Old Standbys

1 view

Kathy

Apr 17, 2008, 9:07:39 AM4/17/08
to The Food Diaries
A friend from SF was in town over the weekend... so of course you
start thinking about the places you love that you want to share. There
are so many... but we all have old stand bys... spots that we go back
to again and again because they speak to us in that special way.

I return over and over to the Standard Tap at 2nd and Poplar in
Northern Liberties. http://www.standardtap.com/

Things I love best about it:

the casual, fun atmosphere and good music
the mix of old, young, hip and just folks
the faucet grill on the front door
outdoor seating
good beer selection
the food, of course, but specifically the mussells.

The mussells at the Tap are my favorite in town... and they get stiff
competion from a couple venues... but the Tap serves up a big bowl of
juicy mussells in a spicy sauce of lemon, wine, garlic, tomatoes with
sausage and a big roasted hot pepper for kick. I cannot get enough of
the mussels!

So, off we went to the Tap to gorge on mussells, fried smelts and
beer. A don't forget the good bread to sop up the sauce! Yummy.

So - what are your old standbys?

DONN...@yahoo.com

Apr 17, 2008, 9:53:53 AM4/17/08
to The Food Diaries
Wow you got me thinking.

I guess it would have to be the Rose Tattoo @ 19th and Callowhill.

It can be casual, or romantic or a place you can just have fun at the
bar.

The food is always consistant and the menu doesn't change much so when
you go back for your favorite it's still there.

I have to also include Moriarty's on 11th & Walnut.
I actually had my first drink there so many moons ago.
They still have the best wings, burger and drinks.

jwhyt...@comcast.net

Apr 21, 2008, 9:04:16 PM4/21/08
to The Food Diaries
I love the Rose Tattoo- My sisters and I ate there quite a few years
ago- what a fabulous meal we ALL had!! We always meant to get back
there.....Jim and I really like La Fontana's in Hatboro- Italian/
American I would say.... Food is always good- and you can count on
your old favorites on the menu plus some specials... the Pinot Gregio
is Ice cold, salad is simple but fresh and de- lish, and even your
after dinner coffee is perfect. I usually get the canneloni stuffed
with seafood in a Rose sauce....Although last time I got the pan
seared scallops w/ grilled salmon in a lobster cream sauce...I have to
stop writing because my mouth is starting to water!!! But we have our
"spots" for breakfast- best banana/walnut pancakes- or the best
homefries- that would be "Daddypops" in Hatboro.....And the Pineville
Tavern in Pineville for pub food with a twist! They always do
something interesting on their specials...now I'm really starting to
get hungry!!!