Lift vs IDE or just DE?

geezenslaw

Aug 15, 2010, 11:22:51 AM8/15/10
to The Lift Book
Hi Lifters, OK, I'm reading the Lift book but I had to digress because
the question hit me: what about my precious IDEA? I look over once
again my IDEA plugins and there appears to be no support for Scala or
Lift under the Intellij covers. So, my question is what do the most
cool of the cool Lift developers use for their development
environment? I'm mostly a ubuntu based developer so are we talking any
old editor? And, any old console terminal to run command-line? And,
any old browser to test out the changes to our app? Or do I just need
to read further in the Lift book? BTW: what is the diff between the
Lift book and: master.pdf? Rants and raves welcomed, :-David.

geezenslaw

Aug 15, 2010, 11:22:51 AM8/15/10
to The Lift Book

David Pollak

Aug 15, 2010, 11:45:26 AM8/15/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
This kind of question is better on the Lift Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/topics?hl=en

Each of the major IDEs (Eclipse, NetBeans and IntelliJ) have Scala plugins.  Since Scala 2.8 was released, those libraries have gotten much better.

The current favored practice among hard-core Lift users is sbt (Simple Build Tool) is the choice for building Lift projects (we don't yet have coverage for it in the book).  Lifty http://groups.google.com/group/lifty/topics is that latest helpful tool for creating Lift (and other) code snippets.

The purchased book from Apress was a snapshot of the Lift book taken about 15 months ago and packaged in both paper and pdf.  Buying the book does put money (not a lot, but some) in the pockets of the Lift book authors.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

Marius Danciu

Aug 15, 2010, 1:07:59 PM8/15/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
The funny thing is that I used to be an Eclipse addict. Even now when I do Java coding I seem to need Eclipse's features. I did not expect that when coding in Scala I just don't need IDE wizardry. EMACS is perfect for me even without ENSIME ... and I really like ENSIME. I typically use EMACS + YASNIPPET and SBT.

Br's,
Marius

Donald McLean

Aug 15, 2010, 1:25:00 PM8/15/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
When I evaluated different technologies for building RIA (mostly GWT
vs Lift), I used the Scala plugin for IDEA. It wasn't great, like
their Java support, but it wasn't awful either.

We used Ant for building everything - but that was mostly because I
already knew Ant and didn't feel like throwing yet another new
technology into the mix.

(Management has not yet announced which technology we'll be using)

Donald

Tyler Weir

Aug 15, 2010, 2:52:34 PM8/15/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
I spend about 25% of my time in IDEA and 75% in Vim.
IDEA 9.0.3 and the 2.8 Scala plug-in are good, other than speed issues
and occasionally adding some type info when the parser cannot infer
the type.

CodeFellow is aiming to be ENSIME for Vim and it's getting there.

The IDE/Editor landscape is quite fluid right now, leapfrogging each
other in terms of usefulness. Mads is making TextMate suitable for
Scala now as well.

Lots of options, try them all and see what sticks. IDE/Editor
preference is personal taste, so you need to make up your own mind.

-------------------------------------
http://www.tylerweir.ca

Derek Chen-Becker

Aug 16, 2010, 1:34:50 AM8/16/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
I just started using Eclipse again for some non-Lift Scala stuff at work now that Miles has a 2.8 plugin out. Other than that, I almost exclusively use Emacs and SBT for Lift work.

Derek

Randinn

Aug 24, 2010, 10:11:59 PM8/24/10
to The Lift Book
Is the Eclipse one working well now? back in 2.7 I was using Netbeans
but 'graduated' to IDEA 9 with 2.8, I don't necessarily love IDEA, for
me it's limited in a few areas but for the moment works best.

On Aug 16, 3:34 pm, Derek Chen-Becker <dchenbec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just started using Eclipse again for some non-Lift Scala stuff at work now
> that Miles has a 2.8 plugin out. Other than that, I almost exclusively use
> Emacs and SBT for Lift work.
>
> Derek
>
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Marius Danciu <marius.dan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > The funny thing is that I used to be an Eclipse addict. Even now when I do
> > Java coding I seem to need Eclipse's features. I did not expect that when
> > coding in Scala I just don't need IDE wizardry. EMACS is perfect for me even
> > without ENSIME ... and I really like ENSIME. I typically use EMACS +
> > YASNIPPET and SBT.
>
> > Br's,
> > Marius
>
> > On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM, geezenslaw <geezens...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi Lifters, OK, I'm reading the Lift book but I had to digress because
> >> the question hit me: what about my precious IDEA? I look over once
> >> again my IDEA plugins and there appears to be no support for Scala or
> >> Lift under the Intellij covers. So, my question is what do the most
> >> cool of the cool Lift developers use for their development
> >> environment? I'm mostly a ubuntu based developer so are we talking any
> >> old editor? And, any old console terminal to run command-line? And,
> >> any old browser to test out the changes to our app? Or do I just need
> >> to read further in the Lift book? BTW: what is the diff between the
> >> Lift book and: master.pdf? Rants and raves welcomed, :-David.
>
> >> --
>
> >  --
> > .

Derek Chen-Becker

Aug 25, 2010, 12:28:00 PM8/25/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
I sitll like Emacs a lot for Lift because the nested maven-ness of Lift makes things a bit funky in Eclipse IMHO, but for pure Scala work the new Eclipse plugin works quite well.

Derek

Andy Czerwonka

Dec 10, 2010, 5:19:27 PM12/10/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
Curious... why do you avoid ENSIME is you like it?

Derek Chen-Becker

Dec 10, 2010, 5:28:45 PM12/10/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
I can't ever get it to run ;) Actually, I've started using IDEA recently and it's very nice

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Andy Czerwonka <andy.cz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Curious... why do you avoid ENSIME is you like it?

Andy Czerwonka

Dec 10, 2010, 8:31:48 PM12/10/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
Really?  I don't show compilation errors, which really sucks.  Or at least I can't get it to show them.

Donald McLean

Dec 10, 2010, 11:16:15 PM12/10/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
Full syntax checking in IDEA for Scala is apparently not quite there
yet so it is turned off by default. There is at least one note about
this in the JetBrains mailing list for Scala and on the IDEA page in
the Lift Wiki.

Andy Czerwonka

Dec 11, 2010, 10:50:40 AM12/11/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
Ya, I turned it on and it really doesn't work at all, so until that gets there, ENSIME will be my choice.