NO MORE CHAMPAGNE

DONN...@yahoo.com

Dec 17, 2007, 3:19:28 PM12/17/07
to The Food Diaries
I decided today no more champagne.

Don't get excited folks, I mean no more using the word champagne when
I am speaking of sparkling wine or prosecco. I made this decision
after confusing a co-worker last week.

I use the word champagne when I am talking about champagne and/or
sparkling wine. Today I stop, champagne is produced in the Champagne
region of France and sparkling wine as well as prosecco are not. One
word should not be used for the other. Each has it's own distinction
and should be respected as such.

Who's with me?

jwhyt...@comcast.net

Dec 18, 2007, 7:34:11 AM12/18/07
to The Food Diaries
Yes Donna-you scared me for a moment! Although it may be politically
correct to use sparkling wine/prosecco- I prefer the term Champagne-
just because it rolls off the tongue nicer and sounds sexy! of course
that's just me....It's just sooo French! Ta Ta...!

Kathy

Dec 21, 2007, 7:22:37 PM12/21/07
to The Food Diaries
I went to a cahmpagen tasting in Napa years ago where the wine maker
adamantly refused to call his wine sparkling wine. He told us --
heatedly -- that he used the same methods as the French (methode
champagnoise), aged it longer than many of the lower end french
champagnes and had doen well in blind tastings. He was one of the
untraditional, rogue wine makers who refused to be cowed by the
French.

Honestly... and the French would be appalled... for me its become a
generic term. All bubbly stuff is champagne. I know the difference,
but the word is really so much more fun than sparkling wine. How about
Bubbly, Prosecco and Champagne? Call the American version bubbly or
sparklers?

DONN...@yahoo.com

Jan 9, 2008, 10:57:24 AM1/9/08
to The Food Diaries
Ok so I've tried to use the right name for the right beverage, but
it's just not working out. I am still saying champagne to
everything. I have to agree it does sounds better. Most people in my
immediate circle know what I am referring to anyway.

So be it .....

CHAMPAGNE it is!
> > Who's with me?- Hide quoted text -

Kathy

Jan 16, 2008, 7:40:15 AM1/16/08
to The Food Diaries
Welcome back!

This past weekend we made sparkling spritzers with 2/3 champagne and
1/3 blood orange juice with a splash of gran marnier. Yummy sunshine.

DONN...@yahoo.com

Jan 16, 2008, 8:58:15 AM1/16/08
to The Food Diaries
It's 856 am and I want some right now. I could just go back home from
work, make breakfast and sip your cocktail all day.