the Grapevine 6/26/09

Mark Jackson

Jun 26, 2009, 10:57:37 PM6/26/09
to the-gr...@googlegroups.com
the Grapevine
the e-newsletter of NewLife Community Church
June 26, 2009

Preview of Coming Attractions...

I've decided to do shorter sermon series (if not shorter messages - he says with a grin!) this sermon - in the next eight weeks, we'll be exploring some of the movies of the summer (and the themes they raise) as well as discovering who God designed you to be through a quick series of messages from Ephesians.

At the Movies
  • June 28th: Transformers - 2 Cor 3:13-18 (NIV), Romans 8:29 (MSG), Romans 12:1-2
  • July 5th: The Proposal - John 8:44 (NIV), 1 Cor 13:6
  • July 12th: Up - Ephesians 5:8-10, 15-17, 2 Corinthians 11:23-33
  • July 19th: The Answer Man - John 20:24-30
The Way I Was Made
  • July 26: Accepted - Ephesians 1:1, 5
  • August 2nd: Valued - Ephesians 2:10
  • August 9th: Invited - Ephesians 3:12
  • August 16th: Direct Access - Ephesians 2:18
Now that you've got a sneak preview, you can "read ahead"! Also, the movie tie-in makes it really easy to invite folks to come with you...

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Please understand that my using a film as a jumping-off point for a message does not imply an endorsement of the film... case in point, this week's Transformers sequel. What follows is short quotes from two reviews: the first from Todd Hertz at ChristianityTodayMovies.com...

I cannot list all of the objectionable, offensive, and stupid stuff tucked into this movie under the guise of humor or sex appeal. Many audiences say that Bay films are just big dumb fun blockbusters meant to be enjoyed with the brain off and not analyzed. I disagree. I'm all for movies with which you can just have a good time if 1) they don't insult my intelligence or faith and 2) they don't add obstacles to my enjoyment like crude humor, shameless sexualization, and offensive stereotypes. All of those are here in spades. This is not a harmless movie to check your brain out of and have fun. It could have been that (there are fun moments), but Bay made the choice to make this film something else.

And the second is from Roger Ebert...

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments. One of these involves a dog-like robot humping the leg of the heroine. Such are the meager joys. If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination.

Quotes of the Week

No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough.
Most of us do not consciously look at movies.

     Roger Ebert

A sad scary reality - do we really think about what we're watching?

Don't Forget!
  • VBS Parents Night & Carnival is TOMORROW night at 6 pm (Saturday the 27th)
  • Cool Summer Nights is Sunday night - there will be baptisms!