadugoda Uranium Study" is a vitally important document that alerts us to the potential environmental dangers of the proposed uranium mines in eastern Ontario and western Quebec. To read this report click on the "URANIUM SCIENCE" tab and then the "JADUGODA URANIUM STUDY" subtab on the CCAMU website.

April 21, 2008: Imprisoned Robert Lovelace submits his handwritten presentation to the Citizens Uranium Inquiry via surface mail. To read his presentation, click on the "FIRST NATIONS" tab, then the "BOB LOVELACE CITIZEN INQUIRY SUBMISSION" subtab on the CCAMU website.

April 21, 2008: Robert Lovelace speaks to Donna Dillman from prison. She reports:
"What is happening with the Inquiry and all that is being done is wonderful. I'm absolutely impressed by the momentum, and the civilized way that it is being done.  We are going to win this," he says and spoke to how much he appreciated the support he is, personally, receiving; the letters, the rallies, the fast, the many supporters doing so much, and the fact that he remains in our thoughts and prayers.  He encouraged us to, "Please keep up the good work; keep the pressure on." To read the rest of this report click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then the APRIL 22, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.

April 22, 2008: The fourth and final venue of the Citizens' Uranium Inquiry is held in Ottawa. 41 presentations are made to a full house. The Ottawa Community Coalition Against Mining Uranium (OCAMU) hosts the event. Grandfather William Commanda honours the Inquiry with an opening prayer ceremony given in three languages.

Several notable speakers come forward with very detailed research regarding uranium mining and nuclear energy.

Dr. Chris Busby PhD makes a stunning presentation where he reveals that the Ontario Nuclear "… project cannot go ahead because new science shows that the basis on which it is environmentally acceptable is false." He goes on to say that the, "…agencies and governments that employ their erroneous risk models ignore, indeed do not even cite or discuss the massive evidence that their model is worthless when applied to internal exposures to elements that bind to DNA. This is an open scandal. Indeed, the senior advisor to the World Health Organization (WHO) on radiation and health, Dr Keith Baverstock, recently resigned on the issue of the health effects of uranium and how they were being ignored." To read more about Chris Busby's work click on the "URANIUM SCIENCE" tab, then the "URANIUM MINING: THE AREVA MINING PROJECT. SASK" subtab on the CCAMU website.

Stephan Hazell of the Sierra Club Canada states that under the Nuclear Liability Act nuclear operators are limited to $75 million dollar liability for off-site damage from spills of radioactive spills or meltdown. Chernobyl clean up for Ukraine and Belarus alone is expected to total $460 Billion. "If no one will insure this industry, how safe can it be?"
To read his report click on, http://www.ccamu.ca/pdfs/inquiry-report.pdf

Roger Peters, of The Pembina Institute, covers their study 'Renewable is Doable.' The study reviewed the Ontario Power Association's plan to refurbishment of most existing nuclear plants and bring in new nuclear by about 2020. They found that renewable alternatives were more affordable and greener than nuclear or coal. They also emit half the greenhouse gas emissions. Pembina's proposals are based on what is already being done in other parts of the world such as Germany. They are currently presenting these finding to the Ontario Energy Board and bring in experts from outside of Canada.
For more information go to http://www.renewableisdoable.com/

Qais Ghanmen, MD makes a comprehensive presentation on the Health Hazards of Uranium. To upload his power point presentation click on,
http://pgs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/uranium-citizens-inquiry-website.ppt

April 23, 2008: FUME (Fight Uranium Mining and Exploration) announces that the Haliburton County Council has adopted a resolution asking the McGuinty government for a moratorium on uranium mining in support of the original Highlands East (Bancroft area) resolution. The HCC is the 19th municipal council to come on board. For more information on FUME click on, http://www.fighturanium.com/

April 24, 2008: Native leaders from across the province hold a rally in front of the legislature over the jailing of six members of a remote reserve who opposed mining on their land. Premier Dalton McGuinty vows to reform the province's 135-year-old mining act to strike a better balance between the competing interests of mining companies and native communities.

April 25, 2008: High profile Canadians such as Margaret Atwood & Stephen Lewis write a joint letter to Premier McGuinty, demanding the immediate release of Robert Lovelace and the KI Six. To read the rest of their demands and McGuinty's response, click on the "LETTERS OF SUPPORT" tab, then the "HIGH PROFILE CANADIANS WRITE TO MCGUINTY" subtab on the CCAMU website.

April 28, 2008: A benefit concert is held at the Green Door in Ottawa for the Shabot Obaadjiwan Algonquin and Shawn Brant legal defence funds. Speakers representing the Shabot Obaajiwan Algonquins, the Tyendinaga Legal Defence Fund, and the Ottawa Coalition Against Mining Uranium (OCAMU) make presentations.

April 28, 2008: Appeal date is set for Robert Lovelace and the KI Six. At this point they have been incarcerated for 6 months for contempt of court.  Their sentences are to be appealed on May 28th at the Court of Appeal: Osgoode Hall, Queen & University Aves, in Toronto.

April 28, 2008: Plans are made to create a Queen's Park Test City on May 26-29th to show solidarity for Robert Lovelace, the KI Six and the indigenous communities across Ontario.

May 7, 2008: Perth Uranium Info Night sponsored by student Mavrick Spuehler at the St. John's High School. John Kittle, Mireille LaPointe, Donna Dillman, Terry Tufts and Frank Morrison speak about their personal experience over this past year, information they have gathered and the impact the protest has had on their lives.

May 8, 2008: Ontario Aboriginal Affairs Minister, Michael Bryant, meets with the Shabot Obaadjiwan First Nation in Sharbot Lake.  Discussions revolved around the uranium exploration at Robertsville, Ontario.  The Minister meets with Chief Doreen Davis, Shabot Obaadjiwan Council and Justice Circle for 4 hours.  Elder William Commanda also attends the meeting. To read about this event click on the "FIRST NATIONS" tab, then the "ABORIGINAL AFFAIRS MINISTER VISITS SHABOT OBAADJIWAN" subtab on the CCAMU website.

May 8, 2008: "ACT for the Earth" holds a rally in solidarity with Robert Lovelace, the KI-6, and the Tyendinaga of the Bay of Quinte, during Premier McGuinty's speech to the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce at the Westin Ottawa Hotel. For more information on ACT for the Earth click on, http://www.ACTfortheEarth.org

May 14th, 2008:  Ottawa City Council asks Premier McGuinty to respond to their February 2007 request for a moratorium on uranium mineral prospecting, exploration and mining in eastern Ontario. To read this letter click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then the "MAY 14, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.

May 23, 2008: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. sends Ontario's Premier McGuinty a tersely worded letter in which he asks that the Premier reform Ontario’s outdated mining rules and do whatever possible to halt ongoing drilling on traditional lands of jailed First Nations’ leaders. For a copy of the letter, please see www.wildlandsleague.org

May 23, 2008: The KI Six are granted temporary release from prison.

May 23, 2008: The Canadian Unitarian Council urges the McGuinty government to declare an immediate moratorium on uranium mineral prospecting, exploration and mining. To read their letter click on the "LETTERS OF SUPPORT" tab, then the "CANADIAN UNITARIAN COUNCIL" subtab on the CCAMU website.

May 26-28, 2008: Native and environmental protesters set up a three-day camp on the grounds of Queen's Park. They demand that the Ontario government revise the province's mining legislation and release Robert Lovelace and the KI Six from prison.
To read the CBC News report on this event click on, http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/05/27/k1-protest.html

May 27, 2008: A packed courtroom erupts into cheers of joy when Robert Lovelace & the KI 6 walk free from the Court of Appeal at Osgoode Hall, in Toronto, Ontario. Extensive media were present in and outside of the courtroom.
Robert served 106 days of a 6-month sentence handed down by Justice Cunningham back in February 2008. His sentence is reduced to time served and the $25,000 fine handed out by Cunningham is eliminated.
The Toronto Court of Appeal states that their ruling did not mean they endorsed the first sentence. In fact, the three judges who were presiding over the appeal appeared bewildered at the original sentencing and repeatedly asked the lawyer for Frontenac Ventures Corp. where, in Canadian law, was the precedent for such a harsh sentence for a first time offence of this type. The lawyer for Frontenac Ventures Corporation, Neil Smitheman, responded by saying that previous protestors had been sentenced to a week or two, and that this sentence and these fines were, in themselves, precedent setting.
As with the first court session in Kingston, the courtroom was changed due to the public's demand to witness the proceedings. The celebration continued at Queen's Park as tents and teepees had been set up for an ongoing protest. Hundreds of supporters joined in the festivities.

May 29, 2008: Robert Lovelace is the lead story on CBC Radio's "As It Happens". To hear this broadcast click on,
http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/asithappens/20080529-aih-1.wmv
Numerous other articles are written about the release of Robert Lovelace and the uranium protest. To find the links to these articles click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then "MAY 30, 2008" & "JUNE 1, 2008" subtabs on the CCAMU website.

May 31, 2008: Ten members of a Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) delegation travel to Sharbot Lake, Ontario. The purpose of the nine-day delegation is to listen and learn about the situation at Sharbot Lake around exploratory drilling for uranium on land claimed by the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation and Sharbot Obaadjiwan First Nation. They plan to hold public vigils 100 meters from the gate of the Robertsville protest site.

June 1, 2008: Helen Forsey gives an update on the continued Robertsville protest and site activities. To read this report go to "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then click on the "JUNE 1, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.

June 2, 2008: Court hearing for the Ardoch Algonquin, the Shabot Obaajiwan and non-natives Sheila McDonald, Beth Robertson, Oskar Graf, Eileen Kinley, Don Hanam and Sulyn Cedar. Over 150 people come to support those charged. The courtroom can only accommodate 30 people so the rest wait outside of the locked door or listen in through open windows. Justice Douglas Cunningham dismisses all contempt of court charges after Ontario provincial police and Frontenac Ventures Corporation state they're not interested in pursuing the case. To read the report on this hearing go to "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then click on "JUNE 3, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.

June 9, 2008: A pick-up truck of a diamond drill company is seen going into the gate of the Robertsville mine site. CCAMU issues a press release regarding our opposition to the drilling.
To read this press release click on "MEDIA RELEASES" tab, then the "06/11/08: CCAMU OPPOSES DRILLING IN ROBERTVILLE" subtab on the CCAMU website.

Speculations fly but police claim they do not know of any drilling going on at the site when questioned by the CCAMU police liaison. It is later discovered that there was in fact drilling taking place. See February 12, 2009 below.

June 10, 2008: It is discovered that Frontenac Ventures Corporation has committed a number of infractions during its exploration at the Robertsville site. CCAMU calls on the Minister of Natural Resources to do an inspection. To read this letter to the Minister click on the "CCAMU DOCUMENTS" tab, then the "CCAMU CALLS FOR AN INSPECTION OF THE ROBERTSVILLE SITE 06-11-08" subtab on the CCAMU website.

June 11, 2008: Chief Doreen Davis and Earl Badour Sr. of the Shabot Obaajiwan First Nation release a statement regarding their position in the anti-uranium fight. To read this statement click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then the "JUNE 11, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.

June 13, 2008: Shabot Obaadjiwan First Nation announces that they have "won a key concession from Ontario in its efforts to protect the environment and citizens of their traditional territory.  Ontario, the Shabot Obaadjiwan Algonquin, and the Algonquin of Ontario, with the support of Frontenac Ventures Corporation, are developing a consultation process that will allow them to share information and engage in dialogue towards resolving the issues regarding the uranium exploration project."
The announcement goes on to say that, " This agreement came on the same day that Ontario disclosed it has laid charges against Frontenac Ventures and Gemmill Sand and Gravel Limited with breach of environmental regulations.  Road construction permitting access to the proposed uranium drill sites has damaged the sensitive wetlands in the area, dumping fill into the waterways severing the natural flow of the water.  The two companies will have to answer these charges 7 August 2008 in Provincial Court in Kingston Ontario."
To read the entire announcement click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then the "JUNE 13, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.

June 13, 2008: CCAMU receives confirmation from Kyle Cachagee of the Ministry of Natural Resources that it has "…recently laid charges for work conducted on Crown land in Palmerston Township , in the vicinity of the area locally known as Robertsville…" but " Since the case is before the courts, I am not in a position to discuss the details at this time."
To see this letter click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then the JUNE 13, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.

June 13, 2008: CCAMU's Donna Dillman questions the constant police presence "at the uranium exploration site on Hwy 509 at Robertsville. What is it about the interlocutory injunction that continues to give Frontenac Ventures free round-the-clock police protection when the ongoing protest presence at the site ended months ago, and when there has never, ever, been any kind of threat to personnel at the site. What is this costing the public?
Compare that to someone who has gone through the court system to obtain a peace bond or restraining order because their life has actually been threatened. Even though such a court order may require that the named individual maintain a certain distance, just as is the case with the interlocutory injunction, no police officer stands on guard 24/7 to guarantee compliance."

June 13, 2008: The Frontenac News reports "URANIUM: LOTS OF SPECULATION, BUT NO DRILLING, THUS FAR"
The article states, "The rumour mill has been working on overdrive this week ever since it was reported that a pickup truck bearing the insignia of a drilling company was seen entering the gate at the Robertsville mine over the weekend.
A further report on Monday that a drill has been spotted behind the gate led to a strong reaction from both CCAMU (Community Coalition Against Mining Uranium) and the Shabot Obaadjiwan First Nation.
Both groups said they had independent confirmation that a drill has been brought onto the site."
The article goes on to say, "However, in a telephone interview with the News on Tuesday morning, Frontenac Ventures President George White did not confirm that a drill has been brought onto the site.
"There have been drilling company people walking the site, and we have brought in some heavy equipment to carry out our extensive exploration program," he said. "Maybe that's what they saw."
White would not however, categorically deny that a drill has been brought on to the site. "We have every right to carry out our exploration program, including drilling, according to Justice Cunningham's ruling of September 27, 2007," White said."
To read the full article click on the following link,
http://www.newsweb.ca/2008/08-23_jun_12/uranium_08-23.html

June 14th, 2008: Artists for Robert Lovelace Benefit Concert is held in Kingston, Ont.
Artists include: Bruce Cockburn, Michael Ondaatje, Susan Aglukark, David Francey, Jenny Whiteley, Joey Wright, Steven Heighton, Terry Tufts, Kathryn Briggs, Unity and the Algonquin Drummers.
Over $20,000 was raised by the benefit concert and all funds will be sent to a trust account established by Robert's colleagues at Queen's University and administered by the Ontario Public Interest Research Group (OPIRG). They will be used, at Robert's discretion, to defer costs related to his three-month incarceration, legal fees for his lawyer Chris Reid, and the continuing struggle against the threat of an open pit uranium mine in North Frontenac County.
To read a full report of the concert go to http://www.ccamu.ca/artist-for-bob-concert.htm

June 14-15, 2008: Paul Loiselle, of Kiwi Gardens in Perth, Ontario host CCAMU at the "Art in the Garden" show. This event, which highlights the beauty in nature and the creativity of humans, has never included a display such as CCAMU's. Paul states that he has been "…keeping it just to art" but, "If a uranium mine goes through, we won't have this…" gesturing to the surrounding gardens.

June 16, 2008: The City of Peterborough City Council unanimously passes a resolution call for a moratorium on uranium mining in Ontario making it the 20th municipality to come on board.

June 17, 2008: The last of the 230 submissions are posted on the Uranium Citizens' Inquiry website thanks to a huge effort on the part of Donna Dillman and Elisha Rubisha.
To see the website go to, http://www.uraniumcitizensinquiry.com/

June 18, 2008: Donna Dillman takes to the road with the "No Uranium" message. She and her husband, Mike Nickerson, author of "Life, Money & Illusion; Living on Earth as if we want to Stay," visits over 75 towns and cities as they cross Canada and the US.
To read the outcome of this tour click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then the "JULY 31, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.

June 23, 2008: Randy Hillier, the MPP for Lanark, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington, demands to know why the government is spending taxpayers' money to have provincial police keep surveillance on the site of the Robertsville exploration site.
In a CBC News report Hiller's states, "There has never been any indication of violence or injury or destruction of property."
Frontenac's lawyer, Neal Smitheman, tells CBC News, that some aboriginal leaders have threatened to openly defy the court injunction. He states, "I can fully understand why the police feel their presence is still required."
Hiller isn't convinced such threats justify the costly police surveillance. "The cost being incurred to ensure nothing would happen … is outrageous. It's a waste of taxpayers' money," Hillier said.
Provincial police won't say what the surveillance costs, and have instead advised CBC News to submit an access-to-information request to the Ontario government.

June 24, 2008: CCAMU releases the Citizens' Uranium Inquiry report at a press conference held at the Queens Park Press Gallery. “Staking Our Claim for a Healthy Future” calls for a moratorium on uranium exploration in Ontario until Aboriginal land rights, and environmental and health impacts are addressed and a Royal Commission into the badly dated Ontario Mining Act.
‘Staking our Claim for a Healthy Future’ is the result of the contribution of volunteers who invested thousands of hours to organize the inquiry and the sessions, 157 presenters and 230 submitted briefs, the seven panel members who played an important role, and the support of individuals and groups who supported the vision of the inquiry to give voice to the unheard communities affected by uranium.
To read the full report click on the CCAMU DOCUMENTS tab, then the "CCAMU REPORT: PRESS CONFERENCE FOR THE RELEASE OF THE CITIZENS' INQUIRY 06-26-08" tab.
To read Marilyn Crawford's Queen's Park press conference speech, click on the "CCAMU DOCUMENTS" tab, then the "MARILYN CRAWFORD CITIZENS' INQUIRY REPORT PRESS CONFERENCE SPEECH: QUEEN'S PARK 06-24-08" subtab on the CCAMU website.

July 5, 2008: City of Kawartha Lakes Council passes the Highlands East resolution for a moratorium on uranium mining and a review of the Mining Act becoming the 21 municipality to come on board.

July 4, 2008: Helen Forsey files a report to the Uranium News on the consultations between the Ontario government and the Shabot Obaadjiwan. Helen reports, "Chief Doreen (Davis) made it clear in her introduction that this meeting was only one small part of a much larger process which includes dialogue between the Algonquin leadership and Ontario government higher-ups, site visits by Algonquin representatives (the first one happened July 3rd), full Algonquin community discussions with their own independent expert, and more community meetings to discuss information and directions."
To read the full report click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then the "JULY 7, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.

July 7, 2008: The court transcript from the Ontario Court of Appeal for the case of Frontenac Ventures Corporation vs. the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation is released.
To read the transcript click on the "FIRST NATIONS" tab, then the COURT TRANSCRIPT FVC VS. AAFN 07/07/08" subtab on the CCAMU website.

July 7, 2008: The Ardoch Algonquin First Nation and the Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug (KI) First Nation release a joint statement regarding the Ontario court of Appeal's decision to release Robert Lovelace and the six leaders from the KI community.
Robert Lovelace states, “We feel fully vindicated in the position we have taken and remain committed to our position that there will be no mineral exploration within the territories of KI or Ardoch without our consent.  Our laws, which require respect for the land, are entitled to at least as much respect as Ontario’s Mining Act.  We remain open to dialogue, but Ontario has never responded to our proposals for negotiations.  We want negotiations, not conflict, but we will enforce our laws and protect our land.”
To read the full press release click on the "FIRST NATIONS" tab, then the "KI & AAFN STATEMENT 07/07/08" subtab on the CCAMU website.

July 11-13, 2008: CCAMU takes part in Lanark's "Art of Being Green" festival.

July 12, 2008: CCAMU is one year old.

July 14, 2008: CCAMU forms an alliance with the Citizens for Renewable Energy (CFRE), a non-profit information sharing and advocacy organization, incorporated in 1996. The Coordinator, Ziggy Kleinau, has spent years informing the public of alternatives to fossil fuels and nuclear energy.
For more information on CFRE go to their website, http://www.cfre.ca.

July 15, 2008: The news source "Kingston This Week" reports that uranium samples have been stolen from a pickup truck. KTW states, "The victim discovered that raw uranium core samples had been stolen from a pickup truck on Byron Cres. Monday, July 14 between 6 p.m. and midnight. The victim is currently employed with a mining corporation that harvests core samples for geological testing. The stolen uranium costs over $100,000 to harvest but has no resale value."
To read the rest of this article go to,
http://www.kingstonthisweek.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1115232&auth=KTW%20Staff

July 16, 2008: The City of Lindsay, of the Kawartha Lakes district, becomes the 23rd Ontario municipality to call for a moratorium on uranium mining and an overhaul of the Ontario Mining Act.

July 21, 2008: The Ardoch Algonquin First Nation holds a traditional teaching (the story of the Great Bow), given by Bob Lovelace at the Robertsville site on Highway 509. 30 people attended the event and the Kingston Whig-Standard posted an article on their website with the headline "OPP INVESTIGATING URANIUM SITE VISITORS." The article goes on to say, "As many as 30 people who turned up at the controversial uranium mine site near Sharbot Lake yesterday could find themselves in hot water for violating a court injunction."
To read the rest of the article go to,
http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1123917

July 24, 2008: CCAMU's Marilyn Crawford writes a letter to Premier McGuinty asking that he withdraw the staked property in the Robertsville exploration area.
To read this letter click on the "CCAMU DOCUMENTS" tab, then the "CCAMU LETTER: MCGUINTY WITHDRAW LAND IN THE ROBERTSVILLE AREA 07-24-08" subtab on the CCAMU website.

August 3, 2008: Jeff Woods accompanied by Terry Tufts, Jeremy Sills and the Blue Skies Choir, performs his new song Uranium Hallelujah (to the tune of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen) at Blue Skies Music Festival in front of a large and apprecitive audience. The song quickly becomes CCAMU's theme song and is sung at other protest events.
To read the words of Uranium Hallelujah go to the front page of the CCAMU website.

August 5, 2008: The Ontario government announces that it will be holding a series of public and stakeholder meetings about modernizing the Ontario Mining Act. Facilitated public and stakeholder sessions will be held in Timmins (August 11), Sudbury (August 13), Thunder Bay (August 18), Kingston (August 28) and Toronto (September 8.)
Jessey Bird of the Ottawa Citizen reports,
"The Ontario government is launching a series of public consultations next week to discuss modernizing the Ontario Mining Act, but one topic that won't be up for discussion is the recent calls for a provincial ban on uranium mining, the minister responsible says."
To read the rest of this article go to,
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=30746066-6646-4220-bb2d-2a2a406f5c89

August 7, 2008: CCAMU responds to the Ontario government's announcement about its review of the Ontario Mining Act. CCAMU believes the review is flawed for the following reasons:
1) The timing of the consultation is inadequate.
2) The scope of the consultation has not been released.
3) Stakeholders have not been given clear directions on how to participate.
4) The scope does not include discussion on uranium.
5) Meeting locations are limited with no consideration given to preparation and travel time.
To read the rest of this document click on the "CCAMU DOCUMENTS" tab, then the "CCAMU RESPONSE TO THE MNDM PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS ON MINING ACT REFORM" subtab on the CCAMU website.

August 6, 2008: The Ardoch Algonquin First Nation invites the public to gather at the gate of the Robertsville protest site on August 6th and 8th for two separate gatherings.

August 7, 2008: CCAMU receives this message from the OPP,
"We remind you that our mission remains the same and the court injunction including the 200 meter zone and the John/Jane Doe warrants are still in effect. We will measure our response to each report of person or persons attending the Robertsville Mine Site on its own merit and determine the appropriate action. The most recent event allegedly includes a person wearing a disguise and arguing with Frontenac Ventures employees. We encourage you to consider your motive for attending - is it peaceful and lawful?"
Respectfully, Dale Cousins, OPP MELT Unit

August 27, 2008: Frontenac Ventures Corporation files a "Leave to Appeal the Appellant" to challenge the court decision which freed Robert Lovelace. FVC plans to take their case to the Supreme Court of Canada.
Robert Lovelace responds,
"While it means there is a remote possibility I will have to serve the rest of my sentence, we welcome the opportunity to argue the issues before the Supreme Court of Canada. Frontenac Ventures must be "mad" to have kicked this sleeping dog. The wisdom of their actions has always eluded me. Watch for interesting actions on our part over the next month."

August 28, 2008: The Ontario government's consultation on the Ontario Mining Act is held in Kingston, Ontario. At the "stakeholders" session, the Deputy Minister of Northern Development and Mines, as well as an Assistant Deputy Minister listened to representatives from Haliburton, Ottawa, Tay Valley, Lanark, Sharbot Lake, Bedford, North Frontenac, and other areas.
Overwhelmingly, there was a call to re-unite mineral and surface rights, have mining placed within the local municipal governing process, and to have environmental and other local interests be part of an approval process before mining exploration takes place.
Between sessions, Rob Matheson, a Kingston municipal councilor, and Robert Lovelace addresses a large rally organized by Paul Gervan of CCAMU.
To read this Wolfe Erlichman's report on this event click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then the "AUGUST 30, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.
To read the CBC's report of this event go to,
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/08/29/ot-uranium-080829.html?ref=rss
To read the Kingston Whig-Standard report of this event go to,
http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1177457

September 15, 2008: Marion Dewar, a former mayor of Ottawa and one-time New Democratic Party Member of Parliament, dies. Marion volunteered her time for many community pursuits including her role as a member of the panel for the Citizens' Inquiry into the Impacts of the Uranium Cycle this past April and contributor to the report, 'Staking our Claim on a Healthy Future.' She was a 2002 recipient of the Order of Canada and an advocate for social justice, the environment and healthy communities.

October 12, 2008: CCAMU's Marilyn Crawford submits comments on the Ontario government's public consultation process to “modernize the Ontario Mining Act.” The consultations were focused around the government’s discussion paper "Modernizing Ontario’s Mining Act, Finding a Balance". Closed door stakeholder and open public consultations took place from August 11th to September 8th in Timmins, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Kingston and Toronto.
To read the government discussion paper "Modernizing Ontario’s Mining Act, Finding a Balance" go to, http://www.mndm.gov.on.ca/miningact/pdf/discussion_paper_e.pdf.
To read CCAMU's comments click on the "CCAMU DOCUMENTS" tab, then the "CCAMU'S SUBMISSION TO THE REVIEW OF THE ONTARIO MINING ACT 10-12-08" subtab on the CCAMU website.

November 29, 2008: CTV’s current affairs program W5 brings national attention to the plight of Ontario landowners who for more than a decade, have been fighting to protect their properties from unwanted mining activities. The program claims that in spite of the process to reform the Mining Act of Ontario, the failings of the Act continue to be a hot topic. CCAMU releases a statement welcoming the TV attention, hoping it will spur the government to seriously consider its proposals to fix antiquated mining legislation in Ontario.
To read CCAMU's press release click on the "MEDIA RELEASES" tab, then the "12/01/08: FLAWS OF FREE ENTRY SYSTEM EXPOSED ON NATIONAL TV" subtab on the CCAMU website.

December 1, 2008: The Shabot Obaadjiwan and Snimikobi Algonquin communities, together with the Algonquins of Ontario, Frontenac Ventures Corporation and the Ontario government, release a joint statement that they "have successfully consulted on the company’s proposed uranium exploration plans in Frontenac County, north of Kingston." In their statement, entitled "Building Relationships Through Consultation: Ontario, First Nations And Industry Reach Agreement On Mineral Exploration In Eastern Ontario," they state that they are taking "specific measures to protect health, safety, the environment and respect and protect Aboriginal values and interests."
To see this joint statement click on the "FIRST NATIONS" tab, then the "ONT/SHABOT/FVC REACH AGREEMENT 12/01/08" subtab on the CCAMU website.
To see the Accommodation Agreement among Frontenac Ventures Corporation and the Shabot Obaadjiwan First Nation and the Snimikobi (Ardoch) First Nation click on the "FIRST NATIONS" tab, then the "ONT/SHABOT/FVCOFFICIAL AGREEMENT DOCUMENT 12/01/08" subtab on the CCAMU website.
To see the Accommodation Agreement among FVC and the Algonquins of Ontario click on the "FIRST NATIONS" tab, then the "ONT/SHABOT/FVC OFFICIAL AGREEMENT DOCUMENT 12/01/08" subtab on the CCAMU website.

December 1, 2008: CCAMU responds to the Ontario, FVC and First Nations accommodation agreement in a formal press release… "CCAMU has always been very supportive of our First Nation allies in the common fight against uranium exploration and mining in Eastern Ontario. Though we appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into reaching the concessions the Shabot Obaadjiwan and Snimikobi Algonquin have earned in these negotiations, CCAMU cannot accept any outcome that allows Frontenac Ventures Corporation to explore for uranium in the Mississippi River watershed west of Ottawa."
The statement goes on to say, "These negotiations were conducted behind closed doors with no involvement whatsoever by property owners, businesses or any of the 23 municipal governments in southern Ontario that have petitioned the Province for a moratorium against uranium exploration and drilling. We believe that this shows that the McGuinty government does not take seriously the concerns of 2 million residents represented by these Councils, which include Ottawa, Kingston, Peterborough, Kawartha Lakes and many other smaller townships and counties in eastern Ontario."
To read this CCAMU press release click on the "MEDIA RELEASES" tab, then the "12/01/08: CCAMU RESPONSES TO SHABOT/ONTARIO/FVC AGREEMENT" subtab on the CCAMU website.

December 2, 2008: Robert Lovelace releases a statement on behalf of the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation regarding the accommodation agreement that has been reached among the Ontario government, FVC, Shabot Obaadjiwan First Nation and the Snimikobi (Ardoch) First Nation. He states, "The Ardoch Algonquin First Nation will continue to oppose exploration for uranium and hold Ontario to their legal responsibility to consult and accommodate in an honest and equitable way."
To read this statement click on the "FIRST NATIONS" tab, then the AAFN RESPONDS TO SHABOT/ONT/FVC ACCOMMODATION 12/02/08" subtab on the CCAMU website.

December 4, 2008: Frontenac News publishes an article on the Shabot/ Snimikobi accommodation agreement titled "Shabot Obaadjiwan comes to accommodation agreement with Frontenac Ventures."
To read this article, go to,
http://www.frontenacnews.ca/2008/08-48_dec_4/uranium_08-48.html
To read the Frontenac News Dec, 12, 2008 article "Chief Davis' Deal" go to,
http://www.frontenacnews.ca/2008/08-49_dec_11/editorial_08-49.html

To read other articles and letters written about the agreement click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then the "DECEMBER 6, 2008" and the "DECEMBER 19, 2008" subtabs on the CCAMU website.

December 4, 2008: The Supreme Court Of Canada upholds an earlier ruling that freed native leader Robert Lovelace from prison. Frontenac Ventures Corporation's application for leave to appeal is dismissed with costs to the respondents Ardoch Algonquin First Nation, Robert Lovelace and Paula Sherman.
To read the Kingstion Whig-Standard's report of this event go to, http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1333386

December 10, 2008: CCAMU's Wolfe Erlichman makes a presentation to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission. The Hearing was part of the approval process to refurbish 4 nuclear reactors in Pickering so that they can continue to operate for another 25 to 30 years.
To read Wolfe's presentation click on the "CCAMU DOCUMENTS" tab, then the "CCAMU'S PRESENTATION TO CANADIAN NUCLEAR SAFETY COMMISSION 12-10-08" subtab on the CCAMU website.

December 12, 2008: CCAMU's Marilyn Crawford sends a letter to Leslie Payette, Manager of Environmental Administration for Nunavut objecting to the Uravan Garry Lake Project. To read this document click on the CCAMU DOCUMENTS tab, then the CCAMU OBJECTS TO THE URAVAN GARRY LAKE PROJECT 12-12-08 subtab on the CCAMU website.

February 12, 2008: The Frontenac News confirms that 15 test holes were drilled on Frontenac Ventures’ mining claim properties in late May and June of last year. The article states, "An Ontario Ministry of Labour inspector, Alan Davidson, visited the site on June 23, 2008, and he found the drilling had already been completed. In his report, he wrote that he had a telephone conversation with drilling company owner Bruce Downing, who told him “Drilling operations ceased on June 17, 2008 and the drilling equipment was transported off the site. No further diamond drilling is scheduled at this time”."
To read this article go to,
http://www.frontenacnews.ca/2009/09-06_feb_12/uranium_09-06.html

March 8, 2008: Sulyn Cedar arranges a community uranium meeting held at Maberly Hall, in Maberly Ontario. More than 50 people from nearby and as far away as Kingston,
Peterborough and Ottawa attend. The meeting is co-facilitated by Christine Peringer and Randy Weekes.
To read the report of this meeting click on the "URANIUM NEWS" tab, then the "MARCH 16, 2008" subtab on the CCAMU website.
To read an article of the meeting by the Frontenac News go to,
http://www.frontenacnews.ca/2009/09-10_mar_12/uranium_09-10.html

March 16, 2008: Donna Dillman presents "THE NUCLEAR MYTH" on Perth Radio Station Lake 88.1 on their "On Focus" Program.
To read a Donna's talk click on the "CCAMU DOCUMENTS" tab, then the "DONNA DILLMAN'S THE NUCLEAR MYTH" subtab on the CCAMU website.

March 23, 2009: Dr. Linda Harvey MD, of McDonald’s Corners, Ontario sends a statement that addresses the Council of the City of Pickering, March 23, 2009 regarding the Pickering Nuclear Plant Refurbishment.
To read her letter click on the "CCAMU DOCUMENTS" tab, then the " LINDA HARVEY MD: PICKERING NUCLEAR PLANT REFURBISHMENT" subtab on the CCAMU website.

March 29, 2009: The second community uranium meeting held at Maberly Hall, in Maberly Ontario. Dr. Linda Harvey speaks about radioactive contamination and the effects of radiation on our bodies.
For more information about these monthly meetings email urani...@mail.ccamu.ca.

March 31, 2009: CCAMU ask for support for proposed act to regulate activities in areas with elevated levels of uranium.
To read this document go to the "CCAMU DOCUMENTS" tab, then the CCAMU REQUEST SUPPORT FOR URANIUM REGULATION" subtab on the CCAMU website.

April 30, 2009: MNDM releases the proposed changes to Ontario's Mining Act. To review Bill 173, the Act to amend the Ontario Mining Act, go to,

April 21, 2009: Earl Recoskie of Clarendon Station, Ontario, publishes a statement and photos of shoreline damage at the Robertsville Protest Site. To read his statement and see the photos, go to the front page of the CCAMU website.

May 11, 2009: The Kingston Whig Standard publishes an article stating that CCAMU will keep its protest against uranium exploration and mining alive. The proposed changes to the Ontario Mining Act do not cover the issue of mining uranium.
To read this article click on,
http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1562022