Sovalo's Review No. 2

lesu

Nov 10, 2007, 12:56:32 AM11/10/07
to The Food Diaries
The 2006 Diaries featured a restaurant review last year of this
amazing Northern Liberties restaurant.

Tonight, my friends and I took made the unusual move of dining
somewhere none of us had been to before. Like many of our local
restaurants, we knew the menu at Sovalo's would be seasonal and were
not disappointed with this autumn's selections. We started with
several salads, including apple, pancetta and escarole topped with
poached egg, and this amazing puree of roast squash and apple soup
drizzled with truffle oil. We followed with a seemingly quiet duck
liver tortelli, which actually burst onto our palates, and linguine
with dried sausage, chopped clams and parsley. The pumpkin polenta by
itself seemed a bit bland but with the roast pork loin, the flavors
melted into a fine combination. I almost forgot the roast
cauliflower! Never my favorite vegetable but with a little anchovy
and lemon zest, it suddenly had potential in my future. As much as I
wanted to try the chocolate torte or the pumpkin bread pudding with
pomegranate sauce, it just seemed too much after such a meal.
Instead, we chose the almond tart with pears and chocolate & cherry
gelati as the perfect conclusion

The atmosphere was quiet and romantic. The server very courteous and
intuitive of when to be there and picked up immediately on our desire
to share. The portions were ideal, not too much but not too little. A
nice wine menu, by glass or bottle. Prices are a little on the higher
end but not unreasonable. Reservations are needed, especially on a
weekend, but it was definitely worth it. There was not one dish we
did not like, and we can be a picky bunch! I am very much
anticipating how the menu will taste for the winter!

I like having favorite restaurants to eat at but it is a lot more fun
trying out the unknown and the uncommon. It can be disappointing but
it's also amazing when you make such pleasurable discovery, especially
in the company of friends. If I don't manage to return, tonight will
still bring a smile to my lips, and senses.

mjk1025

Nov 12, 2007, 12:12:00 PM11/12/07
to The Food Diaries
Lesu,

What a memorable dinner experience!

I definitely want to try Sovalo's, if only for that hearty-enough for
the Fall, burst of flavors Salad, and definitely, the Pumpkin Polenta.
You know me, anything Pumpkin calls me right home!

Love,

Min