Travels in Italy

hoover...@hotmail.com

Oct 17, 2007, 9:22:56 AM10/17/07
to The Food Diaries
When my friend and I read the article about your trip to Italy, it so
reminded us of ours in 2005. We put together a group of 18 women,
friends and relatives, from five cities (Philly, Richmond,
VA,YC,Harrisburg, PA and LA), met in Rome, then spent the most
wonderful 10 days traveling from our villa near Deruta. When we read
the description of your villa, we wondered whether you had stayed at
the same one we had - Villa Cleofe. It was the only one we could find
in Umbria that was large enough to fit all of us comfortably. And,
our "pool guy", Georgio, fit the description of yours - lol!
Thank you for allowing us to relive our wonderful experience! Can't
wait to go back.

Betsy Ivey

mjk1025

Oct 17, 2007, 6:32:38 PM10/17/07
to The Food Diaries
Hello Betsy!

I'm so thrilled that you also shared in a wonderful experience in the
Umbrian countryside! We stayed in the Niccone Valley, north of Lake
Trasimeno, between Perugia and Cortona. The closest train station
would have been Cortona-Terontola. What did you guys do when you were
there?

We miss Umbria and still try to hold on to it as much as we can!

Best,

Min

jwhyt...@comcast.net

Oct 18, 2007, 8:50:41 AM10/18/07
to The Food Diaries
Hi Betsy- glad you could relive your experience through forking
delicious! And Wow- 5 cities, you must have had a lot to talk about as
we did too! I hope you all get the chance to go back- I too still
think about the "moments" in Italy and reflect on my experience with
food,people, small intimate towns...winding roads...and TRUFFLES...ah
those truffles!

hoover...@hotmail.com

Oct 18, 2007, 10:41:52 PM10/18/07
to The Food Diaries
Min,
We rented a bus through our villa rental company and travelled from
Rome to Collopepe. Our first Umbrian meal was at a wonderful
restaurant in Todi. We rented 2 vans and a car, and just took off!
Some of went to a termine near Citte di Stella; others went to the
winery in Montepulciano. We took off to spend a day, a night or two
in Florence. Those who spent a day went to Siena the next. Those who
spent a night visited David and the Uffizi. We all gorged ouselseves
on the market at San Lorenzo, and the jewelry shops on the Ponte
Vecchio. Our return took us to Deruta where and friend and I
purchased tables from Dommizio's factory showroom. We cut the price of
shipping by driving to NY in a pick-up two months later to get our
tables. We have wonderful stories that still make us laugh to
today.

With regards,
Betsy

hoover...@hotmail.com

Oct 18, 2007, 10:47:31 PM10/18/07
to The Food Diaries
One night at the villa a group of us cooked dinner for our gang of
18. I did pasta which I purchased at the wonderful 'corner store' in
Collopepe. We were told that anything we found in the Villa Cleofe
was ours. As I perused the pantry, I found a wonderful bottle of
olive oil to flavor the pasta. Everyone raved about it. My daughter
who travelled with me said 'Mom, that was the best pasta I've ever
eaten. We have to buy that olive oil you used before we leave, to
take with us'. When we found the bottle in the kitchen we, also,
discovered that it was white truffle oil (!) I had used quite a bit
in the pasta. 'No wonder it tasted so good!' she exclaimed.

> > Betsy Ivey- Hide quoted text -

mjk1025

Oct 22, 2007, 6:49:36 PM10/22/07
to The Food Diaries
Hi Betsy!

Wow! I'm exhausted (in an exhilirating way!) just from hearing about
all that your group did in 10 days!

Your trip sounds pretty similar to ours in that we had a very diverse
and large group of people. But even within our core Food Group, we
knew that we had different traveling styles and preferences, so we
made it clear from the beginning that apart from a cooking lesson with
the wonderful Melchiorre, Chef, and Donna's wedding, we'd be branching
out on our own. I for one, since I was traveling with family members
who were visiting Italy for the first time, wanted to be sure that
they got to see as much as possible, so in 10 days, we did Preggio,
Cortona, Umbertide, Siena, Orvieto, Venice and Roma! I'm probably
forgetting a few in between. My most memorable dining experience was
an all organic Italian brunch at Cristina's Campana right there in the
Niccone Valley; of course, Melchiorre's cooking lesson dinner-fest,
especially his duck, and surprisingly, Il Grotto del Teatro di Pompei
right in the Campo de Fiori in Rome.

Ahhhhh.... Italia! How I long for you! =)

mjk1025

Oct 22, 2007, 6:53:43 PM10/22/07
to The Food Diaries
Oh my goodness! I bottle of white truffle oil on pasta galore! No
wonder you were in heaven! ;-)

I remember my first flavor of Umbria during this trip, it was picking
fresh figs off the trees in the premises and enjoying them fresh while
we waited for our keys. Sitting back on lounge chairs, looking out
into the Umbrian countryside, our legs were tired and our shoulders
tense from the long journey, but slowly, our minds were giving way, to
the wonderful relaxation that awaited us, that which can only be
brought through the awakening of the senses...

Very best,

Min