RE: [The Pipits] Great egret - "sparrow"

Elspeth Bradley

Apr 14, 2021, 1:03:54 PM4/14/21
to Terri Bocz, Cody Bassindale, Chris Cheatle, Mary Ellen Starodub, Joanne Redwood, Angelique Mori, George Naylor, The Pipits

Can anyone assist in identifying this “sparrow”?

Thanks

Elspeth

Apr 14, 2021, 1:05:50 PM4/14/21
to Elspeth Bradley, The Pipits
Hi Elspeth,

This little little guy is a Song Sparrow. You can see the breast dot and streaking along the belly. Not to mention the reddish upper parts.

Elspeth Bradley

Apr 14, 2021, 1:20:04 PM4/14/21
to Cody Bassindale, The Pipits

Thanks Cody,

The breast dot /brown marking seemed to me to be more lateral than central – and the sparrow was not singing (I guess you can’t sing with your mouth full!)

- good to have your confirmation –  many thanks

Elspeth

Apr 14, 2021, 1:22:38 PM4/14/21
to Cody Bassindale, Elspeth Bradley, The Pipits
So, song sparrows can have a bicoloured bill, too? ... if I’m seeing it right?
Cheers,
Angelique

Apr 14, 2021, 1:26:05 PM4/14/21
to Angelique Mori, Elspeth Bradley, The Pipits
They can be variable. If you look at Sibleys they display it as darker above and slightly lighter below.

Elspeth Bradley

Apr 14, 2021, 1:33:59 PM4/14/21
to Cody Bassindale, Angelique Mori, The Pipits

So two lateral brown spots as well as a central spot?

Apr 14, 2021, 1:40:00 PM4/14/21
to Elspeth Bradley, The Pipits
Hi Elspeth,

This is a snipit from the Sibley App. As you can see the chest spot is typical and these could just the the angle or again variability in plumage. You can see the white throat is bordered by two brown stripes just below the malar of the bird. These are the "spots" that are showing on your bird.
Screenshot_20210414-133626_Sibley Birds v2.jpg

Angelique Mori

Apr 14, 2021, 1:52:17 PM4/14/21
to Cody Bassindale, Elspeth Bradley, The Pipits
Glasses currently busted, can’t read anything right now unless it can be enlarged on a screen🤣fun times. Will check Sibleys, ASAP, as curiosity niggles.

Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2021 1:39:46 PM

To: Elspeth Bradley <e.br...@utoronto.ca>
Cc: The Pipits <the-p...@googlegroups.com>