"Just Desserts" Fundraiser

mjk1025

Nov 29, 2007, 9:31:53 PM11/29/07
to The Food Diaries
For the past 5 years, I have had the honor of supporting the cause of
Women's Economic Justice through the WBDC's annual "Just Desserts"
fundraiser. Professional pastry caterers, restauranteurs and bakers
from all over the Philadelphia Metropolitan Area donate the most
delicious desserts, from comfort desserts to designer boutique pastry
arts selections.

An honored speaker recently opened her remarks with an anecdote, "I
was telling a male colleague what I was doing tonight, and he asked,
'is there going to be real food there?,' and that's what man don't
get, '<if there is dessert> we <women> don't care!'" A bit
stereotypical, but for the few hundred supporters (males
included) who attend the yearly event at the Union League, dessert is
all that we have in our minds!

But the best part of the event is listening to the 4 women who are
recognized every year for their accomplishments in jumpstarting or
accelerating their successful small businesses with the support of the
WBDC. Every testimonial is inspiring, but some of them simply bring
tears to your eyes. And Judy Faye from the Book and the Cook, was the
icing on the cake as the Mistress of Ceremonies.

This is the second year that some of the ladies from Forking Delicious
have joined me, last year, Kathy, Dana, Donna and I. We had
contributed miniature Vanilla Sabayonn with Rum Cake and Raspberry
Champagne flutes. This year, Donna, Lesu and I attended. We
contributed a selection of gourmet
cookies, including Donna's Sweet and Savory Sage Butter Cookies, and I
made a Chocolate-Mocha Meringue Cookie Sandwiches and Spiced Mexican
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches. It is so satisfying to see
all of the cookies gone by the end of the evening! A toast to Women's
Economic Justice everywhere!

jwhyt...@comcast.net

Nov 30, 2007, 7:02:05 AM11/30/07
to The Food Diaries
Wow guys! I wish I could have attended this fabulous and worthy cause!
It sounds like your desserts went out in a flash! Congratulations to
you and all of the women who have accomplished so much. Cheers- Renee

DONN...@yahoo.com

Dec 3, 2007, 7:02:56 PM12/3/07
to The Food Diaries
I had a great time year 2 at the Women's Business Center Just Dessets.
The organization just happens to be on the same floor as my office and
I got two thumbs up from the ladies for my Sage Cookies.

The recipe can be found on page 112 of Bon Appetit November 2007
issue.

I was a little concerned about making the cookies since mine are most
times flat on one side rather then round. So I sought out
professional advise, Min. After a couple of questions we determined
that my butter was to soft so when I was trying to roll the dough into
a log, it was becoming flat like the table I was rolling on. I tried
again with not so soft butter and perfectly round cookies.

Another good cookie recipe was in this months Bon Appetit the Brownie
Thins on page 74. Be sure to use really good chocolate, trust me on
that one. Which wasn't so good and very disappointing were the Savory
Parmesan Shortbread Rounds on page 72. Warm they taste very much like
a Cheezit, but once cooled not so good. Sometimes when things don't
come out right, I feel I need to do it again just to be sure, not this
time.

I enjoyed this months Bon Appetit I think mainly because I actually
had time on Thanksgiving to sit down with a glass of champagne and
read it from cover to cover; that hardly ever happens.

There are some other things I still have to try like the Blood Orange
Champagne Cocktail page 116, the Pomegrante-Champagne Punch page 88,
the Cornish Hens with Double-Cranberry and Thyme Sauce page 142 and
the Roast Beef Tenderloin with Port Sauce page 180.

I will be sure to keep everyone informed.

BON APPETIT!
> > Economic Justice everywhere!- Hide quoted text -

mjk1025

Dec 5, 2007, 7:48:51 PM12/5/07
to The Food Diaries
Donna, Renee - do you find the Bon Appetit and/or Gourmet Magazine
recipes to be pretty precise?

DONN...@yahoo.com

Dec 6, 2007, 9:34:57 PM12/6/07
to The Food Diaries
I find them both very precise. Another that is good is Cooking Light,
it's really great, if you don't want the light part you can sub the
real thing. The light version is usually pretty good also.

jwhyt...@comcast.net

Dec 7, 2007, 8:07:13 AM12/7/07
to The Food Diaries
I too find the recipes to be precise- And sometimes keepers! Of course
some months are better then others- I would like to see more comfort
food recipes!