[The Non-Euclidean Blog] The Dangers of Being a Pastor

1 view

NEB

Jul 10, 2009, 9:44:33 AM7/10/09
to the-non-euc...@googlegroups.com
The expectations of the flock tend to be unrealistic. When people know your knowledge is great, they assume you can do anything. They expect you to be "spiritual" all the time without even a day off, and they have little tolerance for your mistakes and limitations. When you are a pastor, everyone wants a piece of you. They want you to be there for them, solving their own personal problems, and when you can't be, jealousies and anger start kicking in. Eventually, people who you can't help may start working against you. Elders, deacons and other people in power will resent your special skills and their own loss of control and will inevitably try to restrict you. Over time, being a pastor is like painting a big target on your back that everyone can shoot at.
I read this gem here. Except it's not about pastors, it's a guide to being a superhero--I just took some liberties in the editing. Isn't it funny, though, how sometimes the expectations for pastors and superheroes aren't that different?

--
Posted By NEB to The Non-Euclidean Blog at 7/10/2009 06:44:00 AM