Coach into his 80s?!?!?!

Steve Auger

Jun 3, 2021, 2:05:56 PMJun 3
to Syracuse List Serve

Edwin Brooks

Jun 3, 2021, 2:11:11 PMJun 3
to the-juic...@googlegroups.com
I didn’t want to say this yesterday but I strongly suspect JB will die as coach or the end will be ugly like Bobby Bowden at FSU. I don’t see it ending any other way.

--
The Juice Online
The Inside Look at Syracuse Athletics

Edwin F. Brooks, Esquire
EDWIN F. BROOKS, LLC
6 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220

(804) 648-1448-telephone
(804) 648-8001-facsimile

Steve Auger

Jun 3, 2021, 2:33:00 PMJun 3
to the-juic...@googlegroups.com
If Roy and K can choose to walk away from UNC & Duke, why can’t he take the example? What does JB have left to prove? Coaching into his 80s?!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone

Craig Sherman

Jun 3, 2021, 2:40:44 PMJun 3
to the-juic...@googlegroups.com
Playing devil's advocate, if your career is your life, would YOU want to stop doing what makes you happiest? Who is to say when someone is too old? Certainly I do not pretend to be that guy....

CRAIG SHERMAN
Network Operations / Transmission Coordinator

CBS Sports Network

Office: 212.975.7413Cell: 646.481.0147Email: craig....@cbs.com
555 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019

CBS Sports Network | CBS Sports HQ | CBSSports.com | 247Sports | MaxPreps.com

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 06/03/21, 02:39:17 PM

Edwin Brooks

Jun 3, 2021, 2:48:21 PMJun 3
to the-juic...@googlegroups.com
That's a great point Craig. There's also this: SU is doing well in basketball recruiting so JB may view the transition at Dook and UNC as an opportunity to do well in the ACC and maybe win another natty. I doubt he'd admit it, but I'm sure it royally pisses him off that Calcrook won 3 titles at UConn and JB has one. I'm sure if JB also had 3 chips, he'd be retiring. It's easier for Roy (3 titles) and K (5 titles) to walk away.  I still feel like we are owed one by luck and fate due to 2010. Healthy AO = natty.. That Butler game continues to piss me off 11 years later. It's second behind Indiana in 87 in case anyone was wondering.  I'd also like SU to win another title because it would cause the UVa people to pipe down. As you can imagine, I am listening to no local sports radio this week because all I heard the two minutes I did listen was about UVa lacrosse.

Steve Auger

Jun 3, 2021, 2:48:57 PMJun 3
to the-juic...@googlegroups.com
Totally fair point. But, he runs the risk of getting fired if the program slips because kids like benny Williams don't want to play for him.  Then he's sullied his legacy.  And these guys all have massive egos.

Steve, that's a pretty big "if". So far, there is little if any evidence that kids don't want to play for him, per-se. There are examples of kids not wanting to play zone, but I don't consider that a real issue in the long run. He recruits mostly to his system. hence the lack of McDonald's AM's. As we all know, JB as ALWAYS done more with less - that is his legacy IMHO.

CRAIG SHERMAN
Network Operations / Transmission Coordinator

CBS Sports Network

Office: 212.975.7413Cell: 646.481.0147Email: craig....@cbs.com
555 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019

CBS Sports Network | CBS Sports HQ | CBSSports.com | 247Sports | MaxPreps.com

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 06/03/21, 02:54:01 PM

Steve Auger

Jun 3, 2021, 3:04:35 PMJun 3
to the-juic...@googlegroups.com
Yes, he does recruit more to his system/the zone than loading up a la Kentucky and Duke. But if Edwin is right and he desperately wants another NC, he's going to need NBA players. And from the sounds of it, I guess we will find out how this all plays out...in a handful of years....

Sent: Thursday, June 3, 2021 2:55 PM

DSafetyGuy

Jun 3, 2021, 4:30:42 PMJun 3
to The Juice Online
I just listened to Mike Waters' podcast from this week with Dave McMenamin (ESPN NBA reporter, former SU manager) and one of Mike's questions was about how well  prepares players for the NBA.  McMenamin explained that there's not really a stigma about the zone any more because scouts can tell who can actually play man-to-man defense well while playing in a zone defense, as well as the NBA's shift toward positionless basketball and the wider employment of zone defenses making the 2-3 at Syracuse a lot less of a factor.  Krzyzewski also played a bunch of zone in recent years and never had problems recruiting guys.  If anything, it is negative recruiting done by other coaches, looking to exploit kids who don't know better.

Boeheim has, with few exceptions, aimed to recruit players who should be on campus 3+ years, which is why they often get caught in a bad spot when a player vastly exceeds expectations and pretty much has to jump early (Tyler Ennis, Malachi Richardson, and Tyler Lydon are recent examples), leaving them unprepared to fill in a surprising roster hole.

Boeheim is so competitive, it's hard to see him not retiring until he's physically unable to coach.  His inability to not get the last word is evidence of this.

Jim Stechschulte

William Grammaticas

Jun 3, 2021, 5:35:56 PMJun 3
to Syracuse List Serve