Common Raven Carrying Food!

George Naylor

Apr 12, 2021, 2:36:41 PM4/12/21
to Hambirders, HSA Nature Notes, The Pipits
I was sitting in the car at Zehrs in Caledonia while Rhondda was picking up some birthday things for her son.  I was parked facing west, and on the west side of Argyle, there is a strip mall with a Rexall at the south end.  I noticed a large black bird flying low from the west, just as it flared up and then dropped onto the roof of the drugstore.  Ten seconds or so later, the bird took off, flying south with something fairly large and grey-toned in its talons.  It was obviously a Raven, and it was carrying either a squirrel or a pigeon as it flew away.  Carrying food to a nest?  I saw a pair flying together S. of 6th Line a few weeks ago, so more evidence of a nest nearby?

George