RECIPE: Tagliatelli with Oyster Mushrooms

mjk1025

Nov 12, 2007, 9:40:07 PM11/12/07
to The Food Diaries
Ingredients:
- 1 package of Italian tagliatelli pasta.
- 6 cups of oyster mushrooms, cleaned and separated, cut large ears in
half
- 5 fresh sage leaves (extra for garnish)
- great italian olive oil to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of fresh, toasted, peeled and chopped (halved or quartered)
hazelnuts
- 85% Valhrona chocolate, zested, to taste
- Graded pecorino romano cheese to taste
- 1.5 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1 cup of simple syrup (equal weight sugar and water dissolved)
- 1 tablespoon of Chambord liquor

Method:

- Boil large pot of water with a tablespoon of salt for pasta and cook
the pasta.
- Heat large skillet with olive oil and very lightly sautee mushrooms
with fresh sage, season with salt and pepper (don't overcook
mushrooms!). Start this soon after you start boiling the pasta.
- Add the hazelnuts to the mushrooms and toss.
- Use a large prong to pick up the cooked pasta from the pot and add
directly to mushrooms, and toss lightly.
- Season again with salt and pepper to taste. Make sure that you get
the sage through, if the flavor is too undetectable, feel free to add
another 2 leaves or so.
- Take zester, and zest chocolate all over pasta (about 5
tablespoons). The chocolate will melt immediately, and disappear as
soon as you toss.
- Drizzle some more olive oil all around pasta and transfer onto a
large serving plate, being careful to spread the mushrooms and
hazelnuts all over the top of the pasta.

- This can be done in advance: lightly cook the cranberries in the
simple syrup just until it's about to pop.
- Transfer the cranberries onto a separate plate and toss with
Chambord.

- Cover the entire pasta dish with the Pecorino romano.
- Zest chocolate again all over the pasta.
- Add the cranberries to the center of the dish (it will be mixed when
serving)
- Garnish with fresh sage leaves.

DONN...@yahoo.com

Nov 13, 2007, 9:03:50 AM11/13/07
to The Food Diaries
I had the leftovers last night, just as good.
Kathy I haven't had your crisp yet, if Jim doesn't beat me to it today
while he's home, I'll be heating it up tonight.

Question
When heating leftovers do you use the oven or microwave?

I find leftovers taste better when I take the time to heat them in the
oven. You get the full effect and of course the smells.

mjk1025

Nov 13, 2007, 11:23:31 PM11/13/07
to The Food Diaries
In general, I like heating food in the oven better, something about
gas fire...

However, I heard that heating veggies in the microwave concentrates
the flavor better, something scientific about it...

Kathy

Nov 14, 2007, 7:55:15 PM11/14/07
to The Food Diaries
I had so much fruit and topping leftover that I made a small crisp for
home. We're heating it tonight and the smell of apples a cinnamon
fills the house.

I never heat anything in the microwave that includes bread, crust or
anything that should not get soggy. The steam ruins pizza crust, pie,
etc. Veggies supposedly steam from within, sealing in the vitamins.
And the nuker is great in a time crunch. But I prefer the oven and
good old aluminum foil.