The Network Austin Mixer - Wed July 27 - 6 PM – Baby A’s, Austin - Speakers: David Layton & J. Kevin Smith (Picture Box Productions)

Gary L. Wimmer

Jul 25, 2011, 7:46:06 AM7/25/11
to the-network-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Film, Game, Music and Entertainment People, Friends, Investors and Fans,

WHAT: The Network Austin Mixer
WHEN: Wed July 27, 2011 - 6 PM
WHERE: Baby Acapulco's - 5610 North IH-35, Austin TX 78751
WHO: Everyone involved in entertainment media... and YOU!
GUEST SPEAKERS: David Layton & J. Kevin Smith – Picture Box Productions

http://www.pictureboxproductions.com/
http://www.pictureboxproductions.com/about-us/the-team/

We are thrilled to have David Layton & J. Kevin Smith (Picture Box Productions) as our Guest Speakers on Wed July 29!
Who are these highly-creative, local gentlemen?

David Layton is a talented filmmaker and cinematographer who has worked on scores of projects, from dramatic and documentary feature films to commercials, music videos, concert films and industrial films and videos. He produced and directed the feature-length documentary, The Hot Shoe, (2004) which aired in the U.S. and Europe. He was Director of Photography on two feature-length narrative films, My Name is Buttons (2002) and A Yeti in the City (2007). David was cinematographer for numerous political ads, including spots for the Democratic National Committee and Presidential candidate Barack Obama. David was Director of Photography for the third season of the award-winning documentary television program, “Downtown," and in 2011 was the principal cinematographer and co-producer of the award-winning documentary Better This World.

J. Kevin Smith is a producer, director, and editor with 14 years experience in the film and video industry, and has been a partner at Picturebox for over 10 years. He has produced projects for clients that include Dell Computer, Apple, Obama for America, Advanced Micro Devices, GSD&M, Seton Hospitals, Alcon, and the Office of the Attorney General’s Office of Texas. Kevin has also co-produced and edited the feature films In Flangante and One Eye Peeled. With partner Mike Nicholson, Kevin produced, wrote, and directed Teaching Austin, a feature documentary about the history of public education in Austin, and also served as an associate producer on 2011's award winning documentary Better This World. The following is a synopsis of Better This World

Two boyhood friends from Midland, Texas – David McKay and Bradley Crowder – fall under the sway of a charismatic revolutionary ten years their senior. At the volatile 2008 Republican Convention the "Texas Two" cross a line that radically changes their lives. The result: eight homemade bombs, multiple domestic terrorism charges and a high stakes entrapment defense hinging on the actions of a controversial FBI informant. A dramatic story of idealism, loyalty, crime and betrayal, Better This World goes to the heart of the War on Terror and its impact on civil liberties and political dissent in post-9/11 America.

Plan on joining us on Wednesday July 27, meet new folks with like minds, get out of the heat, have a cold margarita and some fine food, network, and learn about the excellent work of artists David Layton & J. Kevin Smith!

Angela Rawna
We are extremely proud to have had Angela Rawnā as our Guest Speaker on Wednesday July 13. Angela is a dedicated, hard-working actress who is becoming quite well known in the film and television industries in Los Angeles. SEE: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1543425/

Angela performed in John Patrick Shanely's Tony Award winning play "Doubt" in Austin, won the 2008 Austin Critics Table Award for Outstanding Acting in a Supporting Role as Mrs. Muller, and also played Regina Howard in Friday Night Lights, Lucinda in Elvis and Anabelle, the Medical Deputy in A Scanner Darkly, and numerous other roles in film and on television. As Richard Linklater, director of A Scanner Darkly says, "Angela is a wonderful actress and an intelligent collaborator."

Angela talked about Austin vs LA, doing research to know the character, being prepared, being aware of voice, breath, movement, physicality, etc. A superb presentation, Angela, and we thank you dearly!

Baby Acapulco's
THE NETWORK AUSTIN MIXER meets at Baby Acapulco's - also known at Baby A's - 5610 North IH-35, Austin, 78751 - on the southbound I35 Frontage Road on the west side of I35, South of the Koenig Lane-I35-US 290 East intersection. If heading North on I 35, exit 2222, make the far left U-turn, and head back South on the frontage road. If heading South on I 35, take Exit 238B-A (Houston, East 290, 2222), go through the 2222/290 intersection and keep going south on the frontage road. Baby A's is an Austin institution, and we meet in the large back room with HAPPY HOUR SPECIALS until 7 PM!

Take advantage of this opportunity to join us on Wednesday July 13, meet new folks with like minds, get out of the heat, have a cold margarita, network and get some great insights about filmmaking, writing, and producing from the creative duo of David Layton & J. Kevin Smith!

The Network Austin Mixer is now in its sixth year and we deeply appreciate your support, interest, and attendance! We meet on the second and last Wednesdays of each month, except November and December due to the holidays. There is no membership required to attend and no cover charge. The Mixers are open to people involved with or interested in film, media, acting, writing, producing, directing, etc. Join us and network! Please pass on information about our Mixers to your friends and associates in the film/media industries, and if you have a website associated with those fields, please post our website - http://networkaustinmixer.com

Gary L. Wimmer for THE NETWORK AUSTIN MIXER
http://garywimmer.com