The Pipits: Sunday October 10 2021, Dundurn Castle, Hamilton, and Hamilton Cemetery; with Barry Coombs

Colleen Reilly

Oct 4, 2021, 10:12:33 AM10/4/21
to The Pipits, Barry Coombs
Hello Pipits!

Writing the subject line above, I almost fell off my chair. October 10th??? Time is flying! Thank goodness I'm passing the time with you folks!

This coming Sunday we have the fabulous Barry Coombs as our guest leader!

Barry Coombs is a visual artist and avid birder who resides in Hamilton, Ontario. He’s been birding for twenty years or so. He’s led outings for the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club, the Ontario Field Ornithologists and the Toronto Ornithological Club. As much as he enjoys a good twitch, he receives a special satisfaction from the many Fall, Christmas and Point Counts he has joined over the years. Also, he participates in two RBG birding programs, the Long Watch survey and Not Just A Birding Club.

Barry is also co-chair of the Bird Friendly Hamilton Burlington team. Bird Friendly Cities is a Nature Canada project and our team’s goal is to certify Hamilton and Burlington as Bird Friendly. For more information on this, please touch base with Barry at: barryf...@gmail.com

We will meet at 8am, at the parking lot at Dundurn Castle. We'll bird the Castle grounds, and then as time permits, work our way over to Hamilton Cemetery. It's still migration season, so it could be a birdy morning!

To register for this outing, you MUST have sent me your vaccination certificate showing that you have received 2 COVID vaccinations. To submit your certificate go here: https://forms.gle/pWatfUign7zXT7Fu6

Go here to register: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040F45AEAE2BA6FF2-october1

-----
COVID amendment:
Pipits, unfortunately, we are still dealing with the pandemic. Please ONLY ATTEND if you have sent me proof of your COVID vaccination status. Please bring a mask and plan to wear it if we are in close physical proximity, as can happen when we are all trying to see a bird through a narrow window of leaves...

Please know that I am doing this to try to maintain the safety of everyone attending, that I care about you all, and want to make sure that risks are minimized as much as possible.

I would ask that everyone who attends on Sunday complete this self-assessment in the morning of the event. https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/

Please pay attention to yourselves in the morning before attending, do the self assessment, and if you have any symptoms of COVID please do NOT attend the outing. Please email me at collee...@gmail.com or text me at 289.795.6537 if you are registered but not able to attend at the last minute. When you arrive for the outing, if I think you show symptoms of COVID-19 I will ask you to leave. Not to be rude, rather, I just want to maintain a safe and comfortable atmosphere for everyone present.

Everyone coming out on Sunday must be aware that there is a risk of coming into contact with someone who may unknowingly carry COVID-19 virus. Please be aware of this risk, I am trying to be proactive by asking everyone to wear their mask through the entire outing, carry hand sanitizer, not share anything, try to physically distance as much as possible, and please, STAY HOME if you are experiencing ANY symptoms of illness.

-----

Hope to see you there!

Colleen

Colleen Reilly

Oct 11, 2021, 9:33:06 PM10/11/21
to The Pipits, James Lees
Hello Pipits!

This coming Sunday we will go to the Dundas Valley Conservation Area, with guest leader, James Lees.

James Lees has been fascinated by nature ever since he could walk!  He has been working in bird conservation for over 24 years both in the UK and here in Canada.

James worked for the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust in the UK where he managed a nature reserve for millions of water birds, much of his job was nature interpretation, land management as well as bird surveys etc. He also lead wildlife watching tours around the world fore Naturetrek holidays for ten years traveling to many different countries from Madagascar to Mexico.

James has worked for the Hamilton Conservation Authority for five years and is the Conservation Manager for the  Dundas Valley Conservation Area. James is never happier than when he is out birding and sharing his knowledge with a group.

We will meet at 8am, at the Dundas Valley Conservation Area: 800 Mineral Springs Road, Ancaster, L9G 4X1

To register for this outing, you MUST have sent me your vaccination certificate showing that you have received 2 COVID vaccinations. To submit your certificate go here: https://forms.gle/pWatfUign7zXT7Fu6

Colleen Reilly

Oct 14, 2021, 6:18:04 PM10/14/21
to The Pipits, James Lees
Just a heads up everyone - there is a charge of $11 to park at the DVCA where we are meeting James Lees. I imagine you pay at a machine so bring your credit cards... unless you have a Hamilton Conservation Area pass.

Colleen Reilly

Oct 16, 2021, 8:48:25 PM10/16/21
to The Pipits, James Lees
Folks I hope you get this before our outing tomorrow. Park at the "P" on this image from Google maps.

Rather than meeting at the red marker, please stay in the parking lot. We'll meet James at the Workshop which is also in the parking lot.

I've never been here before, good luck everyone, I hope we all arrive at the right spot!
image.png