Exploring Lift updated

Derek Chen-Becker

Jan 4, 2011, 7:41:48 PM1/4/11
to the-li...@googlegroups.com, liftweb
The logging chapter has been completely revised to use Lift 2.2-isms. Online, PDF and downloadable HTML versions have been updated (but may take a few minutes to push to the mirror).

Cheers,

Derek

TylerWeir

Jan 5, 2011, 9:16:03 AM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
As *always* excellent stuff sir.

Marius Danciu

Jan 5, 2011, 9:48:30 AM1/5/11
to the-li...@googlegroups.com, lif...@googlegroups.com
+1 !

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:16 PM, TylerWeir <tyler...@gmail.com> wrote:
As *always* excellent stuff sir.

Alex Siman

Jan 5, 2011, 4:23:26 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
What is the difference beetwen books "Simply Lift" and "Exploring Lift"? Why do we have two separate books on Lift? What is the purpose of each?

Tyler Weir

Jan 5, 2011, 5:12:03 PM1/5/11
to the-li...@googlegroups.com, lif...@googlegroups.com
Exploring Lift is the OSS version of The Definitive Guide to Lift.

Simply Lift is Dave's tightly focused book.

Why do we have two books? There are 3 Lift books actually. There are
6 or 7 for Scala, and hundreds for C, C++, PHP, etc.

The purpose is to help people learn and use Lift.
-------------------------------------
http://www.tylerweir.ca

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Alex Siman <aleksan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the difference beetwen books "Simply Lift" and "Exploring Lift"? Why
> do we have two separate books on Lift? What is the purpose of each?

David Pollak

Jan 5, 2011, 5:25:34 PM1/5/11
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Tyler Weir <tyler...@gmail.com> wrote:
Exploring Lift is the OSS version of The Definitive Guide to Lift.

Simply Lift is Dave's tightly focused book.

Plus my writing voice is different from Derek, Tyler and Marius'.  Different people learn from different voices and different teaching styles.  Giving folks a variety of sources allows them to find the voice and the style that best suits them.

Why do we have two books?  There are 3 Lift books actually.  There are
6 or 7 for Scala, and hundreds for C, C++, PHP, etc.

The purpose is to help people learn and use Lift.
-------------------------------------
http://www.tylerweir.ca

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Alex Siman <aleksan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the difference beetwen books "Simply Lift" and "Exploring Lift"? Why
> do we have two separate books on Lift? What is the purpose of each?
>
> --

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

Alex Siman

Jan 5, 2011, 5:47:22 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
Why do we have two books?  There are 3 Lift books actually.  There are
6 or 7 for Scala, and hundreds for C, C++, PHP, etc.
To clarify I'm not against two or more books on Lift. But I rather mean, that maybe it would be better to concentrate forces and attention on one book to create something like an open Lift Bible.

Alex Siman

Jan 5, 2011, 5:49:21 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
BTW, under 3rd book on Lift do you mean: "The Definitive Guide to Lift: A Scala-based Web Framework (Expert's Voice in Open Source)"?

David Pollak

Jan 5, 2011, 6:09:18 PM1/5/11
to the-li...@googlegroups.com, lif...@googlegroups.com

No, it would not be better.  It would be worse.

It would take a lot more effort to coordinate the writing of 4 people.

It would take a lot more effort to get all the authors speaking in a single voice.

The more effort spent on process, the less effort spent on writing.

What we have now is two different perspectives on Lift taught with different voices.  The materials in the books is not really overlapping.  So, you can read both books (or start reading both and choose which style suits you best.)  You can also skim overlapping sections in each book.

What we have now is what I consider the optimal configuration (and I have done some co-authoring with the Exploring Lift folks).  You have lots of access to lots of the pieces of Lift.  If there's something that you're interested in that neither of the books covers, please let us know.

Alex Siman

Jan 5, 2011, 6:21:22 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
Thanx for reply, David. When I first heard about Simply Lift I just thought that Exploring Lift is abandoned. So I was a little confused if I need to track Exploring Lift.

Derek Chen-Becker

Jan 5, 2011, 6:40:42 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
FYI, the third book is Tim Perret's Lift in Action:

http://www.manning.com/perrett/

From what I've seen of it so far, it's going to be an excellent addition to the Lift documentation.

Derek

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Alex Siman <aleksan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanx for reply, David. When I first heard about Simply Lift I just thought that Exploring Lift is abandoned. So I was a little confused if I need to track Exploring Lift.

Marius Danciu

Jan 6, 2011, 7:11:47 AM1/6/11