Fwd: So much to discover this spring!

Sandra

Apr 15, 2021, 8:04:02 PM4/15/21
to Pipits Group
FYI
More virtual birding opportunities for the spring are available.
I am on this mailing list from Justin Peter from Quest Nature Tours (I have travelled with them previously), so with no one travelling they are supporting birding and nature.
Events described below.

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Fwd: So much to discover this spring!
From: Justin at Quest Nature Tours <tra...@worldwidequest.com>

Webinars, IG Live, books, and more
  Call 1-800-387-1483 or email us
Quest Nature Tours
Browse All Destinations    Browse All Destinations    Browse All Destinations
Notes from the Field
Greetings, Explorers!

I hope you’ve seen signs of spring’s renewal. Our office patch of the ephemeral Bloodroot was just in bloom (pictured above) and our Eastern Redbud tree is budding! I was looking forward to meeting many of you at Point Pelee National Park for the annual Festival of Birds. Instead we’ll be participating in the virtual Festival of Birds – I’m excited to be presenting two sessions next month.

While we may have to remain closer to home for now , there is still much to enjoy and discover. We are proud to support the Toronto Bird Celebration, spearheaded by Birds Canada’s Urban Bird Program and featuring various entertaining and informative events. Quest Nature Tours is sponsoring the session, “How to Be an Urban Birder” with David Lindo. Plus, we’re organizing events for our friends at Ontario Nature and the Huron Fringe Birding Festival. Please see below for details on all these events!

On a related note, some of you may have participated in our first ever Instagram Live Updates from the Field event on Sunday. I met up virtually with tour leader Catherine Jardine, who regaled us with the sights and the science of shorebirds swirling above the tidal mudflats at Boundary Bay on the coast of British Columbia. If you missed it, check out the link to the video below!

The spring season will progress quickly as it usually does. I wish you the greatest enjoyment, and we hope to see at one of our virtual events. If you make any neat sightings close to your home, please send me a picture and story.

Justin Peter

Festival of Birds, Scarlet Tanager
During the annual spring migration we enjoy taking part in the Festival of Birds at Point Pelee National Park. This year the festival is virtual and Quest is leading two (free) events:

Birding by Ear with Justin Peter
Wednesday, May 5 at 7:30 PM ET  |  Register here

Intro to Gull ID with Justin Peter
Thursday, May 13 at 7:30 PM ET  |  Register here

We encourage you to bird in your local area this year and to spot as many birds as you can in your own backyard, from your balcony or in your neighbourhood!

Toronto Bird Celebration logo, warbler
Toronto Bird Celebration
Live Interviews with Justin and Guests
1. Justin speaks with Jonathan Meiburg, author of the newly released A Most Remarkable Creature. Click here.

2. Can we predict when is the best time to head to our local woodlot or park to look at birds? Justin hosts avid bird forecaster Brandon Holden as he tells us about weather and birds, and how you might plan your schedule for the highest impact bird experience during spring migration. Click here.

VIEW ALL TBC EVENTS

urban birder david lindo
Have you tried urban birding?
There are lots of birds in urban areas and they can add a lot of enjoyment to our daily lives. Join “The Urban Birder” David Lindo as he tells us how you too can be an urban birder! Quest Nature Tours is proud to be sponsoring this event as part of the Toronto Bird Celebration.

Thursday, May 20 at 12:00 noon ET

REGISTER NOW

American Redstart
Spring Birding and the Upcoming Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas
 A Webinar with Ontario Nature
During this one-hour session with Mike Cadman, you’ll learn about spring birding in Ontario, what Ontario’s Breeding Bird Atlases tell us about birds in our province, and how you can get involved.

Tuesday, April 20 at 12:00 noon ET

REGISTER NOW

HFBF
Huron Fringe Birding Festival
Virtual-Lite
This year, in partnership with the Friends of MacGregor Point Park, we are proud to bring you a chance to discover this region and other parts of Ontario from the comfort of your home and increase your birding skills too. The full list of evening webinars can be found in last week's e-newsletter:

VIEW THE LIST

IG live with Dunlins
We're live in the field on Instagram!
Catch up on Sunday's + more to come
On Sunday we joined Catherine Jardine as  Dunlins congregated to feed on the vast tidal mudflats, plus a large raptor guest! Watch it on YouTube (30 min.)

Wednesday, April 21 at 12:00 noon ET we join Gabriel Foley for some field time in Maryland as Gabriel completes work for the Maryland Breeding Bird Atlas.

Tuesday, April 27 at 12:00 noon ET we join Alexandra Anaviapik as she shows us how spring is progressing in Pond Inlet near the top of Baffin Island.

GO TO INSTAGRAM

Feed the Birds with Chris Earley
A Superb New Resource for Improving Your Feeder-watching Experience
Justin reviews Feed the Birds
While at first glance it may appear to be a simple how-to guide, this book written by Chris Earley is much more. Once a childhood feeder-watcher himself, Chris sets out to convey the merits of feeder-watching through the opportunity to study birds, while providing the practical information that interested newbies need to move their interest forward.

READ JUSTIN'S REVIEW

Worldwide Quest Logo   Worldwide Quest International,
491 King St. E., Toronto, ON M5A 1L9
416-633-5666 | 1-800-387-1483 |
tra...@worldwidequest.com
www.worldwidequest.com
TICO Reg: #2667946
https://launchbox-emailservices.ca/mail/t.aspx?S=101&ID=13503&NL=207&N=17447&SI=1988297&URL=   https://launchbox-emailservices.ca/mail/t.aspx?S=101&ID=13503&NL=207&N=17447&SI=1988297&URL=   https://launchbox-emailservices.ca/mail/t.aspx?S=101&ID=13503&NL=207&N=17447&SI=1988297&URL=