Dan Roentsch's "Brief Note on Eros"

Dan Roentsch

Apr 6, 2009, 6:56:29 AM4/6/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
Discuss this essay.

ron....@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2009, 5:53:09 PM4/10/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
Reactions of the conventionally minded among us to spoken and written
manifestations of Eros can sometimes be pretty funny. My mother, who
was in her early eighties at the time, read several of the stories in
The Velveeta Underground, and later told one of my cousins: "My
husband and I never did any of those disgusting things."

On Apr 6, 3:56 am, Dan Roentsch <dan.roent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Discuss this essay.

Dan

Apr 10, 2009, 6:29:33 PM4/10/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
That's a great story Ron. Personally? I never do disgusting things.
Sacraments, walking on the beach, doing the crossword puzzle in bed,
watching ESPN when a perfectly good woman is dry and just standing
there. (Actually, any watching of ESPN is disgusting, but
particularly so in the prior context.)

By the way, for everyone else, The Velveeta Underground, referenced by
Ron above, is a collection of his short fiction works published by the
Erotic Authors Association's Signature Series. (Unfortunately that
series was discontinued with the departure of the gorgeous and
prolific Marilyn Jaye Lewis. (http://www.marilynjayelewis.com/)

However, "Velveeta" may well have another incarnation -- and the
sooner the better, I say.

Dan

Dan

Apr 10, 2009, 6:32:37 PM4/10/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
In Re: marilyn, I should have said "gorgeous prolific, and extremely
talented." If I"m not mistaken her new novel, Freak Parade, is due
out soon.

dan

Marilyn Jaye Lewis

Apr 13, 2009, 11:10:43 AM4/13/09
to the-view-from-ou...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dan. You flatter me! (and flattery, sadly enough, will get you
*everywhere*with me).

No, it's not "Freak Parade" time yet -- another one is on the front burner
right now, Twilight of the Immortal
Marilyn

Dan

Apr 13, 2009, 11:42:45 AM4/13/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
Sadly? Sounds like a bargain to me.

Thanks for the information on Twilight of the Immortals, Marilyn. I
am writing brief synopses of the work of the writers in this group,
and endeavor as most times to be correct.

On Apr 13, 11:10 am, "Marilyn Jaye Lewis" <mjay...@sbcglobal.net>

Dan

Apr 13, 2009, 1:11:16 PM4/13/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
Yeah. Twilight of the *Immortal.* I have to write 1st drafts of
*everything*!

Marilyn Lewis

Apr 13, 2009, 1:13:50 PM4/13/09
to the-view-from-ou...@googlegroups.com
i thought maybe you were just being prescient since technically there is more than one "immortal" in the book...

Dan

Apr 18, 2009, 8:17:06 PM4/18/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
A reader of "Eros" just informed me that I have probably never met a
real woman.

I'm always interested in knowing what a person's definition of "real
woman" is.

Peter

Apr 20, 2009, 8:24:02 PM4/20/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
I enjoyed your essay!

Questions: What does the word "spiritual" mean to you? Are animals
not spiritual, or are they less spiritual than humans, or more?

Nitpick: That dude on a stick was more crucified than "impaled."

Sympathetic vibration: Christianity was from the beginning,
essentially and fundamentally, life's nausea and disgust with life,
merely concealed behind, masked by, dressed up as, faith in "another"
or "better" life. Hatred of "the world," condemnations of the
passions, fear of beauty and sensuality, a beyond invented the better
to slander this life, at bottom a craving for the nothing, for the
end, for respite, for "the sabbath of sabbaths"-- all this always
struck me, no less than the unconditional will of Christianity to
recognize only moral values, as the most dangerous and uncanny form of
all possible forms of a "will to decline"-- at the very least a sign
of abysmal sickness, weariness, discouragement, exhaustion, and the
impoverishment of life. - Nietzche (The Birth of Tragedy; 1886)

Dan

Apr 20, 2009, 9:18:35 PM4/20/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
That's a great sympathetic vibration, Pete. Thanks for adding it.
One of the strangest jokes about life in the era we live in is that
you are a permanent outsider for *not* subscribing to one of the most
bizarre cults conceivable.

What I mean by "spirit." I mean "consciousness," but in the context
of this essay I specifically mean "self-aware consciousness" which may
be only human. I sense that asserting it as "only human" will lead us
into a more scientific than philosophical discussion of which other
animals may be self-aware, and I'm not prepared to do that.

The reason I use the word "spirit" rather than consciousness is so
that there will be no doubt that I am including in the definition all
of the attributes commonly associated with spirit. Including the
romantic "I-am-one-and-unique" sense. So, whatever you're calling
spiritual, I'm saying that among humans potentially the most profound
connection is erotic passion.

As for impalement. Good point. I always thought of crucifixion as a
form of impalement. Good one.

Marilyn Jaye Lewis

Apr 21, 2009, 8:10:59 AM4/21/09
to the-view-from-ou...@googlegroups.com
Wow, okay. I have been so fucking fried from the last deadline, that I
finely (or finally) figured out that there was more "stuff" to read besides
the email postings. I had lost track of the fact that there was a web
site... I found the "Brief Note on Eros."

Of course, I heartily concur & I love how you expressed it!

I particularly marvel at your summing up of Story of O, by far the most
influential book I read as a girl -- it is what inspired me to undertake my
entire career. However, I never really saw it the way you describe it, but
your description is so apt! What a neat way of looking at it. (I had only
seen it in terms of how expertly the writer-by-way-of-English-translator had
captured the Eros of the sex act with written words & created a whole
distinct sexual world for the mind.)

Re: the spiritual/religious/Eros stuff -- I was lucky to have been the one
in my family to undertake the "mentally unstable/ill" dynamic and while I
don't really recommend it, it certainly gave my mind a lot of leeway.
Meaning I got to think however I wanted to about sex/god /spirit and even
though I was institutionalized for thinking the way I did, at least they
kind of "left me alone" and chalked up my entire existence to being "just
nuts." Which is a nice way to fly under the radar for a girl in our culture.
Not so nice for a grown woman, though, which was why I had to commit making
a career out of it.

Apr 21, 2009, 8:37:45 PM4/21/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
Hey Marilyn, there so many people are trying to beat their way into
the mainstream and you're grateful you got to fly under the radar
using mental instability as a cover!

Such barbarism, but such a good attitude about it. I can see my copy
of Neptune & Surf from where I'm sitting, and I'm pretty glad you
embraced the profession you did, but I'd still like to step into a
time machine and cuff a few people around on your behalf. Not because
I am an altruist (shudder), but because I would certainly take
personal pleasure in it.

By the way, my favorite picture of you on your site is this one:
http://www.marilynjayelewis.com/html/thirteen.html

Particularly coupled with the caption, "This says it all, doesn't it?"

On Apr 21, 8:10 am, "Marilyn Jaye Lewis" <mjay...@sbcglobal.net>