The Pipits: Various lake locations, with David Brewer

Colleen Reilly

Nov 16, 2021, 10:36:01 AM11/16/21
to The Pipits, David Brewer
Hello Pipits!

This Sunday we will tag along on an outing with David Brewer and the Guelph Field Naturalists, to look for ducks along the Hamilton area waterfront.

We will start at LaSalle Marina, move to the Centre for Inland Waters, Windermere Basin, Gray's and Green's Roads in Hamilton, and the Burlington ship canal at the lift bridge.

I suggest that folks bring a scope as waterfowl tend to be out pretty far on the lake. I will have a scope to share for those who don't have their own.

Dress for cold, the lakeshore tends to be blustery and it seems winter temperatures are settling in.

Folks may also want to consider carpooling. We will be at LaSalle Marina parking lot for 9am, and David's group will arrive sometime between 9 and 9:30, so you will have time upon arrival to sort out carpooling arrangements with each other.

David suggested that we will likely finish around noon or so.

To register for this outing, please go here:

About David (taken from the OFO Distinguished Ornithologist award website, which David was awarded in 2011):

David Brewer began birding about the age of 12 in England. He obtained his first bird banding permit from the British Trust for Ornithology at age 17 and has held a Canadian banding permit since 1971. He became an authority on molts, plumages and identification.

David was a founding life member of OFO in 1982. He also was a founding member of the Ontario Bird Records Committee 1982 to 1985, served as Chair in 1985, and was a voting member again from 1996 to 1998. David has published many articles, letters and book reviews in Ontario Birds and OFO News. He presented a popular bird quiz at OFO Annual Conventions for several years.

He participated in both Breeding Bird Atlases and wrote the species accounts for House Wren, Winter Wren and Sedge Wren in the second atlas. David authored The Birds of Wellington County in 1976 and co-authored with artist Barry MacKay A Guide to the Wrens, Dippers and Thrashers of the World in 2001.

David retired recently as a research chemist in Guelph. He now spends his time birding and leading trips throughout the world.

To register for this outing, you MUST have sent me your vaccination certificate showing that you have received 2 COVID vaccinations. To submit your certificate go here: https://forms.gle/pWatfUign7zXT7Fu6

Please only register if you have had two COVID vaccinations, and sent me proof of this. Please remember to bring your MASK for those times when we have to be in close proximity.

Hope to see you there! Colleen