Continuing Development w/ the Source?

Casey Burk

Jan 15, 2013, 9:56:29 AM1/15/13
to The Guide Users Group
Does anyone know if someone has continued development on this
application?

I love The Guide because it's just so simple to use. No frills... Just
load it up and off you go... That's what's so wonderful about this
thing. It's a shame that development of it has been discontinued
because it has so much potential to be a really amazing application.
The only things (in my opinion) that it lacks are better IMPORT /
EXPORT capabilities and an "Insert Code Snippet" WYSIWYG button. If
these things were improved / added, The Guide would easily be the best
program to use for personal blogging / documentation.

I wonder how hard it might be to add something like this?

Casey Burk

Mar 11, 2014, 10:54:32 PM3/11/14
to the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
Dan, I just now saw this. I check in on this app from time-to-time because I keep hoping and praying that someone sees the continuous activity around here and suddenly gets some ambition to denote!

That aside, I have access to Visual Studio 2012 and as soon as I get the time / energy to, I'll see what I can do to at least have some clean compiles. If I can get it to cleanly compile, I could begin to work on it myself. I've threatened to do this in the past but last time I tried to compile the thing, I wound up having some issues with a driver file (lib-something, I think it was). If for no other reason than to get my snippet / GeSHi insert button!

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:21:57 AM UTC-5, Dan Carroll wrote:
For blogging we could use the ability to have a title, description, tags or labels, a word cloud, and a spell checker. What I am most interested in is a word cloud and after that, a spell checker. See the RedNotebook for an app that has these capabilities. Only it doesn't have the ability to show a word cloud for the current page. The word cloud is for all pages.

I love the tree pane in The Guide. It helps me organize my pages and create topics while brainstorming. If the RedNotebook app had a tree view instead of its calendar view I would use it for blogging.

Any way Casey, hope it all works out for you. I'm still looking for the perfect writing platform for blogging. If I had the time, could check the code for The Guide to see what it would take to maintain it and make changes. Maybe one day. Will see if the folks at PortableApps are doing anything with it. Later.

Scoox

May 17, 2014, 12:45:00 AM5/17/14
to the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
I didn't know the source code was available, where can I download it?

Jim Knecht

May 20, 2014, 3:36:27 PM5/20/14
to the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, The source is here:

http://theguide.sourceforge.net

Click download then select the file named "winguide-2.0-src.zip"