[The Non-Euclidean Blog] Korean War Veterans Recognition Act

1 view

NEB

Jul 29, 2009, 5:57:14 PM7/29/09
to the-non-euc...@googlegroups.com
Legislation: H.R. 2632 - The Korean War Veterans Recognition Act
Sponsor: Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-NY)
Introduced: May 21, 2009
Enacted: July 27, 2009

President Obama has enacted legislation to encourage the display of the American flag on July 27, National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day. This day of remembrance will be added to the current list of days on which the federal government encourages the display of the flag.

The legislation was sponsored by Charles Rangel, Democratic representative for nearly 40 years from New York City's 15th District. Rangel is a decorated veteran of the Korean War who served in the all-black 503rd Field Artillery Battalion. In November 1950, the massive Chinese army poured across the Korean border and plowed into the UN forces. As the allied front disintegrated and fell south, Rangel earned the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star with Valor for wounds sustained and bravery under attack during the frigid battle of Kunu-ri.

This is a nice gesture to our veterans of Korea—one of whom is my wife's grandfather—and to our South Korean allies. Coming at a time of high tension with North Korea, this otherwise insignificant bill sends a clear message: we haven't forgotten that our friendship with the south is sealed in our own blood. President Lee Myung-bak got the message loud and clear; hopefully Kim Jong-Il did as well.

--
Posted By NEB to The Non-Euclidean Blog at 7/29/2009 12:17:00 PM