epub version of Exploring Lift

Michael Froh

Dec 27, 2010, 5:04:51 PM12/27/10
to The Lift Book
Hi there,

I decided to try modifying the Lift Book build process to generate an epub version. While my solution so far isn't very elegant, and some of the longer lines in code listings are right-truncated (at least on my Sony PRS-700), I seem to have something that works. I'm hoping it should work on other eBook readers, iPads, etc.

If this is something that other people would find useful, I can polish up the changes so they're a little more respectable. (Right now, they're really hacky, and the metadata files were hand-written.)

I forked the liftbook source into a repository here: https://github.com/msfroh/liftbook in case anyone is interested.

Hope that helps,
Michael

Derek Chen-Becker

Dec 27, 2010, 5:35:00 PM12/27/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I think that Tyler was also working on converting the HTML version into an iPad-friendly format (not sure if it covers other readers). You might want to ping him.

Derek

Tyler Weir

Dec 27, 2010, 7:26:56 PM12/27/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
The plan is still in progress. The holidays are always busy.

In January for sure.

puppetluva

Dec 28, 2010, 10:40:37 PM12/28/10
to The Lift Book
Would it also be possible to do mobipocket for kindles or is that
format too different?
> I forked the liftbook source into a repository here:https://github.com/msfroh/liftbookin case anyone is interested.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Michael

Michael Froh

Dec 29, 2010, 10:26:45 AM12/29/10
to the-li...@googlegroups.com
I can't find a technical description of the mobipocket format, and the "official" mobipocket Creator software is Windows-only.

That said, Calibre seems to do a good job of converting back and forth between epub and mobi., so it should do the trick.