The Pipits: Alan Wormington Fall Bird Count, Rock Chapel, RBG

Colleen Reilly

Nov 8, 2021, 4:28:37 PM11/8/21
to The Pipits, Sandy Darling, Bill Lamond
Attending: Sonya Brons, David Archbell, Elspeth Bradley, Lisa Boyd, Angelique Mori, Amardeep Singh, Kathryn Crevier, Catherine Manschot, Debbie Garbe, Mara McHaffie, Doug Berry, George Coker, Kevin Empey, Andy Morgan, Leslie Mallow-Weir, Sandy Darling, Colleen Reilly

Sunday was a beautiful day for an outing. As always it was lovely to see everyone, and many thanks to Sandy Darling for leading the walk!

It felt decidedly unbirdy, but we did end up seeing quite a variety of birds after all. Highlights especially were a pair of Long Eared Owls tucked away in some trees, followed by several Fox Sparrows!

One bird we had hoped to see was a juvenile Red Headed Woodpecker. We didn't find this fellow that had been seen earlier in the week, but George Coker shared a photo he took at a different time and location of an adult with a juvenile. Here it is... and note the difference! Juveniles have dark heads!

DSC01430crop1.JPG

For outing photos please go to this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/X3UTRFZi9JdR2cjB7
To see the species ID, click on the image, then click on the little "i" in the upper right of the photo. Look for the file name. Enjoy!

Folks, I wish I could say I did the final tally and could tell you how many unique species we saw on Sunday, but I haven't yet. Feel free to run through the following lists and let us know what the total is for the day!

Hamilton--Royal Botanical Gardens (Rock Chapel), Hamilton, Ontario, CA
Nov 7, 2021 8:00 AM - 10:09 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.4 kilometer(s)
Checklist Comments:     Pipit outing, Alan Wormington Fall Bird Count. Sandy Darling leading.
26 species (+2 other taxa)

duck sp. (Anatinae sp.)  30     Far out in Cootes
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  3
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  3
gull sp. (Larinae sp.)  150     Conservative number of gulls on roof top in valley
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  3
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  2
Long-eared Owl (Asio otus)  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens)  1
Hairy Woodpecker (Dryobates villosus)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  3
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  12
Common Raven (Corvus corax)  1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  5
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa)  2
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)  2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  4
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  19
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  7
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  3
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  25
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  4
American Pipit (Anthus rubescens)  2
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)  1
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  5
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S97306377

Borer's Falls CA, Hamilton, Ontario, CA
Nov 7, 2021 10:09 AM - 11:28 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.04 kilometer(s)
Checklist Comments:     2nd half of pipit birding outing with Sandy Darling leading.
23 species

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  7
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  3
Hairy Woodpecker (Dryobates villosus)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  6
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  16
Common Raven (Corvus corax)  1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  3
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)  2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  2
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  1
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  41
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  5
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)  3
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  3
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla)  1
Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca)  2
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) (Junco hyemalis hyemalis/carolinensis)  4
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S97280156

Thanks everyone for coming out and making it such a fun morning!

Colleen