Update 10/16/06

hach...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2006, 9:36:31 AM10/16/06
to The Gradone Family
Good morning,
Saturday afternoon I received a copy of the marriage certificate for
Michael B. Gradone and Josephine DeNunzio. I don't know why I didn't
request a copy sooner. Many times the more contemporary marriage
records will contain the names of the groom and bride's parents.
Fortunately, this was the case here and I was able to discover the
names of Josephine's (Great-Grammy) parents. Over the last few days it
has led me to discover quite a few peices of additional information.
Here's what I have found:
It appears that Gabriele DeNunzio (born 23 Oct 1863), wife Palmira
(Trampetti) (born 15 Mar 1871), immigrated to the United States in 1903
with five children. Their names were:

Domenick - born about 1891
Mary - born about 1894
Josephine - born 24 Oct 1895
Vincent Gabriel - born 20 Jan 1897
Louis Emilio - born 24 Dec 1899

By 1910, I was able to find them living at 130 Bremen Street, East
Boston. According to the census report, 130 Bremen Street was a
multi-family unit that held 51 individuals at the time the census was
taken. Gabriel was listed as a barber and Palmira was a "dipper" at a
candy shop. There were also three additional children by this time:

Americo - born 03 Feb 1903 (My guess is that he was named as such
because he was the first child born in America)
Elena - born 07 Jan 1906
Vittorio Emanuele - born 24 Jul 1909 (Vittorio would go by Victor the
rest of his life)

In 1920 I found the DeNunzio family living at 644 Broadway, Revere.
Gone was Domenick (I've yet to find out where he went) and Josephine
(was now married and living with Michael). Gabriel was a clerk at a
bank and Palmira was unemployed. Both Vincent and Americo were listed
as musicians. According to the Revere assessor, 644 Broadway is a two
bedroom, one bath house with roughly 900 square feet of living space!

Finally, in 1930 the DeNunzio family was living at 73 Almont Street in
Medford. This house was a much larger duplex than where they were
living ten years earlier. Here's a picture of the house today
http://hachaliah.googlepages.com/DeNunzio-73AlmontStreet.jpg Now only
three children remained at home; Mary, Elena, and Victor. Gabriel was
still a bank clerk. Palmira and Mary were finishers at a garment shop,
Elena was teaching piano lessons, and Victor was following in the
footsteps of his older brothers as a musician (the census actually says
"saxophone").

I'm still doing some digging, but it seems that Gabriel, Palmira, and
Victor ended up in San Diego at some point where all three died.
Gabriel passed away 05 Jul 1940, Palmira on 23 May 1951, and Victor 15
Feb 1968.

If anyone cares, I've posted the census reports for 1910, 1920, and
1930 online:
http://hachaliah.googlepages.com/DeNunzioGabrielCensus-1910.jpg
http://hachaliah.googlepages.com/DeNunzioGabrielCensus-1920.jpg
http://hachaliah.googlepages.com/DeNunzioGabrielCensus-1930.jpg