The Network Austin Mixer - Wed Feb 9 @ 6 PM - Evan E. Fitzmaurice / Texas Film Commission

Gary L. Wimmer

Jan 27, 2011, 5:01:39 PM1/27/11
to the-network-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Film, Game, Music and Entertainment People, Friends, Investors and Fans,

WHAT: The Network Austin Mixer
WHEN: Wednesday February 9, 2011 @ 6 PM
WHERE: ND Venue - 501 Studios - http://ndvenue.com/location/
WHO: Everyone involved in film, theatre, game, TV, and entertainment media... and YOU!
GUEST SPEAKER:
Evan E. Fitzmaurice, Interim Director of the Texas Film Commission
http://www.governor.state.tx.us/FILM

On February 9, 2011, we are proud to have as our Guest Speaker Evan E. Fitzmaurice, Interim Director of the Texas Film Commission! During our short phone conversation, Mr. Fitzmaurice emphasized how much he wanted to personally meet people in this industry, shake our hands, and find out what’s on our minds concerning the industry. Folks, that is a mark of someone who is 100% dedicated! Some history --

Before joining the Film Commission, Evan E. Fitzmaurice practiced law in Los Angeles at the entertainment law firm of Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer Austen Mandelbaum Morris and Klein P.C. While representing the firm’s writer, director, actor and producer clients, Fitzmaurice focused on film, television and digital production company financings and related transactions.

Fitzmaurice practiced transactional law at the international firm of K&L Gates LLP in Los Angeles and Dallas, and in the Dallas office of Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell LLP. He is a member of the State bars of Texas and California, and a past member of the Beverly Hills and Dallas Bar associations.

Additionally, Fitzmaurice co-produced the 2007 independent documentary, “A Lawyer Walks Into a Bar,” which premiered at the 2007 South by Southwest Film Conference and Festival, won the Grand Jury Prize at the 2007 AFI Dallas International Film Festival, and appeared at several other film festivals.

A Dallas native, Fitzmaurice received a bachelor’s degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1993 and a law degree from the University of Texas School of Law in 1999.

We are very honored that Mr. Fitzmaurice has taken time to meet with us, so take advantage of this unique opportunity! Join us on Feb 9, meet Mr. Fitzmaurice, and hear what has to say about the industry in Texas, the Texas Film Incentive Package, what he faces, and his plans in his new capacity. REMEMBER: We snooze, we lose! So join us, network, and do your part to keep these industires alive!

We are extremely grateful to Paul Alvarado-Dykstra (TXMPA Central TX Rep) for being out guest Speaker on Wed Jan 26. He gave a detailed presentation about where we in the film, TV, gaming, and media industries stand in relationship to the uphill battle we face in retaining funding for the Texas Film Incentive Package. His informative Power Point presentation was filled with facts and numbers that revealed how effective the Package has been in bringing revenue to Texas, in spite of the competition from other states.

Paul also discussed how Austin and Texas have become recognized as excellent places for television production, why FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS was the biggest TV production in Texas since DALLAS, the need for sustainability in these industries, how much TRUE GRIT meant to Texas, Lobby Day on the morning of March 9 at the Texas Capitol, some success stories, and other important issues. Thank you, Paul, for your insights and hard work in moving the industry in Texas forward!

SEE: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1215730/   &   http://montgolfier.net/mhi/paul.html
http://www.facebook.com/irobogeek
   &   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/paul-alvarado-dykstra/5/54/317

We had a record crowd of 220-240 at the Mixer on Wed Jan 12! Having such a huge crowd proved all of you receive information about the Mixers and know where ND Venue is located. Needless to say, please attend all future Mixers. Why? Because information and networking are key to moving forward in this business.

OUR LOCATION: ND Venue - 501 Studios - http://ndvenue.com/location/. The entrance is on Brushy St. between 5th and 6th Streets, one block east of the I35 North frontage road. This venue is downtown, is large, has a bar, and plenty of free parking: On-the-street and in the large lot across from 501! And admission is FREE!

TIME SCHEDULE FOR MIXERS AT ND VENUE:
Doors open at 6 PM. Join us then and start networking!
Guest Speakers begin at 6:45 PM, followed by plenty of Q&A time!
After the program is over, you are invited to stay, mix and mingle as long as you wish!

IMPORTANT: Due to changes made by Google concerning Google Groups, after January 12 we will no longer be able to post new info on our Google Group, so to keep updated about our featured Speakers, always visit our main website - http://networkaustinmixer.com/. Email me - network(AT)garywimmer.com - and request membership – if you have not already done so. That way we will have you on our email list and can keep you updated!

The Network Austin Mixer is now in its sixth year and we deeply appreciate your support, interest, and attendance! We meet on the second and last Wednesdays of each month, except November and December due to the holidays. There is no membership required to attend and no cover charge. The Mixers are open to people involved with or interested in film, media, acting, writing, producing, directing, etc. Join us and network!

Please pass on information about our Mixers to your friends and associates in the film/media industries.
And if you have a website associated with these fields, please post our website -
http://networkaustinmixer.com

THE NETWORK AUSTIN MIXER CORE GROUP
--
Gary L. Wimmer