‘Just another ACC school’: Inside SU’s recruiting successes and failures

The Juice Online

Apr 15, 2021, 8:22:36 PMApr 15
to the-juic...@googlegroups.com
Curious to get all of your thoughts on this article. Craig, I feel like you are one of these quotes, ha.

The Juice Online
The Inside Look at Syracuse Athletics
Part of the SNY.tv Blog Network
Partner of the ACC Digital Network
http://sujuiceonline.com/
Twitter: @thejuiceonline

Steve Auger

Apr 16, 2021, 8:37:32 AMApr 16
to the-juic...@googlegroups.com
I thought the article was fair.  Raised some good points. One area that is impossible to truly comprehend how much it hurt is the sanctions.  You can play "what if" games had they had the scholarships. Kevin Huerter and his shooting is a prime example.  They wanted him to wait a year because they didn't have room. Currently in his 3rd year in NBA. https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4066372/kevin-huerter

Apr 16, 2021, 9:36:00 AMApr 16
to the-juic...@googlegroups.com

Which Craig or both?

Apr 16, 2021, 10:04:26 AMApr 16
to The Juice Online
Steve nailed it with the scholarship losses being a massive "what if".

I also think that, while Boeheim remains the coach, we're going to see SU continue to target a small number of high school players in the #25-100 ranking range and work on recruiting them.  He likes a smaller number of scholarship players, anyway (less players to divvy up playing time).

Adding in the transfer portal and the new rule removing the requirement of sitting out a season, I suspect they'll focus less on high school recruiting in the future, anyway.  They can easily carve out a reputation as a strong destination for transfers, re-targeting kids like Swider, a kid they recruited in high school who didn't commit the first time.

I suspect they'll rarely bring in three kids in a high school class again because they won't want to.

I also think that article does some heavy lifting to rehab Hopkins' head coaching image by reiterating a lot of things about him that are repeated as why he was successful here - players' coach, recruiter, focuses on building up players instead of negative feedback.

Jim Stechschulte

Steve Auger

Apr 16, 2021, 10:10:22 AMApr 16
to the-juic...@googlegroups.com
Jim, do you think Hop was a source for the article?  "Former staffer".  SUFan board seems to think Devo is the "former staffer."

Apr 16, 2021, 1:22:59 PMApr 16
to The Juice Online
I couldn't give anything resembling an educated answer, especially because "former staffer" is almost a catch-all term for anyone associated with the program.

With the turnover at the DO as kids simply go through school, I don't know if any of them would have enough of a connection to Hopkins to get him to say something bad about the program anonymously, especially since he's been gone for four years.  Frankly, I don't know if anyone could get Hopkins to say something bad about the program, period.

Looking at the tone of the article, it feels like Hopkins could have made any of the positive comments that were not directly about him, such as the one about the praise for Boeheim steering the program through the sanctions.  And since I doubt Hopkins would speak about himself in a self-promoting way (it makes zero sense to do that in any case - on or off the record, you're bragging about yourself or blaming others), it could very well be multiple people described as a "former staffer".

"Former staffer" is such a vague descriptor of lots of people around the program on a daily basis.  It could be a student manager who graduated in the last few years.  It could be Eric Devendorf.  You could even describe Gerry McNamara as a "former staffer" because of his previous position on the staff before getting promoted to assistant coach.

I mean, the DO had a "former player" state that Frank Howard's suspension in the NCAA Tournament his senior year was for a violation of drug policy.  That comment could have been an off-the-record comment by anyone on the coaching staff, as they're all former players.

Jim Stechschulte