rosy barbs or...

denizen

Oct 15, 2012, 3:14:42 PM10/15/12
to The Freshwater Aquarium
Hi,
I'd like to add a school of bigger, active fish to go with the
loaches, bristlenose and platies in my planted 90gal aquarium. Water
is city water, naturally low-KH but pH usually in the mid to upper 6's
when it's measured.

I've briefly had a rosy barb or two long ago, but never a school. They
appeal because they're supposed to be easy-care. Petsmart site lists
them as "semi-aggressive"!?! My tank is at 76-79F and sources suggest
the barbs would like it cooler.

I'm considering giant Danios instead; they'd certainly be active. Had
some once, but gave them away when they and the rainbow fish grew to
full size and things got crowded.

Or how about some rainbowfish? Had some beautiful "dwarf" neon
rainbows for a year or two - not long-living for me. Previously had
great success with boesmani and common rainbowfish, but they do get
pretty big.

So do folks have suggestions or comments? I'll probably go to
Petsmart, because that about the only choice in this smaller city. Or
I could drive some hours to a Big Al's, where I'd buy 'way too
much :) .

And do any of the above eat small platies?? Some population control is
in order for these prolific livebearers.
d.

Altum

Oct 16, 2012, 6:01:03 PM10/16/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Rosy barbs are good community fish but putting them in a planted tank depends how tender/tasty your plants are. I wouldn't trust them with soft-leaved plants like hygrophila, water sprite, or rotala. They're OK with tougher plants like swords, anubias, and grasses. Barbs tend to be plant-nibblers in general, with some of the larger barbs being more in the lawn-mower than nibbler category. On the bright side, they'll also often go after hair algae.

Rainbowfish are a better choice for planted tanks. They'll pretty much leave plants alone and if you've kept bosemani rainbows you know the mild to moderate degree of aggression the males can have. Neons tend to be treated with hormones to bring their colors out, which is why they are often short-lived. I haven't ever kept giant danios. They're a little too active for my taste. I don't think they're supposed to be big plant-eaters though.

Any of these fish will eat small platies if they can find/catch them.

--Altum