A Poem

Ron Bass

Sep 27, 2009, 9:28:30 PM9/27/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
Writ this evening in my head while out walking and transcribed when I
arrived home. It's the structural underpinning for a sci-fi story....

Hacking Into The Bardos

I know precisely when I will die in my next lifetime –
Seven weeks prior to being born in this lifetime. (But once
in that lifetime this knowledge will have disappeared.)
The unanswered question is where I will be born. And this
won’t be decided until I am in the inter-incarnational
states described in The Tibetan Book of the Dead.

I know some of the more distant points in my itinerary –
19th century Paris, 18th century London, 17th century Holland
(specific cities are still under consideration), 14th to 16th century
Italy
(in various locations). After that I head to the East.
But the next lifetime is a tricky business,
knowing what we do about historical developments in
the first half of the last century. Still, it is hard to imagine not
spending time in Zurich, Berlin. Paris, and New York.
But where to originate? Sprechen Sie Deutsche?

The other factor that needs to be taken into consideration is
the availability of suitable “possibilities” in the selected geo.
This can never be pre-determined.

Dan

Sep 27, 2009, 10:56:55 PM9/27/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
I notice you don't put Madison Wisconsin, or Paris Texas, or
Binghamton New York on your itinerary.

What up with that?

Ron Bass

Sep 28, 2009, 3:52:27 PM9/28/09
to The View From Outside Discussion
Marilyn: Thank you!

Dan: The protagonist is on an extended tour in which he is studying
the history of visual art on this planet. To that end, visiting
Madison, WI, Paris, TX (now Marfa, TX might be worth a visit!), and
Binghamton, NY would be a conspicuous waste of time.