Philadelphia Fine Dining

Kathy

Feb 23, 2008, 9:13:33 AM2/23/08
to The Food Diaries
Just picked up the latest Philadelphia Magazine to check out the 50
Best Phila Restaurants. Phila is a food town, though often overlooked
by folks on the outside. There is a long tradition of neighborhood
BYOBs and affordable, good food.

The Steven Starr phenomenon seems to have ignited a long term swell of
spots that serve excellent food -- well prepared and well presented --
in lovely surroundings.

So, of the 50 restaurants... which have you been to? And what did you
like (or not like)?

I've been to La Croix (love the wine tastings with Eric Simonis),
James (thanks, Dianna!). Striped Bass, Standard Tap (a fave), Ansill
(a fave), Bistro 7, Vietnam, North 3rd, El Vez, Tequilas, Sovalo (a
fave)... and am itching to check out the others. (I am scheduled for
Le Bec Fin in March with my aunt and uncle!)

jwhyt...@comcast.net

Feb 26, 2008, 8:01:48 AM2/26/08
to The Food Diaries
Being from the suburbs I have to confess that I have not taken
advantage of city dining- When my sister worked in town for quite a
few years- she would keep me abreast of all the great restaurants she
frequented- I would listen with envy-she made it sound so exciting-
honestly, I thought she "hit" every pub/restaurant there! I know one
of her favorite spots was "The Saloon". I have eaten at Ruth Chris
steak house, Jones, Continental, Tangerine, a few others.... I was
thinking at some point I would make it a habit to try Philadelphia
restaurants at least monthly if not every other....but it just never
happened for one reason or another...parking,time,$,kids...just seemed
over whelming to get there...perhaps that will be a "Hobby" of mine
when I retire...to visit and critique all the restaurants of
Philadelphia!!! I really enjoy hopping the train and hitting the
Reading terminal market and browsing and tasting my way
around...getting inspired to create a new dinner, bringing home
good,fresh food.....perhaps even treating myself to a new knife or
kitchen gadget while I'm out! I still have my favorite "chef" knife
from a previous visit......all this talk of Phila....I'm thinking it's
time for another train ticket!

Kathy

Apr 8, 2008, 8:54:59 AM4/8/08
to The Food Diaries
Forking Delicious at Di Brunos? Or over to Susanna Foo's?
We could make our June event an outing... Italian Market, Fante's, The
Spice Shop and Di Brunos.
> > Le Bec Fin in March with my aunt and uncle!)- Hide quoted text -

DONN...@yahoo.com

Apr 9, 2008, 10:21:46 AM4/9/08
to The Food Diaries
Let's set a date before Kathy leaves for Italy if possible. I suggest
Susanna Foo we have not seen her since last summer.

Marder, Dianna

Apr 9, 2008, 12:44:44 PM4/9/08
to DONN...@yahoo.com, The Food Diaries
hey guys -- pardon me for butting in, but....
I am writing about a place in East Oak Lane (a hidden neighborhood, not far from cheltenham) where a local couple has started a cafe and they need help -- its charming but they don't even have an oven yet. but they're making great food with what they've got.
It's called Under the Oak and I bet they would fall in love with Forking Delicious.

215-949-1410; 804 oak lane, phila., pa. 19126
they only do bfast and lunch; open until 7 most days; sundays 10-3;

Dianna Marder
The Philadelphia Inquirer
400 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, Pa. 19130
215-854-4211
dma...@phillynews.com
read my previous work online: <http://go.philly.com/diannamarder>.

Marder, Dianna

Apr 9, 2008, 12:53:57 PM4/9/08
to Marder, Dianna, DONN...@yahoo.com, The Food Diaries
and here's another option
LeVirtu
1927 east passyunk avenue
215-271-5626
run by a couple who went to Italy on vaca, brought back a chef , and std a restaurant.
craig loved it. (see 3/23/08 review)

jwhyt...@comcast.net

Apr 10, 2008, 8:20:44 AM4/10/08
to The Food Diaries
Hi Dianna! Thanks for the tips- they sound like interesting places and
I for one would love to try either for lunch- And Susanna Foo sounds
good too Donna- Looks like we have some dining to do in the next few
months!! Looking forward to it!!