Ontario Breed Bird Atlas

Jason Miller

Apr 15, 2021, 2:39:31 PM4/15/21
to the-p...@googlegroups.com
Hello Pipits. I'd like to share this message that I wrote for the Niagara Breeding Bird Atlas Facebook group. I don't represent the Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas, just a participant. I don;t know how many Pipits members are planning to participate in the Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2021-2025 (OBBA) but encourage all members to look into participating regardless of their birding experience. Entering atlas data can be as simple as reporting the robin singing in your yard or the pair of mallards you observed on a walk by the pond. The OBBA Instruction Manual states " Any careful observer with an interest in birds can participate! We simply ask that people only submit records for which they are certain of identification. If in doubt, leave it out!" To learn more about the OBBA check out https://www.birdsontario.org/. I'm happy to help anyone to get started with the OBBA as well

Although originally written for the Niagara region. the information below applies to the bulk of Southern Ontario

Original post:

Today marks a milestone of sorts for the breeding season as several species move into their "Safe Dates" in the Niagara Region (technically the mixedwood plains ecoregion). It is now safe to assume any of these common birds are present as breeding birds and not as migrants, and the X (present but not in suitable habitat), H (in suitable habitat), S (singing in suitable habitat), M (multiple singing in suitable habitat) and P (pair in suitable habitat) codes can now be used for the following species (starting April 15 unless stated):
  • Wild Turkey
  • Killdeer
  • Ringed-bill Gull
  • Red-Tailed Hawk
  • American Crow
  • Black-capped Chickadee (April 16)
  • American Robin
  • European Starling
  • House Sparrow (April 14)
  • House Finch
  • Northern Cardinal
(note: several rarer birds also join this list including a few owl species for example)

Those birds join some of the earlier breeders such as:
  • Rock Pigeon (Jan 1st)
  • Mourning Dove (March 15)
  • Common Raven (March 15)
  • American Woodcock (April 10)
What does this mean? Any of the above species can be reported on your checklists, either as X (not in suitable habitat) or as H, S, M, or P. Technically those codes should not have been used for the above species prior to the Safe Date. Of course, the higher levels of breeding evidence - particularly confirmed evidence such as nest building, can be used outside the safe dates.

An example, lets say today I heard a Carolina Wren singing, saw a male Red-winged Blackbird, saw Common Grackle building a nest and heard Northern Cardinal singing (all in suitable habitat) and a Ringed-bill Gull not in habitat. I would enter the following in my checklist:
  • Carolina Wren - leave blank (not in the Safe Dates, starts April 20)
  • Red-winged Blackbird - leave blank (not in the Safe Dates, starts May 14)
  • Common Grackle - NB (not in the safe dates, starts May 10, but nesting is confirmed so it is acceptable evidence on that early date)
  • Northern Cardinal - H (within the Safe Dates and in suitable habitat)
Ringed-bill Gull - X (within the Safe Dates but not in suitable habitat)

Hope that helps. It's very tempting to use the H and S codes too early, and for that reason I had to go back and change a bunch of my records from last week. From my walk this morning I can say that red-winged blackbirds and grackles are definitely still migrating, even though some are already nesting.
Have questions about the safe dates? please feel free to ask here or contact your Regional Coordinator.