Cairo working within XaraLX

Gemini

May 21, 2010, 11:09:05 AM5/21/10
to The XaraLX Development Group
This is an excerpt from a post from a member at LGU, by the name of
Worker22.
He has been working on porting Cairo to XaraLX and seems has made some
awesome progress!!!

Hi there...

It took me some time but i have some code to share now.
I just posted this to the cairo mailing list :

################
I did some work to make xaralx use the cairo lib. for all drawing,
( mainly did the fill in job Carl Worth set up in 2007 ),
so it is fully open source now.

Though the program is usable there are some things missing a.t.m. :
-no pathmath, so combining shapes, contour tool and bevel tool won't
work.
-conical, three- and four point, fractal colorpattens/transparency
patterns don't work
-probably ( surely ) some more things...

Here's a jpg witch shows the possiblilities a.t.m.
http://www.imagebam.com/image/0decca79882873

You can get the source with :
git clone git://repo.or.cz/xara-cairo.git

It will compile with wx-windows 2.8 ( which is configured with utf8
support ) on the linux platform.
( wx-windows 2.6 might also work, i didn't try... )

I named it xara-cairo for now.

Sylfurd

May 21, 2010, 11:22:02 AM5/21/10
to The XaraLX Development Group
Seems pretty cool, but I can't figure how to compile it !
./configure doesn't exist

Can you add some compilation instructions and/or edit the INSTALL
file ?

Sorry for the noob's question !

Thanks.

Renaud.

On May 21, 5:09 pm, Gemini <geminiguy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an excerpt from a post from a member at LGU, by the name of
> Worker22.
> He has been working on porting Cairo to XaraLX and seems has made some
> awesome progress!!!
>
> Hi there...
>
> It took me some time but i have some code to share now.
> I just posted this to the cairo mailing list :
>
> ################
> I did some work to make xaralx use the cairo lib. for all drawing,
> ( mainly did the fill in job Carl Worth set up in 2007 ),
> so it is fully open source now.
>
> Though the program is usable there are some things missing a.t.m. :
> -no pathmath, so combining shapes, contour tool and bevel tool won't
> work.
> -conical, three- and four point, fractal colorpattens/transparency
> patterns don't work
> -probably ( surely ) some more things...
>
> Here's a jpg witch shows the possiblilities a.t.m.http://www.imagebam.com/image/0decca79882873

Gemini

May 21, 2010, 11:37:41 AM5/21/10
to The XaraLX Development Group
I'm sure we're gonna need someone who is good with documentation for
this.
Getting to that task early on is going to be very important.
Anyone that can think of anyone who is really good at putting
documentation together in laymans terms for the general public?
And, should this go far enough, a bug-tracker will be needed as well

cashmir

May 21, 2010, 11:50:24 AM5/21/10
to the-xaralx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Sylfurd wrote:
> Seems pretty cool, but I can't figure how to compile it !
> ./configure doesn't exist
>
> Can you add some compilation instructions and/or edit the INSTALL
> file ?
>
> Sorry for the noob's question !
>
> Thanks.
>
> Renaud.

Hi Renaud and all,

You can run "./autogen.sh" in the root directory.
That will create the 'configure' script.

cheers,
Ed.

Sylfurd

May 21, 2010, 1:06:41 PM5/21/10
to The XaraLX Development Group
Thanks, it works pretty fine !

As announced some features are buggy but it's promising :) And
performances are excellent !

P.S: I had an issue during compilation, the "find_if" function was not
found, I had to add #include <algorithm> in the bitmapgriddropdown.cpp
file.

cheers,

Renaud.

cashmir

May 21, 2010, 3:23:56 PM5/21/10
Sylfurd wrote:
> Thanks, it works pretty fine !
>
> As announced some features are buggy but it's promising :) And
> performances are excellent !
>
> P.S: I had an issue during compilation, the "find_if" function was not
> found, I had to add #include <algorithm> in the bitmapgriddropdown.cpp
> file.
>
> cheers,
>
> Renaud.

thanks,

It's a little bit slower than with the GDraw lib. but still fast enough,
very well usable for normal work. And cairo is getting better all the time.

I added the include to bitmapgriddropdown.cpp.

Might be needed on some distros.

Tom Wright

May 22, 2010, 6:09:56 AM5/22/10
to the-xaralx-dev...@googlegroups.com
This is great - now we can finally start moving towards a release.

I would be able to do at least some of the documentation work myself and restart work on the code once my exams are over.
--
Thanks,
Tom Wright

Matthias Schönfeld

Jun 28, 2010, 9:04:06 AM6/28/10
to the-xaralx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Renaud,

both links (example-picture and git) works for me (tested at Mon, 28 Jun
2010 15:00 +0200 (CEST))

Or did you mean something else?

Matthias

Sylfurd schrieb am 28.06.2010 12:09:
> Hi !
>
> The link disappeared ? Will it be back ?
>
> Renaud.
>

> On May 21, 5:09 pm, Gemini<geminiguy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> This is an excerpt from a post from a member at LGU, by the name of
>> Worker22.
>> He has been working on porting Cairo to XaraLX and seems has made some
>> awesome progress!!!
>>
>> Hi there...
>>
>> It took me some time but i have some code to share now.
>> I just posted this to the cairo mailing list :
>>
>> ################
>> I did some work to make xaralx use the cairo lib. for all drawing,
>> ( mainly did the fill in job Carl Worth set up in 2007 ),
>> so it is fully open source now.
>>
>> Though the program is usable there are some things missing a.t.m. :
>> -no pathmath, so combining shapes, contour tool and bevel tool won't
>> work.
>> -conical, three- and four point, fractal colorpattens/transparency
>> patterns don't work
>> -probably ( surely ) some more things...
>>

>> Here's a jpg witch shows the possiblilities a.t.m.http://www.imagebam.com/image/0decca79882873

Sylfurd

Jun 28, 2010, 12:24:19 PM6/28/10
to The XaraLX Development Group
Yes I figured it, i deleted my post, i just wasn't awake this
morning ...

Thank you anyway !

Renaud.

On Jun 28, 3:04 pm, Matthias Schönfeld <mat...@users.sourceforge.net>

Paul LeBlanc aka Gemini

Jul 10, 2010, 3:25:14 PM7/10/10
to The XaraLX Development Group
I think we're a ways off from a release though Tom haha ;-]
but... at least we have some nice progress...

On May 22, 6:09 am, Tom Wright <tom....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> This is great - now we can finally start moving towards a release.
>
> I would be able to do at least some of the documentation work myself and
> restart work on the code once my exams are over.
>
> On 21 May 2010 20:23, cashmir <cash...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

> > Sylfurd wrote:
>
> >> Thanks, it works pretty fine !
>
> >> As announced some features are buggy but it's promising :) And
> >> performances are excellent !
>
> >> P.S: I had an issue during compilation, the "find_if" function was not
> >> found, I had to add #include <algorithm> in the bitmapgriddropdown.cpp
> >> file.
>
> >> cheers,
>
> >> Renaud.
>
> > thanks,
>
> > It's a little bit slower than with the GDraw lib. but still fast enough,
> > very well usable for normal work. And cairo is getting better all the time.
>
> > I added the include to bitmapgriddropdown.cpp.
>
> > Might be needed on some distros.
>
> > cheers,
> > Ed.
>
> > --
> > .

twright

Jul 10, 2010, 6:45:30 PM7/10/10
to The XaraLX Development Group
Well, we did get quite close to one on Xarino

Btw. Now the summer holidays have started I will see if I can get some
coding done.

On Jul 10, 8:25 pm, Paul LeBlanc aka Gemini <geminiguy...@gmail.com>

Tom Wright

Jul 11, 2010, 9:04:57 PM7/11/10
to the-xaralx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Most of the work done with Xarino was updating the dependencies and bug fixes - we planned to release (a 0.x release) as soon as it was stable but with time constraints and the enormity of the code base, we never quite got there (some stuff might not have been finished / committed). You can see some info about our roadmap on the google code page.

For the export, I would think that Cairo will probably be the best solution as it will require little  ongoing maintenance.

2010/7/11 Matthias Schönfeld <mat...@users.sourceforge.net>
That's good news.

Some time ago I checked out the xarino source.

At first glance I couldn't find significant differences between xarino and latest xaralx except that xarino-rep didn't include the cdraw library. This impression was confirmed by a look at Commited Changes. Latest revision seems to be r20 from Jan 25, 2009.

So maybe someone can tell, if the project-source-repository is up to date and if there are changes/improvements which has not been commited so far.

Some time ago I stumbled about a diff from debian, which includes as I rembember right some (incomplete) language files.
Maybe it is a good idea to include these into xarino.

Whenever time allows I'm into investigating about file export, specially svg. But time is rare.  At the moment I'm evaluating different solutions. Cairo is one of them. But when using cairo svg some control (e. g. layer) will be lost. So far only some experimental code exist, nothing to share yet.

--
Thanks,
Tom Wright