Sons of Monarchy

The Family Table Devotions

Dec 21, 2020, 12:51:45 PM12/21/20
to The Family Table Devotions

Last time (see "Jesus is King") I tried to impart a sense of intrigue, entitlement,  and protection that we think belongs to living under a monarchy. The  entitled nobility, the protected peasantry and the interaction between the classes in the name of the king.   Much of what we imagine is an idealized and fictionalized version of a political system that has been around for millennia. However, I promised you a more excellent way to think about it.

We are sons of the monarchy. Not in the sense that  we are "in line for the throne"; we are brothers to the King! The Father King has given the kingdom to his sons, foremost to Jesus, and we share in that Kingdom. In the EHV version of the Bible Matthew uses "kingdom" 54 times, Mark uses it 19 times, Luke 45 times. Paul in 1 Corinthians tells us Jesus will return the Kingdom back to the Father:

For as in Adam they all die, so also in Christ they all will be made alive. But each in his own order: Christ as the firs fruits and then Christ’s people, at his coming. Then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father, after he has done away with every other ruler and every other authority and power. For he must reign “until he has put all his enemies under his feet.” Death is the last enemy to be done away with. Certainly, “he has put all things in subjection under his feet.” Now when it says that all things have been put in subjection, obviously that does not include the one who subjected all things to him. But when all things have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to the one who subjected all things to him, in order that God may be all in all.

From <https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians+15&version=EHV>

This is the Advent we are waiting for! Parenthetically, at the beginning of Advent, one of the Gospel lessons from Matthew 25 (parable of the Talents) told of the master entrusting his possessions to his servants: when he returned, the servants returned all that was the master's. Paul is restating that thought here, Jesus returning all that belongs to the Father, you and I are included!

We are at the same time sons, brothers, and subjects of the King. Confusing? These are all relational words: as one part moves, the relationship moves also.

 Indeed, as many of you as were baptized into Christ have been clothed with Christ. There is not Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female, for you are all one and the same in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants and heirs according to the promise.

From <https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians%203%3A27%2D29&version=EHV>

The world should see it's kingdoms as portrayed in 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, 1 and 2 Chronicles: brief moments of a good king, but for the most part wars, death, destruction, all sorts of evil that men will do. There is a warning in 1 Samuel 8 about earthly kings and Israel. Two notable verses: 1) The Lord said to Samuel, “Listen to the voice of the people regarding everything they have said to you, because it is not you whom they have rejected. I am the one they have rejected as king over them." 2) "You will cry out because of your king whom you have chosen for yourselves, but the Lord will not answer you on that day."

However, you have not chosen a king. The King has chosen you to be in the royal family:

He did this when he chose us in Christ before the foundation of the world, so that we would be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ. He did this in accordance with the good purpose of his will, and for the praise of his glorious grace, which he has graciously given us in the one he loves.

From <https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians%201%3A4%2D6&version=EHV>

As the Advent season draws to a close, remember the King will come again soon.

Christ's Peace and Trust the Promises,

Steve Skiver

john hayman

Dec 22, 2020, 12:34:11 PM12/22/20