The Pipits: Taquanyah CA, with Rob Porter; Report

Colleen Reilly

Nov 18, 2021, 3:53:26 PM11/18/21
to The Pipits, Rob Porter
Hello Pipits!

It's already Thursday and I am FINALLY getting my outing report to you. Apologies for the delay!

Well, who can remember what Sunday was like anymore?? It's all a blur. But I do remember. It was very cold, wet, and muddy. There was even snow. Very Novembery weather I suppose. I want to say Kudos to everyone who came out and stuck it out... by the end of it my socks were soaked inside my "waterproof" boots, my double layer mitts with gloves inside were also soaked. It was not an outing for the faint of heart - you guys ROCK. Thanks for the inspiration.

Our guest leader this week was Rob Porter, and he gave us a good workout! We covered about 6km on this outing - Rob - this is not our norm. Awesome job! And thanks for selecting this location, I know I for one will definitely return. It was beautiful, and had such a variety of habitats. Wonderful!

Rob creates delightful podcasts about birding, to learn more, please go here: https://songbirding.com/

As always, the photos are being shared from a Google photo album. George and Dave contributed photos also, these have their names in the file names. To see the bird ID click on the photo, then look for the little "i" in the upper right of the photo, click on that and look for the file name in the information that appears. ID's are in the file name.

Taquanyah CA, Haldimand, Ontario, CA
Nov 14, 2021 8:18 AM - 11:42 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.77 kilometer(s)
24 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  35
Gadwall (Mareca strepera)  2
American Wigeon (Mareca americana)  1
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  60
Northern Pintail (Anas acuta)  1
duck sp. (Anatinae sp.)  7
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)  1
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  1
American Coot (Fulica americana)  1
gull sp. (Larinae sp.)  4
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  2
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  2
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  4
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  7
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)  1
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  5
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  1
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  9
American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)  4     H
Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca)  1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  7
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S97570895

Good birding everyone!

Colleen