packaging doc status

Tarek Ziadé

May 30, 2011, 6:49:44 AM5/30/11
to The fellowship of the packaging
Hello

what's the status about the doc ? I'd like to push it asap so we can
ask people to try out pysetup etc

if nothing has evolved I will push it as it is now and we can continue
in cpython

Cheers
Tarek
--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org

Tarek Ziadé

May 31, 2011, 9:01:36 AM5/31/11
to The fellowship of the packaging
I'll merge the doc tonight unless I get a word on this. The work can
continue in cpython

Cheers

Éric Araujo

Jun 1, 2011, 1:25:10 PM6/1/11
to the-fellowship-...@googlegroups.com
Fellows,

I have finished my work on improving the structure and content of the
packaging docs for merging. I have pushed my changes to the old
conversion repo (it’s an unclean push that makes the repo have two
heads, but it does not matter as the repo is orphaned):
https://bitbucket.org/tarek/cpython/changeset/30c61d2acdbb and children.

(The bitbucket UI does not let you navigate changesets by children, so
pulling and using hg log or Tortoise to read the changes would be more
useful.)

I welcome any comment, question or request for change.

I asked on python-dev about the final layout of the docs but got no
response; my current idea is to replace the old distutils-based
“Installing Python Modules” and “Distributing Python Modules” by the
Packaging-based documents (respectively enduser/ and packaging/), and
add the API reference (from developer/) into Doc/library/packaging.*.

I’m especially satisfied with the API reference; I moved stuff from
other parts and extracted docstrings to put it in good shape. I deem
that the doc is in a correct state right now; when we push it, we can
use the bug tracker to dispatch the remaining work and make it good,
then great.

After review, I would like to request the privilege of adding the
documentation to the upstream CPython repo.

Regards

Tarek Ziadé

Jun 1, 2011, 1:27:28 PM6/1/11
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Éric Araujo <win...@netwok.org> wrote:

> After review, I would like to request the privilege of adding the
> documentation to the upstream CPython repo.

Please push it now, I am sure it's fine as it is now, and we can
improve it there if people have comments

Thanks for this work

> Regards

Tarek Ziadé

Jun 1, 2011, 1:28:23 PM6/1/11
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Éric Araujo <win...@netwok.org> wrote:
>>
>> After review, I would like to request the privilege of adding the
>> documentation to the upstream CPython repo.
>
> Please push it now, I am sure it's fine as it is now, and we can
> improve it there if people have comments
>
> Thanks for this work

Just to be clear: do a single push as "initial commit". We don't want
to keep any history of changesets :D

Cheers