[The Non-Euclidean Blog] Poles, Brits, and Country Music

NEB

Oct 9, 2009, 11:54:45 AM10/9/09
to the-non-euc...@googlegroups.com
The US House unanimously voted to grant honorary citizenship to Casimir Pulaski, the Polish general who fought alongside the Americans during the Revolutionary War. If the Senate likewise passes the resolution, and if Obama signs it, Pulaski will be just the seventh person ever to receive honorary US citizenship.

Why Pulaski? Why now? Well, could be Congress is trying to appease Poland and any Polish-Americans who are still upset and confused after Obama scrapped our Polish missile shield plans. Which Russia strongly opposed. On the 70th anniversary of the Soviet invasion of Poland.

I doubt granting citizenship to a dead Pole will fix that PR mess, but I'm sure the Democrats are hoping.

Meanwhile, it gives me great joy to see the House also pass a resolution that (1) honors country music; (2) mentions my favorite country artist, Garth Brooks; and (3) blames the British for country music's very existence. Yeehaw, old bean. Quite.

--
Posted By NEB to The Non-Euclidean Blog at 10/09/2009 08:54:00 AM